1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Would a les paul guy enjoy an SG??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by riffpowers, Mar 3, 2006.

1. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

I'm GASIN real hard for a p90 loaded workhorse guitar.
    I'm weighing up wether to get a 2nd hand lp special and swap out the p100's, or maybe a lp faded.
    But I've always had a soft spot for black SG's, and a local shop has a black SG classic in stock.Iommi tastic!!
    My question is....would someone who has played les pauls for such a long time like the playability and tone of an SG classic??
    I'm looking for phat stoner p90 tone.

2. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

I used to play Les Pauls for a while, but I didn't fully jive with them. I've always heard that SGs were thin, sustainless guitars, so I stayed away from them. After trying tons of different stuff, I think SGs just work better for me than Pauls. The doublecut design makes upper fret access a breeze and the looks just work for me better (even though I originally hated them - I'm still trying to figure that one out ;) ).

In short, give it a try! SGs aren't for everyone, but they are fine guitars and this is the time to buy them (they are priced significantly cheaper than Les Pauls). Only some time with an SG will let you know if it's something that you're looking for :)

3. mbratch

mbratch Member

Are you after an SG or a P90 guitar? They're not the same thing. Some SGs have P90s. You can also get LPs with P90s, and SG's with humbuckers.

4. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I played a really nice SG at Gibson's semi during the Spartanburg show last weekend (yes, really - a new Gibson that played great!). I'm a Les Paul player primarily, but the sound and playability of this particular SG made it really hard to put down.

The one issue I have with an SG is I tend to play everything a step too high at first. The neck joins the body differently from what it does on a Les Paul, so that "fretting zone" that my hand plays in has moved to the left a little bit.

5. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

I just bought an SG Standard. I'm really pleased with it! Doesn't do my back in like my LP. Great tone too!

6. TestierWheat

TestierWheat Member

I have two Les Pauls and an SG Classic. I have no problem switching between the Les Pauls and the SG. I think you will enjoy the difference in tone the p90's offer.

The playing position of a Les Paul is far different from the SG. Although, I don't think it is so strange that you couldn't adapt. Furthermore, the SG has a lighter thinner body that IMO makes the SG a more comfortable guitar to play.

7. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

So true! Playing the SG is more like wearing a strat than a LP. It's so much more comfortable with the thin body and rounded shoulders, especially sitting down.

8. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

Just to clarify, I have P90's in my LP custom, but really I wanted to get a good quality p90 workhorse guitar so I don't have to worry about dinging my custom.Whatever I get will be my main practice/gig guitar, so I was worried that the SG might be a step too far from the LP playability wise for me.I'm not too bothered about weight , its more tone and playability I'm interested in.I just wondered wether the SG classic would be a good choice, or wether it would be too far away from a les paul for me to gel with.

9. tjs

tjs Senior Member

Derek Trucks gets what I consider to be the best tone ever from an SG. It's anything but thin.

Not many other SG players have a thick tone like his, though.

10. TestierWheat

TestierWheat Member

I don't think you will find it too wierd. Other than the toggle switch all the controls are the same. I love my SG Classic. Out of my roughly 15 guitars my $800 SG Classic is in the top 3.

11. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

I enjoyed an SG Special with P90s for around 24 years. Great guitars. You might also consider an LP Special Double Cutaway. New faded models are available for $7-800 and they are definitely a guitar for gigging and worry-free, enthusiastic use. I recently got a new faded double-cut, and my positive impressions are summarized here:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=135186

Best wishes. I love p90s! :BEER

12. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I love the DC Special shape and layout- but for some reason the SG contours and stuff don't work for me. I think it's a cool lookin' guitar, it's a great sounding guitar- it's just not the same for me.

13. HHB

HHB Member

yep, all those new Gibsons were spot on, I was impressed by the same SG

14. Cees van Bavel

Cees van Bavel Member

I have a SG Standard on which I installed Voodoo humbuckers.

Meanest fattest sounds I could ever get out of a Gibson!

15. Rich

Rich Member

You can hang with an SG Classic (great guitars, BTW), but it defintely will feel a lot different.

If I were you, Id check out the LP Studio Gems they used to make. On ebay regularly. They'll be a much closer fit to what you're accustomed to.

16. bryan83

bryan83 Member

I got an SG Standard with WCR Fillmores that I is set for slide. Definitly worth checking out. Yea its not going to sound as big as LP but still worth checking out for yourself.

17. jw71

jw71 Member

I've had three LP's and four SG's. I much prefer SG's I have always thought that LP's had too thick of a tone. I like the "squankiness" of my SG standard and the fact that when you push an amp with it, it stays cleaner sounding while still overdriving.

But hey, that's just me. YMMV.

18. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

I've had about 10 Pauls and 2 SGs. Personally I prefer the tone of a Les Paul but both SGs sounded fine as well. One was a red '65 with 2 humbuckers and one was a white one from the early 60s that had 1 bridge P-90 and said Les Paul on the headstock.

19. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

One of the best sounding guitars I've played was a Historic SG Special reissue. A slab of mahogany, two P90s and a wrap bridge. Fine!

PS - I've been primarily a LP player most of my life. Recently picked both Fender and S guitars, no problem adapting.

20. ratkent

ratkent Member

I play mainly LPs but I came I across a really nice playing SG Standard that I just had to have. Since I have so many humbucking equipped guitars I decided to put some P94s in it and now I really like it.

[​IMG]