Would I Like a KOT?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by teleluvver, Feb 27, 2012.

1. teleluvver

teleluvver Supporting Member

Guys,

Is the Analogman KOT a tube screamer variant? I had an early Fulltone Fulldrive 2, and it was supposed to be the tube screamer killer. I thought that it sounded muffled and dark, so I sold it. Is the KOT in the same camp as the Tube Screamer/Fulldrive? I'm looking for a good overdrive to go through a Tele, then a Matchless and/or a Vox. The KOT has me curious. Thanks.

teleluvver

2. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I would never have thought a Blues Breaker was in the TS camp after owning the Morning Glory, but I suppose they are (the KOT is a Blues Breaker). A few Phish Heads use a KOT as a replacement for 2 TS9's.

I am a TS fan and people often suggest the FD, but it has more bass than a typical TS, which I don't think is ideal, I like that standard voicing. Maybe the added bass is why you found the FD to be muddy/muffled. I would not consider anything to be a TS killer, as a TS is killer the way it started in the 80's. Do you like a normal TS?

3. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

I love my KOT and it sounds great with a tele. The best sounds in the KOT are not really very distorted, more overdriven. I have a TS808 and it definately sounds more distorted than my KOT. The KOT has a sweeter sound with the gain lower.

4. leonardrock

leonardrock Supporting Member

Absolutely love my KoT. I also bailed on my FD-2. Personally, I don't find any comparison between these pedals.

The KoT needs the amp though to work its magic. Dial in a good tone and the KoT adds incredible color and depth....or not! Super flexible as a boost, dirty boost, light OD, DIST. Stacks with itself, stacks beautifully with other pedals.

Pull the trigger....plenty of used options in the Emporium if you don't want to wait for 2 years. Plus the pedal will hold its value, you could sell it for what you paid if you don't beat it up after testing it for a week or two.

5. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Supporting Member

Get it. Will work great with your rig. Offers a superb, clear OD with a boost (or two ODs, disyortions, etc.) that sounds great with any dirt pedal before or after. Very well built, small, exceptional. I actually didn't know if it was goIng to be my cup of tea. It turned out however to offer a Perfect base tone and boost and loves whatever else is on my board with it. The hype is accurate/deserved.

6. King Rat

King Rat Member

KOT is pretty bright imo

7. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

The biggest TONAL difference, imo, is that the FD2 offers more compression, and more low mids. Where the KOT is a bit more open, and has more going on in the high mids. I do think they are similar tonally, but then most ODs are unless you're talking something really different like a RAT-type or a Dumble-type. KOT & FD2 are two of the greatest ODs ever created.

caveat: my FD2 opinions apply to the PRE-mosfet version; I find the new mosfets versions too bright, they have lost their "fatness" and sound too much like everything else now. But the pre-mosfets were magic.

8. Boytbpc

Boytbpc Member

Compared to my Barbershop and Tim, the KOT is dark.

9. Voodoo Blues

Voodoo Blues Member

I think you should go for it. I'm a big fan of the TS808 and never understood peoples comments about it being muddy... until I tried the KoT. The KoT is very crisp and clear, no muddiness at all. The boost side is amazing and the overdrive while being very low gain provides just the right amount of crunch (I always used the TS with low gain anyways). There's a world of difference between the KoT & TS and in the end the King Of Tone lives up to it's name.

10. Mars Hall

Mars Hall Member

I recently put my name on the wait list. I plan on getting the dual input/output version to use with my stereo ES345. Not sure if they use this word but it's described as "transparent" which suites my playing style very well.

11. bluesking55

bluesking55 Supporting Member

:hide I think the Sparkle Drive is nicer sounding than the KOT.Love the clean blend knob at 12ish

12. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

King of Tone = Dual Bluesbreakers

FD2 = modd'e & tweaked SD-1

With a Vox and a Tele I would suggest the Crowther Hot Cake or if you have the coin and need more go with the Double Hot Cake.