Would a Dunlop EP103 delay be redundant if i already have a Keeley Mag Echo?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Recreation Achieved, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Recreation Achieved

Recreation Achieved Member

Looking to grab a second delay pedal, one with tap tempo and longer delay times. I have a Keeley Mag Echo (actually i have the Caverns Delay/Reverb whose delay side is the mag echo). Its a great delay, i love how it stays out of the way if you want it to and creates a nice atmosphere and sense of space.

Im looking at the Echoplex EP103 for its tap tempo and long delay times. However, if its just too similar to the Mag Echo, I'm looking at the Walrus ARP 87 for something a little different.

So, EP103, redundant or a nice addition to the Mag Echo?

2. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

The EP103 is my favorite compact tape delay pedal and I have a real Fulltone SSTE tape delay unit. I’d rather have the EP103 with Tap than the Mag Echo. I had a Caverns and really wanted to like the delay because the reverb was great, but I didn’t love it. Plus, delays without tap tempo don’t really do it for me. Is it redundant? Yes, but you could keep the one you prefer and sell the other. That said, something like the ARP-87 or Alexander Quadrant would give you some alternative delay tones. I’d probably go with the Alexander (and the EP-103). ;)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Abram4235 and BearBryan like this.
  3. BearBryan

BearBryan Member

The Ep 103 is really good. The tape age feature and tap tempo are what caused me to sell my Belle Epoch.

4. Recreation Achieved

Recreation Achieved Member

Thanks for your reply @Gallery . Could you comment on the differences between your EP103 and the Mag Echo side of the Caverns? Thanks!

5. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

I found the Caverns too dark on the initial repeat for my taste and not as realistic as the EP103.

People talk about tape delay being dark and warm, but that is probably because they've never played a new tape unit with a new tape. Their only reference is pedals that seek to emulate a worn in tape machine and tape.

Sure they can get darker as the tape degrades, but that's not how they were meant to sound. I prefer the sound of a unit in good working condition with a new tape. The EP103 nails this perfectly, then when you add the modulation it darkens and degrades the tone. The Caverns was dark without modulation. Also the EP103 just sounded more tape-ish overall to me. At least it sounded more like my SSTE.

The SSTE repeats jump out at you with a bright attack then fade off with a warm ambient feel. The EP103 does this. Most other tape delay pedals apply the same darker ambiance warmth to the initial repeats as they do the later ones. By no means was the Caverns a bad unit. It just wasn't to my taste. Many people prefer the darker repeats. I really hated selling the Caverns because it was awesome when taken as a whole (delay + reverb), but the EP103 got all my tape delay duties and it wasn't getting used.