Would a bad tub effect the LED on the footswitch of my Two Rock?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Yossi, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Yossi

Yossi Member

I took my used two rock emeral 50 out of the box and there is no lead channel. No sound period out of lead, only clean. The foot switch LED only lights up when Bypass is pressed there is no LED for the Lead channel. Even when the footswitch is disconnected there is no lead channel. I think that the second position 12AX7 tube is bad because when I switched it to the rhythm channel there was no sound at all for the amp, whereas when the bad tube was in the lead channel I still had a clean amp. The switching didn't change the footswitch though and it doesn't light up for the lead. Could this be related to the tube or is it more likely that there is a switch problem with the amp. Should I put in tube from an other amp or is that not smart?

Your advice is welcome.

Yossi

2. scottl

scottl Member

Jeff,

Take a look at the V1 and V2 tubes. Sometimes a tube is cracked or loses vacuum. If that happens, the flash turns white. You could sub any 12ax7 there for troubleshooting sake.

Sounds like a bum tube.

Tube brands matter in this type of amp and I suggest experimenting to get your tone!

Congrats on the purchase!

Scott

3. Yossi

Yossi Member

Thanks Scott,

I just got off the phone with Two Rock and they think that the relay went bad and that is the reason for the footswitch and the lead switch not working.

Where do you recomend that I get the tubes I'll need to experiment with the sound without spending a fortune?

The amp has telefunken tubes a mullard and then GE output tubes.

All the best,

4. Adam

Adam Member

I have had the blue (lead) LED burn out a couple of times.
    Although your problem is different it is an easy fix to replace the LED if it does burn out. Even Radio Shack carrys a selection of the bright LEDS in stock.
    FYI

Adam

5. Yossi

Yossi Member

I must not have made myself clear. The entire lead channel doesn't work. That is the reason that the blue light wont go on.
    Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Yossi