would the bogner 2x12 closed back cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cisspcism, Jun 13, 2008.

1. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

the one with vintage 30s be a good match for the Bogner shiva head? I know they would be fine for the lead tone but was concerned it would be bad for the Bogners clean tone. Or do you think it would be better of paired witha 1x12 avatar vintage openback with weber anico blue dog 75 watter.

I did a search but nothing was specific to my question. Thank you for your advice.

2. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

The Bogner 2x12 closed back cab sounds great with the Shiva head, clean and dirty.

3. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Yep, this is true. But are there better options, I say yes. Just depends on what you're after exactly.

4. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

I was just concerned cause I hear that the cleans are based off a fender super reverb. and you wouldnt want to have that amp be used with a closed back cab and vintage 30s.

5. Kyle Ashley

Kyle Ashley Supporting Member

I love all things Bogner. I have 2 XTCs, 4x12s, 1x12 cubes, and I had the large closed back 2x12. That's the only thing I've ever sold. I'm not a fan of V30s, so I've loaded all my cabs with EVM12Ls, and they all killed, except the 2x12. For some reason, it just didn't sound/feel right. There was a "hollow-ness" to it that didn't work for me. Some kind of freq cancellation was going on with those particular speakers in that box.

That said, I think you would be fine with one especially if you like the V30s.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  6. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

I like vintage 30s for lead but not nessecarly for clean

7. ScottR

ScottR Silver Supporting Member

Try the 1x12 Ported Shiva Cab with the CL80...sounds betterh IMO and its a hell of a lot lighter too

8. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

Well what do you guys thing of the avatar oversized Vintage cab openback witha 75 watt weber alnico blue dog? I already have it but being used with DR Z 28, but I plan on getting a matching cab for the Dr Z

9. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

Where did you hear that?
    When I bought a Shiva a few years ago I did a ton of research before purchase and never heard this.
    FWIW - I think the cleans sound more like a twin

10. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

I have an EL-34 Shiva NR head and the OS 2x12 cab with V30's. I also have both the open and closed back panels. The V30's are a GREAT match for this. I'm one of those guys who puts a V30 in most of the amps/cabs I've owned.

The Shiva does sound more Twin than Super to me. I also owned a '66 Twin Reverb for a long time and chose to play it with V30's in it. That was a wonderful combination.

To answer your question, yes, V30's are a GREAT choice for the Shiva :dude

Stormin!

11. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

Actually, some people have rumored based on their own analysis of the circuit that the Shiva is based on a Super Reverb clean and a Late 70s Marshall JMP for the gain. Go figure? Could be right.

I am on the wagon for the V30s - people can tell you anything they want, but V30s DO work in almost ANY situation, esp with an amp of this caliber.

I've talked to a few amp makers who love V30s. Notice how many people use them OEM. I know the first inclination is to argue that they use V30s because they are cheap blah blah, but that is simply NOT true. Esp with the Shiva. A lot of the guys at Bogner love the V30s, and love them with the Shiva.

The closed back cab will sound warm and full - you CANNOT go wrong. I will add, the Shiva sized cab cuts a little more, and is a little sweeter. I have the Shiva sized 2x12 combo shell with V30s, and I often prefer it to my OS2x12 V30 or my OS2x12 Greenback cab. V30/G12H30 is a nice mix on this amp also to get some sweet and "organic" cleans.

12. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

Cool, I already have a avatar 2x12 closed back with vintage 30s also, so I will use this with the Shiva.