Would it be silly to own a t-rex replica and memory lane?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nrvana8775, Feb 28, 2008.

1. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I have a replica and ar20dlxl right now, but I need tap tempo for the analog delay. The brown mode on the replica doesn't come anywhere near matching the great tone of the analogman, but I love it for my main delay tone. I am not sure that I could justify having $700+ in just delay pedals though...

Why don't more companies have an analog voice with tap tempo?

2. thisfire

thisfire Supporting Member

Why not just dump the Replica for a Memory Lane? I've never tried a T-Rex out, but I can attest to the greatness of the Memory Lane :) Tap tempo is invaluable for me too... The repeats on the ML can get a little bit clicky (and sometimes out of control if you're not careful), but its a great, warm atmostpheric delay.

3. TZR

TZR Member

i don't know about silly but it would be expensive

4. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I enjoy the tonal characteristics of both, and they would be utilized for different sounds.

5. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

If you don't have to take food off your kids' table then go for it. Variety is the spice of life and rediculously expensive delays are very spicy.

6. hurleysurf

hurleysurf Member

got a t-rex and a maxon ad999 on my board. couldn't live without either.

7. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

A rational answer to your question here?
    Have you seen some of the pictures of the collections on this forum?
    Practically speaking it seems you have the bases covered right now.

8. bhelvick1

bhelvick1 Silver Supporting Member

I say no. I have the replica and a dmm and love it more than any other pedal combination Ive tried.

9. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I run a midi synced looper, so I need tap tempo. I wish I could buy a delay based only on tone, but I have to combine tone and function.

I might wait and see how much the ML1 drops to when the ML2 is released.

10. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

both feel really different. The T-Rex is a much warmer, brown sound delay to me. The Memory Lane is fantastic as well, much brighter and an oddly clicky oscillation. I'd pick the Memory Lane if I had to choose one but they are so different that YES, you could justify both! :D

11. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I'm interested in the ML because of it's degrading analog tone. I like the replica's normal mode and use it as my main delay, but the brown mode doesn't have the same mid-range degrading sound that my analogman delay does. I assume the ar20dl's tone is somewhat similar to that of the dm2, which seems to be the standard for analog delays.

I'm not sure that I am looking for a pedal that accurately replicates a tap delay, so the deepness of the modulation for the "warble" isn't something I'm concerned about. Like I said earlier, tone and function. I want to get the dotted 8th note mod, but I might end up using a midi clock to get 8th notes on the replica.

12. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

I had both for about three years. I really needed both, as I needed the Replica for triplet over half note delays and long delay swells. But I needed the Memory Lane for fatness-analog-modulation stuff. Just because they were both technically a 'delay' didn't mean they were the same effect. I'd go for both if you had the capital.

(And I say that I 'had both delays' because I just recently sold the Replica for the DC Timeline just because of its incredible midi functionality. But with a Memory Lane and the Timeline, I'm still using the same concept as a Memory Lane and a Replica.)

:)

13. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

The ML is great for the degrading analog tone you're talking about. Plus, the company is awesome. My chips in my ML are wearing out and getting distorted, and they said to just send it in and they will fix everything for free.

Sometimes the ML is too dark for some applications. For those times a good digital delay like the Replica might fit the bill.

14. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Availability of funds is always an issue, but I am buying gear now in anticipation of not having money once I move to Chicago in January. I think I've spent about $400 on new pedals (includes money made from selling older pedals) in the last two months. Not to mention the money I have spent on hardware/accessories for creating a laptop-based, midi synced looper. I will probably buy a ML in the next day or so, and sell my analogman. The analogman is a great pedal, but I NEEEEED tap tempo (even more than tap, midi synced).

BTW, the Timeline caught by eye. I'm not sure about re-arranging to board much more than I already have though. :NUTS

15. hbentley

hbentley Member

i've got those same two on my board right now.

16. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

+1

Me too!

I don't think it's dumb at all.

[​IMG]

17. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

I agree about the tap tempo...there are some great sounding, less expensive analog delays out there, but the tap tempo is soooo important. I rarely use untempo'd delay anymore, and when I do it's for the occasional ambient texture. (It doesn't hurt that the ML sounds really good, too!) :)

As far as the Timeline, it's a really awkwardly huge pedal; so huge that I didn't want to keep it at first. But, dang, it sounds good! I didn't think anything could kick the Replica off my board after 3 years running, but not only does the Timeline have presettable midi options galore, but IMHO it sounds really good, too! Again, my opinion, but it sounds way closer to the sound quality of the Replica as it leaves your dry signal completely alone, which is what made me decide on it over the Timefactor or the Nova.

18. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

Well the thing I like most about the ML is the important knobs are placed just so and just big enough that I can fiddle with them with my feet, leaving the other switch open for the modulation mode. I actually saw Al from moe. doing it at a show and that really led me to purchase the ML.

19. williamh

williamh Supporting Member

+1 on the timeline. If you have the space for it, it's worth it.