Would a hollowbody bass work any better for me?

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by Figaro, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

I'm going to be playing in a band with 2 acoustic guitars and drums that plays americana, country and light rock. I have a Fender classic Vibe Jazz but I'm wondering if a hollowbody bass work work better for this type of music?

Also, I actually think a short scale bass may be easier to me to play. So if a hollowbody, do you recommend a violin type like a Hofner/Epi Viola or larger body like the Ibanez Artcore AGB200? Thanks for your help!

2. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Member

Work better? No, not really. You can get better (more upright-ish) sound by stringing with flats or tape wound strings, turning down the bridge p/u and raising the other, and playing the strings closer to the neck.

Personally, I'm not real keen on the humbuckers used in most hollow body basses, but the basses look good. One issue with hollow body basses is they are somewhat more prone to feedback.

3. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

I agree with the above post. . .I've got an old '60's Hofner "Beatle" bass, strung with flat wounds, and a Tobia 5 string bass. . .Neither will really get the sound of an upright, especially, since you will be amplifying the sound. . .but, I do find the Hofner easier to play (short scale), and it's about half the weight of the Tobias.

4. sixstringslut

sixstringslut Member

P Basses work with everything, Jazz is close second. Unfortunately, there is only one way to get a real upright sound. IMO It would help on the band visuals as well, but they are not for everyone and a amplifing/travel nightmare.
    I never cared for the sound of acoustic/electric basses, too muddy/woofy/waffley/wambley sounding.

5. jamsk

jamsk Member

You might also consider a Kala acoustic UBass uke if you want something small and light with a good thumpy upright sound.

6. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Member

Depends on the acoustic bass guitar. My Thunderchief CB10E garners compliments every time I use it. Very upright-ish. I also play (and own) an upright. No problems amplifying (Upton Rev II pickup, K&K preamp, GK MB200 w/ GN STL-8T cab) but speaker placement and stage position make a big difference. My car (Honda Element) was bought with the bass in mind. My wife calls it the $15K bass case.

7. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Member

It's a ukelele. Played one, interesting, but a novelty nonetheless.

8. biffonbass

biffonbass Member

Agree about the Ubass.
    Sounds cool and is super light and small.
    Although it'll make you work on your technique and show you your faults.
    The soft polymer strings take a little getting use to, and can get sticky if not wiped out occasionally.
    Otherwise, pick thru them, quality can vary a bit, but the price is good if
    you don't mind playing Chinese made.

9. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

I really just want a inexpensive short scale bass that sounds good and is easy to play. I have narrowed it down between a Squire modified Jaguar SS bass or an Epi Viola bass. Opinions appreciated