Would you allow a band to dictate the guitar you use.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JWhite, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Agramal

Agramal Member

Sure. But I also think metal bands are more open than you think to various instruments. At least with most of the bands I've been in and around, all that mattered was how things sounded.

2. UrbanHymns

UrbanHymns Supporting Member

If it was a well-paying gig, then yes. Especially if it fit the sound better. A 335 and Strat are world's apart. Personally, I would find it hard to nail an 80's pop sound with a 335.

But if this is some garage band that doesn't make money, then no.

3. AustinIsPresent

AustinIsPresent Member

If it's a guitar I own, sure. I let my band make the call on that stuff, frankly, most of the time. I love all my guitars, but sometimes it seems wiser to let my bandmates make the call when they're all on the same page, but I'm not.

4. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

I have no problem being told what guitar to play if it seems that important. I'm comfortable on any of my guitars.

5. Jim234

Jim234 Member

With you totally. However whether I choose to play an LP or Tele depends on the music and what the other guitarist is playing. But some one telling me what to play... no way dude.

6. bikeracr

bikeracr Supporting Member

No...but as a musician, you should choose a guitar that fits the genre, place in the mix, etc.

David Garner and dirk_benedict like this.
  7. VintagePlayerStrat

VintagePlayerStrat Supporting Member

8. guitarbilly74

guitarbilly74 Supporting Member

I wouldn't allow a band to "dictate" me anything but I am also not closed to opinions. If they could make a solid case that the strat would be a better fit for the sound the band is going for, I'd be open to try it out. But there has to be a good reason for it and a conversation about it, the "do it because we're telling you so" won't fly with me.

VaughnC likes this.
  9. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

Just as a funny anecdote...

I once had a fill-in gig for a metal band. They were very serious about their "dark" image [it was a giant joke to me - these guys were about as dark, mysterious and evil as a box of count chocula]. Well they really were concerned about "image" and really wanted me to use a "metal guitar". At the time the options were a Gibson White flying V or a red Gibson Les Paul. They chose the flying V because "it was the pointiest thing I had" [I'm not kidding you - that was their exact words], but at EVERY show complained it was white, and even kept asking me to paint it black [yeah let me run right out and krylon my Gibson for you]. I was the only guy who had the skills, the time, and was willing to take their dates for a month from what I could gather - other guys either weren't available for the whole month or weren't good enough [the stuff was fairly fast, and mildly technical, to be fair].

They spent the entire month trying to find someone else who "better fit their image" though, and on the last day/last gig I was given my last paycheck in cash with a receipt as I was packing up my gear and basically told to get lost - just shy of fired... I "wasn't trying to fit their image" [so basically I was "let go" because my guitar was white and arguably not quite as pointy as they would like - they must have thought I actually wanted to stay long term?]. I heard a recording of them a few months later... I don't think the replacement was as good as me, or as good as the guy I replaced.... but he sure fit their image.

:barf

Gevalt likes this.
  10. sleewell

sleewell Member

I recently joined a band and they wanted to play in drop A. i had never played seven string guitars before and didn't like how my guitars felt tuned that low. so it was a good excuse to buy 2 guitars lol.

11. josephpnorman

josephpnorman Member

My 50s rockabilly band once refused to let me play a white satin Suhr Modern at a gig. Looking back on it, it was the right call because everyone else had period-correct gear and I would have looked like a doofus. But at the time I was pissed because I had just gotten the Suhr and wanted to show off that bad boy.

McShred likes this.
  12. Brutus

Brutus Member

I think you’re limiting your potential by not opening yourself to other possibilities. Different guitars bring out different things, so I’d be pretty flexible unless I had real trouble making music with a particular style of guitar.

13. LqdSndDist

LqdSndDist Member

So the consensus seems to be “if the gig pays well enough, I’ll do it”.... fair enough and reasonable. I don’t like wearing a suit to my day job, but it pays well enough for me to be uncomfortable lol.

So why then does the same not hold true for stage volume ?

Guys were up in arms in that Nashville thread about how they won’t ever let a venue tell them to turn down, and how they are going to do whatever it takes to get their tone etc, but if it’s a good gig shouldn’t they do want the mgmt request ?

If the pay is right I’d think one would also be okay with using a modeler and IEM’s instead of the precious tube amp on stage “for da feel”, and you’d play whatever guitar they said to use, you’d dress how they wanted etc, no?

14. City Kid

City Kid Member

I would do what I had to do for a paycheck if I needed that paycheck. However, does anyone honestly think paying customers really give a rats ass what guitars the band is playing? I get it that if I want a gig that requires a specific look or sound I need to do what's asked but I have a difficult time believing anyone other than the band members actually care.

Gevalt likes this.
  15. jrjones

jrjones Supporting Member

Depends. Does the band have a deal with a company where they get free guitars that are made however they want with the agreement that they exclusively play that company’s guitars? Because if someone else is willing to build a guitar identical to my Luke 3 and give it to me for free I don’t really care who’s name is on the headstock.

16. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

Depends on the gig* but I would just be thoughtful about it and show up with the right gear to begin with.

*If we're talking big-production show and a coordinated look is needed, would have no problem with it.

*If we're talking an original band, and the band leader/visionary had a specific idea in mind, I'd happily oblige.

*If a weekend covers gig...see top statement.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  17. derekd

derekd Member

Interesting question.

I've had MDs from different projects ask for a certain type of guitar before because they knew what sound they wanted. Since I cover pretty much all bases with my collection, I'm happy to comply.

If it was a band and they wanted another guitar because of looks, no.

Kinda like telling a painter which brushes to use or a photographer which camera to use.

lp_bruce likes this.
  18. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

Yeah, I don't think I've ever been asked to use a specific guitar (or amp or whatever). Of course, I'm generally aware of what guitar works best for a specific gig and if a band I'm in is looking for a specific "look", we talk about it.

I could definitely see where this might come up in a tribute band situation or if your band is going for a very specific look.

Thumpalumpacus, Bluzeboy and derekd like this.
  19. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Member

I once had a band I was in doing jazz standards tell me I had to buy a 335, because whatever I was using (don't recall) didn't give the right visual.

So I went to a swap meet, bought a pointy, neon orange Ibanez with a chunk missing from the body, and played that for a few months at the gigs.

..i..

20. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

It would depend on limits and priorities, and those are individually determined.