Would a cab with one speaker forward and one facing backward add dimension?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by XXTwighlight, Feb 17, 2012.

1. XXTwighlight

XXTwighlight Supporting Member

If you made a custom cab with one speaker facing the audience and the other next to it (as a normal 212), but facing the rear wall.

Would the sound bounce from the wall and create a cool atmospheric possibly 3D dimensional sound?

I'm serious...I'm just loaded with ideas both good and bad... and odd.

Maybe you'd blow the drummers ears out though...?

2. rockonomics

rockonomics Member

I don't think you're really gonna do anything but piss off said drummer. It's surprising what you can do just by putting two speakers at a slight angle to project sound over a wider angle. Sound bouncing off and creating a 3D effect? You'd have to be in a huge room where the speed of sound has an effect. IIRC the speed of sound is somewhere in the 600 mph range, so in small rooms any sound bouncing would be negligible.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_sound
    I lied. 768 mph. I'm an airplane mech and I forgot dat? I should be beaten. With a whip. Til I beg fo' mo'

3. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Not much different rom a 2x12 open back cab.

4. SteveO

SteveO Member

The main difference would be that the open back wouldn't have the same punch as a closed back cab, so you would probably have to do something similar to the Mesa Road King cabs to get the best of both worlds...

5. Brazen

Brazen Member

If you do that I think you'd need to reverse wire the back speaker so they will be in phase together.