1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Would this be a great pedal board for me? (Trey, Ford, Henderson, Landau)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jamminoutloud1, May 23, 2011.

1. jamminoutloud1

jamminoutloud1 Supporting Member

So after hours of research, I feel like this could be the best overdrive/distortion tones for me. What do you guys think? This is in no particular order.
    Tim, Alpha Drive, TS9, DD-20 delay, tuner.

Just an assumption, but I would be using the tim for rhythm, stacking the tim with the ts9 for leads...
    using the alpha drive for those dumble, fusion type tones, and perhaps stacking it with the tim or ts9 for more?
    The ts9 would be for lead, or for rhythm as well.

I play a lot of funk, soul, rock, blues and fusion music, so I need to have these tones nailed.

I have been using an OCD into a ts9, and it can sound cool for what it is, but I think it can be a bit harsh at times through certain amps and a little too much. I live in NYC, so my amp situation can change from night to night at different clubs.
    Keep in mind that I'll also be using a telecaster, so I need something to tame the narly biting bridge tone and something to help my muddy type neck cut through the mix better.
    Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks!

2. jamminoutloud1

3. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I think you will be happy with that, per your other thread, those are ones that I would suggest for the most part.

In the future you may want: a compressor, modulation, fuzz. I haven't had a tuner in close to a decade, lol, so I would say nix the tuner and get a compressor, but that is probably not good advice.

4. jamminoutloud1

I guess I'm wondering if the Tim will be too close to the alpha drive. Thoughts?

5. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Sorry if I am the only one responding - hopefully still helpful to you. I just bought a Tim on the emporium Saturday and I am thinking about buying an Alpha when I am certain a few other pieces of gear sell that I have. So you can probably guess my answer: no, not too similar.

Some people will say you can get some D-Style-Like tones out of the Tim, maybe rolling off some high end and aiming to get a smooth OD. Other people, maybe D-Style connoisseurs, will say that is not close. The Tim is know for its transparent, open, low gain while the alpha is known for its smooth, warm, creamy harmonic leads (in fact, some of the clips sounded like chords with too many notes might not work as well without backing off the distortion). I would prefer to have both for what they are known for rather than trying to match the other one and possibly needing to adjust my pedal during a gig or jam.

If you don't mind adjusting your Tim, you might be fine with one of the two, you could always pick up the other later (or get both and sell if you don't like as these pedals won't depreciate in value). I suspect that you might eventually prefer using the Tim for lower gain rhythm and the alpha or TS for leads.

Check out some clips though, you can find a few that have higher gain lead tones for the Tim that are nice, warm and smooth.

6. MagnumSSS

MagnumSSS Member

FWIW, I play a similar style although don't know if our "playing style" is similar or not. I've tried nearly everything and currently have a Jetter GSR on my board. Great for thick Dumble-ish tones, although I found it's more than just that. The Keeley/Analogman TS9s are awesome when you get on stage and are wanting to pop out in a mix...but they kind of feel bland after a while. You miss 'em after you sell 'em though. I loved the SOV-1 and SOV-2 by Stampede/Providence. Also after that thick, Dumble-ish tone.

I play a Gibson and a Tele. The GSR sounds great with both of 'em.

7. Mr. Limbic

Mr. Limbic Member

whats your rig? you should look into just getting a tone monk seed of life and put your ts9 in front of it...the seed does the dumble, ts, distortion, and border fuzz well...i also only run my analogman ts9 a a boost with the drive all the way off and the level all the way up...its still a bit dirty but it adds a hint of gain, mids, and compression to anything after it without taking over the whole sound, and this combo can get you where your trying to be through a clean platform