Would Blackstone work for someone who doesn't like overdrives?

timmerel

Have tried and sold on TIM, KOT, Zendrive etc - all seemed to make tone worse, not better to my ears. So either overdrive pedals are just not my bag, or I haven't found the right one. Mainly I don't like the fizziness and masking of the core tone, as what I am looking for is a sort of SRV/Hendrix type of dirty clean tone from a clean (EL84 based) amp + overdrive.

Have read and watched info about the Blackstone, it sounds like it might do what I'm looking for. Has anyone who also didn't like most drive pedals tried one and liked it?

Loki

If you are looking for a the tone of Hendrix or Vaughan you will have to mask your amps tone - Hendrix worked a lot with Fuzz and Vaughan put several Tubescreamers in his signal chain.

All these OD (except the KOT) you tried are NOT manufactured to push you into this direction. Try something like the good ol' Tubescreamer, a Fuzz Face (or a good clone) and play them LOUD. The key to their sound is pure Volume :)

robbinsteele

Silver Supporting Member
have tried or owned most of the overdrives including okko diablo and nobels odr-1/rockett pedals chicken soup-all my current faves,besides the blackstone-which i keep going back to..but the blackstone is a funny monkey with alot of tones,it does color your tone in a good way,but you definately have to play with it to get your two settings-but that's a good thing-two settings.i like it cuz it's a good lite od sound/tone

Triangle

Ive suggested it alot, but thats probably because I love it so much. My sparkledrive is great for that SRV tone. He used alot of amps at once, which is how he gets that overdriven but still so much definition tone because some amps were breaking up and some were still almost clean. The sparkledrive allows you to blend your clean signal back into the dirty signal so that you get that same feel.

sdd17

the Blackstone darkens the tone a bit on the yellow channel which is the on all the time channel for most
this works great for singles
I like using the pedal to grit up a clean amp
like all pedals the amp needs to be working to get the benefits from the box

the black is great for clean up with the vol pot if used 1st in chain

the pedal takes some getting used to

great pedal

timmerel

Wassn't crazy about TS into a clean amp - sounded fizzy and harsh to my ears with my rig.

Maybe I was using it wrong - didn't try turning the gain down and the volume up on it.

Will check out the Sparkledrive.

So the Blackstone isn't the right thing for what I'm seeking?

sdd17

you could try the boss keeley modded blues driver or the barber ltd sr both very much like guitar into amp
great pedals

mhuxtable

I love my Blackstone....it's the first OD I bought. I was looking for a natural amp like sounding OD...I hated the fizz and fake sound of OpAmp ODs....I just never could get along with TS pedals.

I pulled on of the components so I have 2 yellow channels. The "yellow" channel is barely broken up just slightly dirty...the "red" channel is more balls out rawk sounding.

I think you'll dig it....its got it's own sound, but it's a good one.

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
The Blackstone would fair well to the OP's question. The "Brown" channel is a good rhythm drive and the "Red" would be good for leads. The pedal is very dynamic in that it is very controllable thru the volume knob of the guitar. Once you have both channels dialed in to your taste, it's a set-it and forget-it type pedal.

sdd17

the Blackstone WILL CHANGE your core tone
the more gain you bring up the darker (fatter) the tone will become
this is in regard to channel 1
channel 2 has even more color

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
the Blackstone WILL CHANGE your core tone
the more gain you bring up the darker (fatter) the tone will become
this is in regard to channel 1
channel 2 has even more color
You can adjust the treble trimpot in side the Blackstone if you don't want it as dark.

I think the OP needs to try a keeley Katana boost. With the speed knob in it's your tone but more. Totally transparent. Will push your amp harder so any grit you hear is all amp. Pull the volume knob out and you get just a little sparkle and grind. This pedal is pure magic, a tone machine in the most natural way.

Trending Topics