Would a ZVex BOR & Fuzz Factory work well with a tweed amp?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Matts Tone, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Matts Tone

Matts Tone Member

Having seriously cut back on my effects since purchasing a Divided By 13 CJ11 which is basically a modded Fender Tweed deluxe. The amp is fantastic & I think works best with fewer effects that's why currently I'm only keeping a Keeler Pull (light overdrive) & Malekko D300 (for some ambient delay tone).

I would like to purchase 1 or maybe 2 effects in the overdrive/distortion/fuzz category. I've liked Zvex pedals in the past BUT have always found that like any effect Zvex effects work better with certain amps than others!!

I have in the past owned the Fuzz factory & Box Of Rock when I owned a Mesa Lonestar Classic which if I can recall worked pretty well with both effects!! I think that amp was using EL34's.
    I last year got a Vicky Bassman & after selling my first BOR wanted to try it out again BUT the BOR didn't play as well as I remembered with the Lonestar!!

BUT now that I own a Fender Tweed deluxe style amp I was wandering would a Fuzz Factory & Box Of Rock fit in with the tone with a 6V6 style amp?

Have any of you tried the ZVex BOR &/or Fuzz factory with a tweed deluxe style amp?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide me with!!

2. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

Funny you posted this, I just got my Fender blues deville back in from repair, took 3 months, had it modded and changed the output tranny after the original failed. The box of rock had a good clean bite when paired with the deville almost marshall, As for the fuzz factory: it sounds ok but I don't think the fender liked all the self oscillation the ff produces, the amp itself produced extra noises aside the fuzz/interference effect :D Overall the BoR /Deville worked nicely, I can reccomend a Fuzz Face or Sunface with a fender style amp those seem to sound better to my ears vs the zvex.

3. Canadian Steve

Canadian Steve Member

I'm using 3 Zvex drive pedals into my tweed Swart Space Tone 6V6se with great results! I'm running guitar > Analogman/Digitech Whammy WH-1 > FF > BOM > BOR > Empress Super Delay > amp.

4. Matts Tone

Matts Tone Member

Thanks for the input on both effects, I have to say I am leaning more towards a Fuzz factory than the BOR as I think I'm wanting more of a distortion/breakup style effect & think with the Keeler Pull I have that low to mid overdrive tone covered!!

As I don't want a large amount of effects abit like Canadian Steve who has the right idea with just 4 which sounds perfect to me!!

Canadian Steve: How does the Fuzz Factory sound going into a Box Of Rock?
    Have you had any extra noise issues (apart from the tone coming from the Fuzz Factory) going into your tweed amp?

5. Canadian Steve

Canadian Steve Member

Yeah I've toned down the amount of effect pedals, although I think I'm going to *need*: wah, vibe, chorus, tuner, etc.:eek:

The sound of the FF going into the BOR is great providing you don't mind a lot of gain. I was looking for a similar Hendrix vibe of fuzz into craked Marshall (FF into BOR) and it works good with octavia-like settings on the FF going into the BOR as well. I haven't had any extra noise issues at all.

If you're into metal/hard rock tones you should check out the Box of Metal. It's probably my favourite of the 3, as I love how much gain it provides and how it makes my little 5 watt amp with 8" speaker sound soo BIG!!!

I've only started getting into ZVex pedals less than a year ago, after selling off all my Keeley modded pedals. The main difference with ZVex pedals was how much more amp-like they sound.

Where in the UK are you? Hope this helps!

6. m@2

m@2 Member

+ 1 my experience was the same. Of course tone is extremely subjective, but the Zvex pedals just do not work well for my needs and set-up. I tried both the BOR and the FuzzFactory btw. (I play mostly blackface.brownface Fenders, so can't give tweed specific feedback to you)

7. Matts Tone

Matts Tone Member

I'm now leaning more towards the BOR I guess that's why I'm in no rush to purchase one of the ZVex's as I can't seem to make up my mind which I would prefer!!!

Canadian Steve: I've heard the ZVex Box Of Metal but I don't think that's to my taste. As to where abouts in the UK I live, I live in the northern part of England called: Leeds in West Yorkshire.

