Would speaker upgrade improve my Blues jr?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by conanb, Jan 31, 2020.

1. conanb

conanb Member

I actually really like the sound of my Blues jnr but I was thinking of getting a Cannabis Rex or WGS ET65.
    Will I really improve it by changing speaker or should I only do that if I dont like the sound I'm already getting?

amstrtatnut likes this.
  2. conanb

conanb Member

Somebody must have done this and have some experience of whether it was worth doing or not?

3. eldorado2001

eldorado2001 Member

I put a CRex in my 2nd-gen Jr and it darkened the sound somewhat. There are some good tones in it but I think it sounds boxier with the CRex. The original Fender speaker sounds better IMO.

conanb likes this.
  4. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Upgrade the amp... you’re wasting money on a speaker upgrade. (From a former BJr fan)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    Mentat, Ranster44, QRSS and 4 others like this.
  5. conanb

conanb Member

Thanks for that.

6. conanb

conanb Member

But what else is this portable and this good for not much more money? I play bar gigs so the volume of the b jnr is perfect, I dont want to lug anything heavier around and I wouldn't risk anything fragile or too expensive. What could I upgrade to that ticks all those boxes? I wouldn't be against paying a couple of hundred more if there was something out there.

Handmade Music likes this.
  7. harvey j

harvey j Member

If you happy with the sound why change, crex will dampen the highs, I use a wgs et-65 and i think it is a very good balanced speaker.

conanb likes this.
  8. Funky54

Funky54 Member

I’d swap to some different tubes. Especially the preamp. Get an eq pedal. The blues jr is a great amp. Nothing wrong with it. Embrace what it can do or move on.

conanb likes this.
  9. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Deluxe Reverb Reissue... it’s really not that much heavier and only a few more $. Trust me, I used to praise the BJr until I played it side by side a superior amp. Good luck.

10. smellytele

smellytele Supporting Member

No need to change anything if you're digging it. Which is what I tell myself right before I start swapping speakers and tubes and etc LOL! I gave my Blues Jr to a pal many years ago after owning and using it for at least a decade. I had a Weber 12A150 in it because it was supposedly an upgrade to the stock speaker. I remember thinking it didn't really sound much different. What DID sound different and better was plugging it into a slightly larger speaker cab, but that totally negates the grab and go size that you dig about yours. People knock the BJ's, I sometimes do as well, but I played a whole lot of gigs with mine over the years that I had it and now my buddy has played a whole lot of gigs with it. It's needed several repairs over the years, but it's still going.

conanb likes this.
  11. eldorado2001

eldorado2001 Member

^^^ My experience was similar. I thought the Jr was ok and I liked it but the DRRI and the PRRI are both superior. The PRRI is now my go-to small amp. If I need a little more oomph I use the Deluxe. The Jr doesn’t get much use anymore.

Ranster44, QRSS, conanb and 1 other person like this.
  12. fiveightandten

fiveightandten Member

Define “improve”.

A different speaker speaker will change the sound, but only you can decide if that change is positive. Is playing a Les Paul an improvement over a Tele? Is a Strat an improvement over an SG? In the same way that guitars sound different and are a matter of personal preference, speakers are analogous on the other end of the amp.

They’re relatively cheap. Buy used speakers, compare a few and sell the ones you don’t prefer. You can gain a lot of knowledge about what you like for very little money, if any loss at all.

conanb likes this.
  13. dividedsky

dividedsky Supporting Member

I like the Blues Jr III with the stock speaker a lot. Which model do you have?

Oh and for everyone saying to compare them to a blackface fender, I have. I also like Princeton Reverbs a lot. They are different amps and have different strengths. A PR or DR isn't a better sounding Blues Jr. It's a different sound.

klapaucjusz1 and conanb like this.
  14. Rick330man

Rick330man Member

The best sounding speaker I ever heard in one of these was hands down a Reverend Alltone 1250. It sounded a lot like the original Fender/Eminence-125-based stock speaker, but just a tad enough darker to be near perfect. Wonder cleans delivered detail and note definition galore.

They stopped making those speakers years ago, but then I saw a web site claiming to have brought them back into production.

15. conanb

conanb Member

I can actually pick up an et-65 locally for a good price. Would it be worth it? What did you find improved with the WGS speaker?

70 Mach 1 likes this.
  16. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

I do think you could save an amp by upgrading the speaker. But if you're fine about the amp it's mire a matter of a tweak.

conanb likes this.
  17. Blue-moon

Blue-moon Supporting Member

I agree. BJr are decent amps. But you will end up spending a ton of cash to “improve” it. Just save for a a new amp

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    FenderBigot likes this.
  18. GeeDub

GeeDub Member

This is apples to oranges comparing the Blues Jr to a Princeton or DRRI (EL84 vs 6v6 power tubes). So no, it won't sound anywhere near those recommendations, and it costs considerably less. However, if you, like countless other Blues Jr owners (myself included), are satisfied, then by all means, feel free to experiment with tube and speaker swapping. I installed the Cannabis Rex in the lacquered tweed version and it made a world of difference by removing the ice pick highs that the Jensen C12N produced.

I did not see where you mentioned which version you have. If it has the Fender branded Eminence speaker, which is the one you are satisfied with, why change? On the other hand, if you want to experiment, go ahead and try the WGS ET-65. It is a great speaker. I have one paired with a WGS Retro 30 in a 2x12 cab that I use with a Marshall OR20H, Vox NT15HG2 Night Train and a VHT Special 6 head. You may really prefer it over the stock speaker, but won't know until you try. Of course, this is just my opinion and others may vary.

Good luck & enjoy your Blues Jr.

conanb likes this.
  19. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

As suggested, try an EQ pedal and see if you can dial in a sound you like.

-bEn r.

Al Rose likes this.
  20. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

Came here to say EQ pedal. It will do more than any speaker swap..

I basically won't play my BJr without one anymore. I use either an EQD Tone Job or Xotic RC2 booster, both transform the BJr into a much better sounding amp IMO.

ChampReverb likes this.