Would you agree Billy Gibbons + Divided By 13 would be sensational ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rock Fella, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

I heard some clips of the /13 amps and my first thought was "hey those amps have got gibbons vibe stamped all over them "

no higher compliment can i give them, anybody else think the rev playin thru /13 would be just magnificent ?

jimmy

2. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

I thought he had some?

3. Swarty

Swarty Member

Shoot, Billy Gibbons would sound sesational playing out of Crate.;)

4. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

Funny you should say that seeing as Fred built the Rev an amp. Click here to go to the spot on /13's website where the pic is located. Granted it's not really a /13 amp, but close enough.

5. spikeRI

spikeRI Supporting Member

Hey Jimmy,
    See ya still got that Cornford......I'm proud of you, gotta be a record (like I got a lot of room to talk) but, I hear that amp smokes.
    To answer your question............the Rev can make a Gorilla Rock and I've heard hes bangin' on crates lately. So the answer is simple......hand him a guitar and stand back

6. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

yo Spike whadda bout ya man :dude

yup my cornford is a stayer, with the cornford 2x12 , she is mindblowing. nice to see you over here dude.the rev just has that je ne sais que , ive seen him play some of the most orrible looking gtrs ive ever witness and the tones he can wring out of em !!

billy thru the the el84 /13 is the sort of stuff i dream of.

jimmy

7. John Bell

John Bell Member

Ummmmm............NO.

8. carlygtr56

carlygtr56 Guest

It's the other way around....Gibbon's puts HIS stamp on whatever he uses:D

9. Mark C

Mark C Member

I don't see anything wrong with the tone he already got out of his old Superlead and Pearly Gates.

10. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

Actually, Billy uses a SS 1 12" marshall combo,
    and a huge rack. Also, a chain of Expandora pedals.
    Been using this rig for years.
    It was all covered in Tone Quest mag.
    One of my customers (Los Lobos) recorded
    a song with him last year, and confirmed
    the set up.
    Its amazing that he can get such a great tone
    from all the SS gear he uses!

11. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

As the member of this forum and many others that is "MOST OBSESSED" over Gibbons tone I think he'd be better off going back to a small Tweed and Pearly, or a Marshall and Pearly.

I like the modern tones a lot too, but I really would do almost anything to have his old tone for just one day.

To hear Billy play through a Vox AC30 type amp, I'd recommend you pick up the Moving Sidewalks album, where apparently the Good Reverend is playing a Fender Esquire through an AC30. Sounds pretty nice to me!

By the way, I talked to Fred about the /13 amp he made for Billy and he explained to me that it was just a 50 watt Marshall shoved into a 2x10 Tweed covered cabinet.

12. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

Man, it must be nice being the Rev., what with companies like /13 and Mojave making amps for him and all...:D

13. Headshot

Headshot Senior Member

You're partly right. Billy uses a rack that has 2 of each of the following: Marshall JMP preamp, Digitech 31 band programmable EQ, Boss FX processor (can't remember the model) and Marshall Valvestate poweramps. For his FOH sound, he has a Demeter 1x12 iso box. The stuff on stage is just whatever he want's people to see, it's NOT what he's running through.

I've got a great picture of this rig, that I'll have to dig out.

I've any of you have ever met Billy, you'd find out that he talks a lot of crap about the gear he uses. He'll tell you that he plays .008 strings, and tunes down to C. Yeah, right, try that one at home. He does that just to mess with people.

Bottom line, Billy can play through ANYTHING, and he will sound good. He's that caliber of player, along with Jimi, EJ, ect.

Head

14. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

He used it for a recording session, so thus it's his only go to amp? If you are referring to the same Tone Quest article as I, he discussed still using and even pictures a Valco amp, among others. I don't know of any recording musician who only uses one amp in the studio. It's worth mentioning that he runs through JMP1 12AX7 preamps, Real Tube pedal, etc.

I think his go to live rig is this rack, which I am sure he brought to the studio and used w/ Los Lobos, but the previous mentioned statement seems a little deceaving/misleading to the other go to options of Billy Gibbons.

15. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

He uses it live and in the studio.
    I'm not here to argue with anyone,
    its a fact.
    Yes, he owns a bunch of different
    amps, but that setup seems to be
    the "one".

16. Headshot

Headshot Senior Member

Well obviously Billy has TONS of gear, since everyone and their brother, gives him stuff. What he uses in the studio could be anything. One of his favorites though, is that Marshall that was fitted into the 2x10 combo.

I was just referring to Billy's live rig, and that's all.

Head

17. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

I don't recall arguing that he uses it live and in the studio? You quote a specific article/interview which has discussions with both him and his tech...you might want to refresh it. I know you're busy away in your tube amp shop for hours on end daily (atleast I hope you are) so seeing a SS amp in the signal can be a real big red light, but you mustn't forget the particular preamp chain he's going through before that specific amp. Loads of tube preamps.

I'm not sure how much experience you have in studios, but I really don't know any guitarist, especially those so particular about finding great tone, that has 'the one' for studio sessions.

18. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

Loads of preamp tubes?
    Try loads of transistors and IC's.
    He uses that rig for damn near everything.

19. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

Right, so dismissing the sets of marshall 12ax7 preamps and the tube pedal is fair in assessing his rig?