would it be insane to buy a Fryette amp and try to play it at a basement volume level?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gishlullmoon, Apr 22, 2016.

1. gishlullmoon

gishlullmoon Member

would it be insane to buy a Fryette amp and try to play it at a basement volume level?

i've posted interest in fryette amps lately....after seeing bob savage demo numerous times i can't let go of my fascination with the deliverance amp.....

but since you can't go from clean to distorted with deliverance i think sig x is for me...

does sig x sound like deliverance?? whats the difference??

i have a Mes Mini rectifier and i've complained about the level of volume it has at basement levels but i'm actutally changing my tune and its alright. i know its 25 watt but some people say its louder than 25 watts..... the sigx can run at 60watts, is that too loud for basemnt and louder than the mini rectifier?? i'm assuming it still probably blows the volume on the mini rec away....

2. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

Don't ever trust a guy that's into Hotrod's and woodworking...

BTW, these guys wail..

3. j.s.tonehound

j.s.tonehound Member

Maybe a Fryette amp and a Fryette Power Station? It's one of the combinations I'm looking at.

71strat likes this.
  4. 71strat

71strat Member

I say YES !!

You should be able to get many many great sounds out of the Fryette amp, at lower volumes. I also agree a Power Station is 1 of the best pieces of gear available.

Also if 50 watts is enough, a person could get the PS, and an Effectrode Blackbird., and have a 1- 50 watt amp, with the BB Preamp.

You could also use the PS to tame your amps to usable levels.

If I liked the amps I have, and the only complaint is they are to loud, for me its a no brainer that I would get the PS.

And then you will potentially have another 1-50 watt amp from the PS, and with a BB preamp, you have another killer amp.

PS is 2 x 6L6 x 1 x 12ax7.

5. MantraSky

MantraSky Silver Supporting Member

Back in the day, it was a great amp: My VHT Pittbull Classic 100w (no attenuation needed) sounded awesome at low volume.
    [​IMG]

6. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

I can practice through my 100 watt Friedman JJ100 in the basement with the wife and kid sleeping on the second floor. If the master volume is good enough, it's no problem. Will you like the tone of an underpowered speaker? Well that's a whole different question.

7. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

the 50 watt Pittbull I have now sounds EXCELLENT at apartment volumes. Very impressive.
    My 60 watt Deliverance sounded decent at lower volumes, but not as nice as the pitt. It lost a lot of the "rawness" that I liked so much about it's sound. It didn't sound bad at all, just not great either.

And to the OP, the SigX and Deliverance are pretty different animals. Both are top notch amps though. Like I mentioned above the Deliverance is very raw and in your face. Big bold cleans as well. It's a fun amp to play and much more forgiving than most Fryette Amps.
    The sigX does a little bit of everything and does it quite well. It's hard to put a label on it's sound, but that was it's point. It's for guys who want to dial in the exact tone they want, so it takes a little work.
    The Deliverance has a handful of great tones, and if it's a tone you are after, it's pretty much plug and play

8. gishlullmoon

gishlullmoon Member

when i get the cash i plan to get the sig x..... but people say it won't sound good through v30s, i think in my last post about fryette thats what someone said, so it will take even longer to get the cab..:( but if when i get the sig x ill run it the the v30 mesa cab see if it sounds ok.... i bought the fryette shirt already.... couldn't resist. the sig x demos are kinda terrible on youtube i hope it is better in person....the only clip of fryette that like so far is from the bob savage guy.... iv've read people say they dial in %95 the same tone from sig x like the deliverance, not sure if thats true but i keep reading they are similar....someone described it has deliverence being more marshally less-is-more while the sig x is more mesaboogie all gain all you want type of thing.

9. blackba

blackba Member

No reason you can't run a big amp in the basement. People get hung up on wattage, but it's really just a number. It really depends on the type of player you are and the amp as to if it will work. If the amp gets its tone from the preamp, than these typically work fine at lower volumes. If you are a player that really wants power amp breakup, that is when you have to look at small amps or get an attenuator.

10. suhrimmetal

suhrimmetal Supporting Member

My pittbull 50cl sounds insanely good at apt levels!! Love it.....its just more of a good thing with volume up and pushing some air.

11. pedalitis

pedalitis Member

I had a Sig X . Amazing sounding amp . Loud as hell ...

12. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Member

Before I moved to Nasty I had a relatively sound-proof studio in my basement. I could turn up a 100W Plexi all the way without interference from the local constabulary.

So depends on what you mean by 'basement volume'.

13. Kelly

Kelly Member

Deliverance 60 is the same. Good at low volumes, great when opened up. A local guy has a 50CL for sale, it's very tempting.

14. jpage

jpage Member

Yup

15. gishlullmoon

gishlullmoon Member

i just meant a regular basement no studio proof going on... i still think sig x will work for me i want foot switchable cleans.... i don't want anything used..... i see the sig x on a website new...... the pittbulls new on the fryette site are too expensive for me..... i would probably buy the deliverance but since you cant go clean to distortion foot switchable i think i will save and get the sig x

i love gearpage i'd be so lost.....

16. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

FWIW my bigger iron amps sound better than my smaller amps at home.

Dave_C likes this.