Would a Fuchs ODS be right for me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by forgivenman, Feb 21, 2009.

1. forgivenman

forgivenman Member

My situation: I had an amp built for me several years ago buy a company called Toad Suck Tones. For many reasons I've never been very happy with it. It's a 35 watt two channel affair that can run on (get this) 6DZ7 tubes or 6L6's or KT77's. It has reverb and a boost circuit as well as individual tone controls for each channel. It also has a series effects loop.

I emailed Andy and let me know that he could modify my amp into an ODS style amp for a very reasonable price (thanks again Andy).

My style: I find myself playing primarily either SRV or Eric Johnson inspired songs mostly although lately I've been really enjoying Gary Moore's lead tone as well.

Sooooooooooooo... Will an ODS get me there?

2. dankayaker

dankayaker Member

I just got and ODS 50 and I would say that it will do the Blackface inspired SRV type tones and get reasonably close to Moores tones (though a Marshall or SLO would be a better pick for that tone IMO).

The ODS has a really nice crunch tone that is rich and fairly open sounding (more so than other amps in this class). Sustain and controlled feedback all over the place. Wonderful amp.

3. rrhea

rrhea Member

I have an ODS 30 and it is one of the best sounding amps I have ever heard. Very liquidy leads with a ton of gain on tap and nice, bright, punchy shimmering cleans.

The only thing I wish mine had is a good internal footswitchable boost for soloing. Maybe Andy could build that in for you?

I think you'll be quite happy with a Fuchs!

RR

4. jazzgtrl4

jazzgtrl4 Supporting Member

Hey. I had Andy do this to my ODS100. I have a 6 way artist footswitch. I had him add another master volume on the amp.That was my "boost Volume" for clean soloing. He then added it on the footswitch as well.

5. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

SRV used mostly Fenders and Marshalls (and yes a Steel Stringer but that's not your typical Dumble), as does Eric Johnson. Gary Moore uses Marshalls. All used various pedals.

I've owned four different ODS's, and several other D clone types. IMHO, an ODS will get you closest to Gary Moore. The others.....not so much. I think a Marshall or Fender with pedals would cover your needs a bit better overall.