Would the Duncan '59 bridge pup be described as warm?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SoCalSteve, Feb 11, 2008.

1. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

After having some time now with my LP Studio, I'm not liking the 498t as much as I thought I did initially. I'd like something warmer and more vintage (less hot) - preferably with an Alnico 5 magnet.

Would the '59 do the trick?

2. SimonR

SimonR Member

There are certainly warmer pickups than the 59 but I think the 59 will deliver what you are looking for - certainly wamer and more vintage than the 498T. It's quite "PAF-ish" sounding, with good warmth and a lovely sparkle in the highs. I much prefer the 59 to the JB - which is warmer, fatter and louder.

3. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

Yeah. I've got a JB in my Charvel and it works great in that alder body/rosewood/vintage trem configuration.

4. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Yeah the 59 works great in the Les Paul. for more warmth I like the Alnico 2 pro.

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

"warm" is one of those buzzwords that means different things to different people. the 59 is a good, balanced (lows, mids and highs) medium output pickup. you hear plenty of the character of the guitar through it, so it might be chunky in a les paul and twangy in a` strat.

6. ahardmark

ahardmark Member

the '59 is not a hot pickup, more medium output. it's a nice vintage sound, but i would not describe it as "warm." frankly, it's a bit bright for my taste at times in my hamer (i favor warmer tones). it obviously depends on the guitar. it sounds good in my hamer, but i've definitely heard warmer vintage-style bridge humbucker tones from other pickups. examples: duncan antiquity in a klein with a solid rosewood neck, and the lollar in the collings I-35. in those, it's a combination of the guitar itself and the pickup contributing to the warmer tone, as they're a bit different than a les paul. the duncan seth lover is supposed to be a bit warmer sounding than the '59, and is a vintage style humbucker, so you may want to check that out. (although keep in mind that it is not wax potted, if that matters to you.)

7. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I don't hear mine as warm at all in the bridge, to the contrary, it's bright (though not piercing as some bridge HBs can be).

8. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

Hmm. According to the Duncan site the '59 is recommended for "balnced and warm instruments". My LP sounds bright when strummed unplugged compared to my alder Charvel. (Maybe due to the maple top and the weight relieved/hollowed out areas).

I think I'll consider the Alnico II or the hotter Custom Custom, both for brighter toned instruments. The site describes these two as having a spongier bottom end so I'll have to consider that as well.

Thanks.

9. rickc007

rickc007 Gold Supporting Member

I have one in the neck of a Heavy Relic tele below

I would have described it as warm and smooth
    huge contrast to the bright and bitey nocaster bridge

I have the setup below tuned to G for Stones stuff
    it does "not" do a great Honky Tonk Woman

the neck alone actually sounds like a warm smooth Les Paul
    it's quite good with distortion

[​IMG]

10. Mudder

Mudder Member

I would agree with the '59 being a bit bright, great for jangly classic rock. It is pretty well balanced otherwise, and it offers nice clarity as well.

I don't care for the JB because I think it's bright and a bit piercing, the '59 isn't like that. It's great for the neck for sure, but I would look for something a little darker in the bridge.