Another pedal that also has been recommended to me is a Ulbrick 12AXE which I believe is another mid gain overdrive pedal. From all accounts works well with tweed amps!! That could be a good alternative to the ZVex pedals.

8. Canadian Steve

Canadian Steve Member

You should also consider a Barber LTD. It may be my next drive pedal purchase! I'm just over the water in Belfast!

9. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

My BOR is awesome with my Victorias... Victorilux 3 x 10 tweed and 20112 (Deluxe clone).

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  10. Matts Tone

Matts Tone Member

Cool I'm glad the BOR works with the 20112 as when I played it with a Vicky Bassman it didn't sound all that good at all, I mean with the Lonestar Classic it sounded as part of the amp where as with the Bassman to me at least the BOR just sounded like any other effect nothing special at all!!!

Can I ask what guitar do you use with the Victorias? I use a Gibson VOS 56 P90 pickups.

I think at the moment it would be between the BOR or the Ulbrick 12AXE which I've been informed is more of a smoother OD.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  11. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

I'm using tele's for the most part. Humbuckers would be too much for BOR --> 20112 but P90's should be sweet. Just a side note. I don't do a lot of stacking in general but especially not with this amp. There's not a lot of headroom and to me it's not necessary. I'm using the vol knob on my guitar quite a bit.

12. Matts Tone

Matts Tone Member

I hear you on not stacking OD's as my tweed deluxe style amp doesn't really need that many pedals at all as previously mentioned I currently am only using 1 OD & 1 delay & that's it!! I have a few other effects up for sale BUT have seriously cut back from around 12 effects to now 2 with maybe the BOR or Ulbrick 12AXE making it 3!!

13. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

A lot depends on what tones you're shooting for and how much gain is needed to get you there. You should already be pushing your amp pretty hard with that P90 loaded Gibson.

For reference, I play mainly alt.country, blues and blues rock, and have a bunch of OD/fuzzes (including a BoR) that I combine with different amps. My faves with the tweed deluxe style amp I have are the Timmy, Sun Face and Java Boost.

I know that doesn't address your question about the ZVex units, just another perspective.

14. hangten

hangten Member

what kind of music do you play/tones do you seek?
    knowing that would be helpful.

I've used the BoR extensively with Fender Super Reverb RI, DRRI, and Marshall 1987x. It sounds great and is a suprisingly "deep" pedal for all its simplicity. I would get that on and a lovepedal BBB07 - 2 versatile pedals with totally different sounds. I own a fuzzfactory which I have a lot of fun with, but I consider the BBB07 to be a much more useable fuzz. my 2 cents

15. Matts Tone

Matts Tone Member

What kinda music do I play well it's pretty broad: I guess the norm for me would be Blues, Rock, Alt-country, Americana etc. I like bands from Wilco, Tom Waits, Springsteen, & have recently been listerning to John Mayers live album, Bright Eyes & Coner Oberst new solo album which are all great!!

As to what tone I'm seeking from a new pedal just maybe a more distorted tone than my keeler Pull which is just a fabulous light to mid gain OD.
    That's why at first I thought about the Fuzz factory BUT are now thinking the BOR probably would be a better option with abit of grittiness without being OTT . I'll also have to look at Sunface & Lovepedal Blackbeauty as some of you guys have mentioned.

16. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

The FF is insane.... I never found one useable. The Sunface is awesome too but I've had to tweak my pedal order to get one to work right. I think it sounds best after a buffered Boss pedal. That's counter intuitive to what Mike says to do but definately try it. I also turn the internal pot down a bit so I can use it more like an overdrive/distortion than as full out Fuzz. Mike will also spec them high, med and low gain. I preferred the med and low gain options! Good luck.

17. Matts Tone

Matts Tone Member

After thinking about it I'm actually thinking about getting 2 pedals:
    Analogman Beano Boost - For abit of crunch
    Lovepedal Eternity - For some sweet smooth sustain

Would they fit in with a tweed deluxe style amp?