Would I be nuts to trade my Z28 for a Route 66?

The Whiz

Member
Messages
5,914
Lately I've been craving warmer, fatter mids, less treble. The Route 66 would fit the bill me thinks. But damn I'd miss the Z28. My current (somewhat horrid) financial state deems me unable to own both amps.

But I think a tele-->ZVex Super Duper-->SIB Varidrive-->Route 66-->Hotplate-->2x12 w/ Alnico Blue Dogs could bring a lot of love to this world.
:eek:

:D
 

MightyGuru

Member
Messages
6,980
Originally posted by papa taco
Lately I've been craving warmer, fatter mids, less treble. The Route 66 would fit the bill me thinks. But damn I'd miss the Z28. My current (somewhat horrid) financial state deems me unable to own both amps.

But I think a tele-->ZVex Super Duper-->SIB Varidrive-->Route 66-->Hotplate-->2x12 w/ Alnico Blue Dogs could bring a lot of love to this world.
:eek:

:D
In my experience, my tele always bested any of my other guitars with the Z66. I also much preferred the 66 to the 28 with all my guitars. Bigger mids and huge fat tele tones. That rig should kill.
 

Madison

Member
Messages
7,240
Hey papa taco, I have a Z28 and an RxES and given the choice of only one...it'd be the RxES. As good as the Z28 is, it can't keep up with the "big one". Never tried a Rt 66, but have heard they are indeed dark amps...and a new amp always brings some new energy into the room. :D BTW, the alnico blue dogs are great!
 

The Whiz

Member
Messages
5,914
Originally posted by Madison
Hey papa taco, I have a Z28 and an RxES and given the choice of only one...it'd be the RxES. As good as the Z28 is, it can't keep up with the "big one". Never tried a Rt 66, but have heard they are indeed dark amps...and a new amp always brings some new energy into the room. :D BTW, the alnico blue dogs are great!
Yep, I love my alnico blue dogs. I think I want something darker and smokier than the Z28, but as easy to dial in with the 3 knobs. The Route 66 sounds like the one for me.

taco
 

big mike

Gold Supporting Member
Messages
12,251
Originally posted by papa taco
Yep, I love my alnico blue dogs. I think I want something darker and smokier than the Z28, but as easy to dial in with the 3 knobs. The Route 66 sounds like the one for me.

taco
Go for it. The WORST that could happen, is you swap the 66 back for a Z28 at somepoint.
 

rockster12

Member
Messages
654
If I were you I would consider the Delta 88. I did a show with Michael Burks last week and he was using 2 and his tone rocked.
Made me consider. If I wasn't so amp rich and cash poor right now I would look into buying one.
 

Laroosco!

Member
Messages
2,604
I've owned both and they aare both AMAZING!!! but....

The 66 is THE amp IMO. It can seem dark but with the right speaker(in my case Emi Red Fangs) can give it the perfect balance.

There is nothing like a Tele briddge pup through a Route 66 IMO
 

The Whiz

Member
Messages
5,914
Originally posted by big mike
Go for it. The WORST that could happen, is you swap the 66 back for a Z28 at somepoint.
I'm glad I have the god of Z28's blessing.
:eek:

Haha, I could definitely see myself getting a Z28 1x12 down the road. A Fender Deluxe eater.

;)
 

The Whiz

Member
Messages
5,914
Originally posted by rockster12
If I were you I would consider the Delta 88. I did a show with Michael Burks last week and he was using 2 and his tone rocked.
Made me consider. If I wasn't so amp rich and cash poor right now I would look into buying one.
Woah, I don't need that kind of power.
;)
 

redgold

Supporting Member
Messages
5,840
Originally posted by Laroosco!
I've owwned both and they aare both AMAZING!!! but....

The 66 is THE amp IMO. It can seem dark but with the right speaker(in my case Emi Red Fangs) can give it the perfect balance.

There is nothing like a Tele briddge pup through a Route 66 IMO
+1
 

big mike

Gold Supporting Member
Messages
12,251
Originally posted by papa taco
I'm glad I have the god of Z28's blessing.
:eek:

Haha, I could definitely see myself getting a Z28 1x12 down the road. A Fender Deluxe eater.

;)
You'll be back.:D

Seriously, gotta do what makes you happy. I have 3 different amps now. The Z28 is my go to and my favorite, but sometimes you gotta change it up. If you can't do it all at once, you do what makes you happy right now. That'll change again. Count on it!

Good luck my friend. Let me now how you get on with the 66. I've been having a bout of RxES gas myself, but the ol'lady would hack em off.:eek:
 

riffmeister

Member
Messages
16,593
Originally posted by papa taco
Yep, I love my alnico blue dogs. I think I want something darker and smokier than the Z28, but as easy to dial in with the 3 knobs. The Route 66 sounds like the one for me.

taco
Don't do it. Use the tone control on your guitar instead. There are ways to darken a bright amp, much harder to go the other way.
 

Laroosco!

Member
Messages
2,604
Originally posted by riffmeister
Don't do it. Use the tone control on your guitar instead. There are ways to darken a bright amp, much harder to go the other way.
Don't listen to this guy. :D

The 66 isn't as bright as the Z28 but it sounds great.

A gret way to aadd a bit of sparkle to the 66 is to put a Z Vex SHO at the end of the signal chain set for unity. The 66 sounds great on it's owwn to me though.
 

JES1680

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
1,868
I really liked my 66, but ended up likeing my Z28 better. Everyone is correct about the Tele thing and the 66. Of course ask me in a month and I might be lamenting the sale of my 66.

I'm currently mildly obsessed with the RxES as are alot of us. Must resist!!!
 

Madison

Member
Messages
7,240
Originally posted by big mike
. I've been having a bout of RxES gas myself, but the ol'lady would hack em off.:eek:
Originally posted by JES1680
I'm currently mildly obsessed with the RxES as are alot of us. Must resist!!!
RxES=VERY GOOD AMP...incredible, in fact! Keep it on your "radar screen" :D
 

Brion

Supporting Member
Messages
3,834
I just traded my RT66 for a Z28. I didn't need all the volume from the 66. They sound somewhat similar, the 28 being a bit brighter and not as loud. I've only played my Z28 1 time so far, but I am happy nonetheless. If you need more volume and a bigger bass/mids tone, go for it. 1 downfall is the KT66 tubes are much more expensive than the 6V6's.
 




Top