Would an impedance swamped attenuator work with a 2 ohm load?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dewey Cox, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Dewey Cox

Dewey Cox Member

Would an impedance swamped attenuator work with a 2 ohm load? For instance, a Weber Mass Lite attenuator with a Super Reverb. The description says that it works with 4, 8, and 16 ohm impedances. I know that a 4 ohm attenuator will work with a Super Reverb, so will this? Thanks!

2. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

I don't think you'd want to try that. Why would you think an attenuator rated for 4, 8 or 16 will work on a 2 ohm load?

3. Dewey Cox

Dewey Cox Member

Because a 4 ohm attenuator is fine with a 2 ohm load, so I was curious if the same was true for an impedance swamped attenuator which can operate at 4 ohms.

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    What makes you think a 4 ohm attenuator is "fine" with a 2 ohm load and what is "an impedance swamped attenuator"?

5. Dewey Cox

Dewey Cox Member

Weber says some of their attenuators are "impedance swamped" to match different impedances. And the reason I think a 4 ohm attenuator works with a 2 ohm load is because I emailed Weber to ask about using a Mini Mass on the 4 ohm setting with a Super Reverb, a 2 ohm load. The guy said it was absolutely fine for the amp and that he has tons of customers that use the Mini Mass with the Super Reverb.

6. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

I guess Ted coined a new term that never existed in engineering before this.

Regarding the mismatch, good luck. I'm reluctant to tempt fate in a situation that pushes the limits of an amp under the most ideal situation.Ever notice that when you call a company for customer service that you don't get the CEO or chief engineer on the phone? ;)

7. Bluzeboy

Bluzeboy Gold Supporting Member

Guess I'm confused.. If you "know" the answer and will disagree with people that do not believe this to be the case why did you post the question ?

8. Dewey Cox

Dewey Cox Member

Sorry, I didn't mean my post to sound that way. I just meant to say that it was true for a normal switchable attenuators that it would work with a 2 ohm load even if it was a 4 ohm attenuator. My question was if the same was true for one that matches 4, 8, or 16 ohm loads. Sorry :(

9. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

They'll all work, for a while. Or if your only requirement is that they attenuate regardless of whether the amp blows up or not, then they'll always work. ;)

10. doctorx

doctorx Member

How about Webers Impedance Matcher? That way everything will match up fine.

11. Dewey Cox

Dewey Cox Member

I emailed the guy at Weber and he said the Mass Lite should act as a matcher on it's own. Problem solved. I'll let guys know if anything crazy happens. :)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  12. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

Frankly, *I* wouldn't give a rat's rear end what Weber said will work. They're trying to sell you the gizmo. I'd be more interested in what Fender has to say about that set up on *their* amp. After all, they designed the amp, not Weber, and they're the one you're going to be calling when the amp quits on you. Did you speak with Fender? At a minimum, I'd ask an *independent* (and reputable) tech about that.

13. Dewey Cox

Dewey Cox Member

I know the thread is a little old but I just wanted to say that I decided to follow your advice and not do it... :)