Would a V30 be an upgrade to a Tech21 Power Engine 60?

Clifford-D

I posted this here because you all know speakers.

I have a Kemper profiler and need a powered cab, for now I'm happy to use the Tech 21 Power Engine 60. It has a Celestion Seventy80 stock.

I've had great success with the Vintage 30 in my Fender amps, produces a tone that just moves me,, would it be an upgrade for the PE60?

And, what are your thoughts on the Seventy80 speaker in general?

thanks

Promit

You want an even handed speaker with a modeler or profiler. V30 is extremely the wrong choice. The Seventy80 makes a shoddy guitar speaker IMO, but it might be decent in that application. If you really want an upgrade, I would think about an EVM or Delta Pro.

UncleLarry

A V30 has a strong mid to low-mid voice with somewhat rolled off highs and a tight but strong low end response that rolls off sharply below 150hz. Sounds great in a loud band mix with a normal amp.

The Seventy 80 is a little more neutral with a peak at around 1200hz which can make it sound brighter. It's also not as loud as a V30.

I don't think the V30 is a wrong choice, but it will certainly color the sound of the Kemper more than the Seventy 80.

Phletch

You want an even handed speaker with a modeler or profiler. V30 is extremely the wrong choice. The Seventy80 makes a shoddy guitar speaker IMO, but it might be decent in that application. If you really want an upgrade, I would think about an EVM or Delta Pro.
+1 on the EVM.

I love the V30 with my Mesa, but the amp is voiced for that speaker; it's part of what gives the amp its character, a "signature sound." The V30 is a "colored" or voiced speaker that focuses on mids.

For an uncolored sound that will work with different profiles and cover a wide spectrum response, go for the EVM.

mikewashmo

Isn't a neutral speaker pretty much the main idea behind the Tech21 PE? You don't want to color the sound of the modeler any and the 70-80 is great for that. I use a PE with an HD500 and the purpose of the neutral speaker is to just amplify what you model in your headphones so everyone can hear it. I think the stock PE does a great job of that at a good price, IMHO.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Yup, want neutral. The EVM12 idea is great because you'd get more volume. The Power Engine always felt to me like a small 30w amp in terms of real volume, but part of that was the buzzing and farting of the stock speaker. Drop in an EV or a Neo speaker to keep the weight down and I'm guessing it'd wake it up a LOT!

LJOHNS

I put a Wizard in mine - I wanted a little more vintage sounding tone and it works very well.

Clifford-D

Well, it's good news the seventy/80 was a good choice and not just going with a more inexpensive speaker.

Still, I'd like to check out a variety of speakers someday.
Now,,, where can I do that???

Trending Topics