Would you allow (trust) UPS to pack and ship a guitar without a case??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dmczern, Feb 18, 2009.

1. dmczern

dmczern Member

My first instinct is NO. I am purchasing a guitar from a TGP'r that only has a gig bag. The appropriate case for this model is not available until March 30th (wtf). I'm fairly sure it is specialized for this model....not a common design. So......do I wait and wait and wait.....let them pack and ship it insured........shite!

Case is now available. Is it sufficient to mail in case, in box that came with case if the case itself is bubble wrapped ? Should bubble wrap be placed around the headstock in the case ? Am I obsessing ?? YES !

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  2. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

3. phantasm

phantasm Member

I had one shipped in a gig bag inside a cardboard box- it showed up just fine and still in tune.
    I'm thinking it's a miracle it showed up that way.

4. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

5. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

The gut reaction is no, but actually it is done all the time, especially for Fender style bolt-ons. Even higher end, Trussart used to ship in gig bags, as does Fano. I'd consider the value of the guitar, the type of guitar and headstock, the insurance, and the person packing before making a decision.

I've received several guitars shipped without hard cases, without incident or damage. I've also seen many guitars in hard cases, packed to the max, that were broken inside the case. Nothing's for certain....

6. dmczern

dmczern Member

Neck through style .. around $1500 in a gig bag.

7. serviviente7

serviviente7 Supporting Member

you are kidding right? right? I knew it!!!

8. Southern ILL

Southern ILL Member

Put guitar in gigbag.....make a card board case as tightly as it will go around the guitar and gigbag....put this inside another box and pad the butt end,the sides and the headstock end with newspaper as tighty to where the guitar won't move inside box......it'll get there fine.

9. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

If they pack it and insure it they've got no legs to stand on if they damage it. Bill Nash used to ship all of his guitars in just a gig bag. Theyv'e been shipped all over the country and have arrived just fine. The secret is lots of bubble wrap and lots of packing peanuts and an oversized box.

10. dmczern

dmczern Member

No I'm not......and not dumb either (I know you didn't imply that).
    This is the reality of the situation that is all.
    I like your suggestion Southern ILL, I'm not sure if the seller would be willing to go to all that trouble. I would thinks so, since it has no case and all and it is a fairly expensive geetar.

Thanks for your replies guys (and gals) !!!!

11. sinner

sinner Supporting Member

I've had a bolt-on T style shipped to me without case and without gig bag, the guitar was wrapped up like a mummy with bubble wrap in box with lots of peanuts. Arrived fine but be sure not to tape the bubble wrap to guitar, only itself--tape can damage the finish.
    Also my cheapie Danelectro bass was shipped in its packing box without a problem--inside another box and it was fine.
    Bottom line--do the wrapping yourself, do not trust someone else unless you have used that person before and know their work.

12. goodwill559

goodwill559 Member

I bought an uncased guitar from another Gear Page member.

He packed it better than if were in a case.

Relying on a UPS employee to perform that task with equal skill, I don't think so.

13. zenfreud

zenfreud Member

If you mean having a UPS Mail Boxes store do the packing, I wouldn't do it. I received a 75 pound tube power amp in a wheeled flight case that was packed in a thin layer of foam peanuts & encased in a flimsy carton. Naturally there was damage, the wheels went through the carton and the case was smashed too. I had to wait for my shipper to file a claim and then his local Mail Boxes store dragged their feet & evaded responsibility on it, a major p.i.t.a. In the end I got paid for the damage, but I must have made two dozen phone calls and waited three months to get it resolved.

14. blueshawk1

blueshawk1 Member

1. I wouldn't want to pay what they would charge to pack it for me
    2. I wouldn't trust their packing like I would my own - although as someone else said, they couldn't deny any insurance claim if it got damaged (although you still won't have the guitar, so that only matters to a point).

But then neither of those apply much. I thought the thread was going to be someone asking if they should go to UPS themselves, but it's about having someone else go to UPS with a guitar they're buying, so....

If you are that unsure of the seller's packing ability, guess it might be worth considering for the protection of not having a claim denied.

As for what the guitar comes in, i.e., hard case or gig bag: I have shipped a lot of guitars, with a hard case, a gigbag, and with nothing, and not lost one yet. But I pack with the thought in mind that the carriers are going to go out of their way to abuse my package.

I've also received guitars, with and without cases or gigbags, haven't had any problems yet, but there have been some, with and without hard cases that I wondered how I got lucky enough to have them arrive safe and sound - it really was nothing short of a miracle.

15. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

If it's in a decent gig bag and packed well, it should survive. I've had to ship plenty that way over the years and haven't had a problem.

16. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

I bought my SG Classic from MF and it showed up in a gig bag inside a box with no other padding :dunno

Plays liek a dream! :knitting

17. 5E3

5E3 Member

I've bought guitars from MF that were shipped double boxed. The manufacturer's box shaped like a case, inside of another box. This is not optimal (IMO) and after reading some of the shipping horror stories here at TGP, I personally would never do it.

My secondary concern to damage would be getting an insurance claim paid out by the carrier. They could easily say "insufficient or improper packaging" and that would be the end of that :(

18. MartinC

MartinC Member

There it is ...

If you can't get that, then the answer is no

19. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

That's exactly how I've done it in the past and it has arrived safely as well.

20. dmczern

dmczern Member

Thanks for the great replies/posts. You guys :RoCkIn !!!