Would Straplocks Devalue my R9?

GAD

Wubbalubbadubdub
Silver Supporting Member
In order to install Straplocks (Dunlop) on my R9, I need to drill. Not much, but if I don't drill, i risk splitting the wood, which is not an option for obvious reasons.

This guitar already has WCR pickups in it, and I don't have the originals, so would Straplocks be that big of a deal?

I'm leaning towards not caring either way since dropping it would affect the value a lot more than straplocks would...

GAD

John Hurtt

Silver Supporting Member
In order to install Straplocks (Dunlop) on my R9, I need to drill. Not much, but if I don't drill, i risk splitting the wood, which is not an option for obvious reasons.

This guitar already has WCR pickups in it, and I don't have the originals, so would Straplocks be that big of a deal?

I'm leaning towards not caring either way since dropping it would affect the value a lot more than straplocks would...

GAD
Can you modify the straplocks so you wont have to drill out the body? I wouldn't think that straplocks would devalue it, it will never be massively collectible IMO.

russ

Supporting Member
No, straplox won't devalue your R9.
Dropping it with your old strap buttons will!

GAD

Wubbalubbadubdub
Silver Supporting Member
Can you modify the straplocks so you wont have to drill out the body? I wouldn't think that straplocks would devalue it, it will never be massively collectible IMO.
I did just that on my Guild X-170, but the screws from the R9 just won't work with the straplocks. Hmm... but I bet the original pegs would work with the new screws...

GAD

FlyingVBlues

Gold Supporting Member

noisemaker

buy this

put the strap on... this over and turn and its locked.. no drilling and you can have any strap you want :rolleyes:

rickboot

Supporting Member
You don't have to use the Dunlop screws. I bought some #6 1" and #8 1 1/4" oval head screws and used them since they were the same thread size as my stock LP screws (note that the screws for the front and rear of the LP are different). The screw heads were too big for the straplock pins so I clamped them into my power drill and ran the drill while filing them. Worked like a charm.

empty71

Definitely swap out the Gibson strap buttons for the Dunlop straplocks. The Gibson strap buttons have such a small flange the one risk dropping the guitar. Those plastic thingamajiggy are known to fail. I used them on my Gibson Les Paul Classic Plus years ago and they failed to do their job. Stick with Dunlop straplocks!!!

GAD, use the standard old rubber washers. Simplest and safest.

I've got a few spares, I'll mail you a set if you need them. They work better, and you don't have to screw with the strap buttons.

Redfish

You can use the original screws if you dremel the edge of the screw head down a little until it fits into the straplock. The screw will go a little deeper into the body so use a small drill bit and drill the hole in the guitar deeper not bigger. No one will know the hole is deeper if you sell it and put the original strap pegs back on. I suppose a picky buyer might notice the screw head but I've sold several Historics and never had a complaint.

You don't have to use the Dunlop screws. I bought some #6 1" and #8 1 1/4" oval head screws and used them since they were the same thread size as my stock LP screws (note that the screws for the front and rear of the LP are different). The screw heads were too big for the straplock pins so I clamped them into my power drill and ran the drill while filing them. Worked like a charm.
That's a cool idea, Rick.

I love the Dunlop mechanism as a whole; the weakest link is the screw - I'd like to try a square drive or even a well fitted slot head, something where the driver won't cam out just at the wrong second and mar the fastener. I know when to stop tightening and I'm tired of Mr. Phillips nannying me.

Thanks, Rick!

Trending Topics