1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Would a bandmaster work for a nice blues tone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Legendofamind7, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Legendofamind7

Legendofamind7 Member

I'm thinking about getting a blackface bandmaster...wondering if it would give me a nice blues breakup that I could push with a treble booster into nice lead tones. Then just clean up with my guitars volume knob. With 40 watts I was thinking about getting a custom 3x10 weber cab for it. Volume wise would it be good for small clubs/bars? Thanks for any input.

2. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Most folks would suggest a Fender amp that's tube rectified for more sag in the tone for blues. The Bandmaster is not generally ranked very high in the Fender pecking order - with apologises to those who love theirs.

My 69 Vibrolux Reverb is a killer blues amp that has that warm Fender breakup at mid volume. A hugely dynamic amp.

3. muddy

muddy Member

ahem... my 1st amp was a '59 bandmaster (with the cab), and it did cream/clapton blues tones FOR DAYZ!!! with NO pedal!

ml

4. karmadave

karmadave Member

A BF Bandmaster will definitely get you a nice Blues tone! Pedals are optional depending on how loud you can crank it too. A 3x10" cabinet should work very well. These are great amps and one of the bargins still out there in vintage Fender-land IMHO. Of course a Tweed Bandmaster would be awsome, but even the good repros run at least $1,500...

-KD

5. nickdahl

nickdahl Member

My first real guitar rig included a 63 Bandmaster, which I used as a "preamp," back in 1983. I'll attach a photo:

[​IMG]

I would plug my guitar into the Bandmaster, and would just about dime everything, except the vibrato knobs. The Bandmaster ran into a Power Soak, then the soaked signal went into the Super Six Reverb head, and out a 2x12 and 4x12. Tube life was very short, and I believe this amp had a tube rectifier, that got replaced by a solidstate one.

The blues tone was excellent but the amp also excelled at rock tones...the "High 'n Dry" Def Leppard tone was what I was shooting for, at least back then.

Nick

6. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

A blackface Bandmaster can be made to sing by itself, but it'll take turning it WAY up, with humbuckers. The resulting volume (esp in a 3x10) may not be practical; depends on your small club's definition of loud. The feel of the amp will be pretty stiff. It was designed to stay clean with single-coil guitars of the 1960s.

One other option in the blackface Fender line:

Find a blackface Tremolux. Smaller trannies and a bit less power mean power tube saturation at somewhat more workable volume levels.

You can also run blackface Fender amps with an A/B/Y pedal and make one channel your clean rhythm tone, and crank the other for your lead tone. Neat two-channel amp for $500.

Both the BF BM and the BF T-lux are bargains in today's vintage amp market.

Kiwi

7. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

Bandmasters and any old Fender amp are great for getting a "bluesy" tone. It is true that all those great old Fender amps don't sound the same, thanks to Leo.

Buy one, and create your own sound.

Steve

8. joel

joel Member

What's the going price for a BF Tremolux? thnx/jd

9. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

I got mine this year, very clean, unmodded, for $500 from one of these boards.

You're in California - local reports suggest prices are higher there, as you guys are wising up to the value of old BF's sooner than the rest of the country... !

My sources at GC said GC is starting to buy and hoard the blackface amps as the next vintage amp to go up in value. My local GC had a nice BF T-lux for 18 months, wouldn't budge off the $999 tag price. (Well, just for me, they went all the way down to $899.) No thanks. I hit the gear boards, and got one for $500.

= K

10. Legendofamind7

Legendofamind7 Member

11. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

I have a '69 Bandmaster Reverb that definitely does sing the blues and does it well.

12. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

My BF Bandmaster is usually set around 6 on the volume, and it responds to boosters very well. My 12dB boost on my guitar gets it from clean to lead tones, without blowing the house down. Haven't tried a treble-booster.
    I know some people like to swap out the transformer for a Bassman trans. but mine can get very loud stock. I use a closed-back 2X12 with Weber 12F150 speakers. For me it's the perfect amp.