Would anybody on here be interested in...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by benabloom, Sep 22, 2008.

1. benabloom

benabloom Member

Custom made pedal risers?

My bass player is a carpenter and built me a couple 1/2 inch risers to lift a few pedal on my board up a little bit so that they are more ergonomic to access. They are light, painted black , (made of wood) and the corners are rounded so that they are not noticeable and look really pro.

I spent about 3 weeks trying to fashion my own, or look for something to use that would be readily available to no avail. I suggested that he build em and sell em.

Would anyone be interested in having some custom made risers built for their set up? We were thinking $5 a pop for common sized pedals including wah wahs with possible discounts available for multiples. Custom sizes , heights etc are all doable. Its not brainscience or a new invention, just practical stuff for us players that was not easy for me to find.

would anyone buy these ?

I realize that this borders on being in the wrong section so Mods I appologoze if it should be in the Dealer area, but right now its just a concept.....move it if you need to.

Thanks,

Ben

2. Tinman

Tinman Member

Gee, I've been Custom Pedal Risers for years and I didn't even realize it. Good luck on the sales!

Please do not contact me regarding Custom Pedal Risers.

3. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Pedal Trading Guru Silver Supporting Member

I have lots of scrap wood, spray paint & velcro.
    Maybe I should go into business.... :huh

4. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

geez. you guys are a tough audience

5. charmboy

charmboy Member

Yeah, too many of the posters out here miss the point of bulletin boards as a place for gaining knowledge and just see them as a vehicle for snide commentary. I suppose I'm a hypocrit for pointing that out though :)

6. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I personally wouldn't have a use for them. Cool idea though.

7. m@2

m@2 Member

yah, i could use a riser on a couple of pedals that sort of get lost among the Tim sized ones

8. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

Guys, especially you cynical ones, pedal risers and the like can be a little more than they seem. I have a tiny toolshed where I experiment and make add ons for friends, instead of using wood for raisers I've started dooing this:
    [​IMG]
    The result is an optical raiser that looks cool as hell. It lights up when the pedal is turned on.

Other things you can incorporate into a humble frowned upon raiser are TB switches which mount at the front of what I call 'BOSS shoes', the BOSS style pedal is then mounted on the shoe and all the cabling to the next effect goes out of the back of the pedal to the next one, meaning you have an interchangeable TB shoe that will velcro anywhere on your board.
    In short pedal mounts and raisers can be used in very creative ways to resolve things like space issues and wiring.
    I have a utility drawer in one of my bigger raisers - I keep picks,slides and tools in it, well out of the way and cunningly hidden serving a life saving dual purpose at times.

Benabloom, see what you can come up with, most people laugh at my concoctions. But 99% of them call the next day and attempt to order them or want the schematics/blueprints.
    I have to refuse, I'm not a builder nor a carpenter, can't even cut metal. But the number of emails about my personal 'stupid' OTT pedalboard stuff over the past month for example could be enough to give me a second job should I ever quit music.

Good luck.

9. benabloom

benabloom Member

Thanks for the feedback guys,

Obviously, this type of thing is not out of the realm of any handy human being with a saw to create. Other more elaberate risers like that cool one with the lights are beyond the scope of this project. Purely functional , attractive and road worthy is the goal.

I (as Im sure others are) am/not handy with a saw, or have the tools, scrap wood/plastic/space/time to make something as simple as a riser. It was a big pain in the ass for me to find something that existed to use. It took my friend only a few min with the right tools and dimensions to turn my pedalboard experience from frustration to elation so I figured there were others out there who may be in the same boat.

Keep the feedback coming and let me know who might be interested. If we get say 10 interested people, I'll Pm you and we can go from there.

This board has been extremely helpful to me in almost every concievable way, and while this obviously is not gonna make anyone rich, it might make my buddy a few bucks and help out others like me:)

I'll post some pics tommorrow.

B

P.S. here is another idea from my Bass Player : "Pedalboard Hero" the video game. :rotflmao

10. Tinman

Tinman Member

I didn't think I was making a snide comment. Sorry if it came off that way. I honestly do make these things so that all of my pedals are level with each other.

11. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

I'd buy some...let me know the details...ie, do I just give the pedal types and we go from there, or do I need to measure each? etc.

12. richey88

richey88 Member

I would buy something for a Cool Cat Fuzz, Didgtech-sized OD and LPB-1 or other boost. My current slab has me tilting the OD askew (side jacks comong from the CC with top loaders...) PM me. I would luv to get 'em a bit higher off the floor!

13. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

Not to be a downer but I think it would be a hard business. Shipping on inexpensive but heavy objects is relatively expensive. I needed to raise my pedals a few months ago so I went to home depot and had them cut me some MDF. Took it home, painted and it was done. I didn't think to look online for pre-made risers. Bad news but hopefully it helps.

14. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

MDF is pointless with shipping costs. Good low cost cork blocks on the other hand are not only fun to work with but light as a feather.

15. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

Can we see some examples?

16. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

Cool idea. :AOK

Btw, have your buddy make 'em in maple & rosewood, so folks here can argue about the tone differences... :D

17. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

:eek::rotflmao:rotflmao