Would you allow (trust) UPS to pack and ship a guitar without a case??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dmczern, Feb 18, 2009.

1. bynt

bynt Member

No. I would however perhaps trust the seller if they could pack it themself. Really I don't see myself being able to wait until the end of March at the earliest. I hope it all works out. Good luck!!!

2. Oakley

Oakley Supporting Member

I have known some sellers who only use "professional packing." I think the advantage to that is that the carrier will have a much harder time denying a claim if they packed it themselves. But it costs more than twice the shipping charge alone. And from the above posts, it seems that it could be less securely packed than if he packed it himself.

I myself take lots of pictures of the guitar just before packing and of the packing process. I email a selection of these to the buyer. This way, there is no question as to the adequacy of the packing or the condition of the guitar when it went into the box. I think most carriers require two inches of space between the case - or inner box - and the inside of the shipping carton. I show that in the pictures.

3. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

4. prometheus

prometheus Member

It really depends on the instrument, for a Gibson NO WAY but I've had great luck with Fenders being shipped in gig bags/cardboard boxes. Actually bought a mustang online last month and it arrived in a gig bag inside the original factory cardboard box with nary a scratch. Of course that didn't stop me from having a new hard case ready for it when it arrived.

5. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Believe it or not, Gibsons in a hard case can be riskier than no case if the body and neck are not supported properly inside the case. There have been countless examples of broken necks with no box damage when the entire weight of the body is only supported by the single neck brace in the case. Counter-intuitive, but true. The case is very good for puncture damage, no so much for flat falls impacts unless the internal support is there.

6. plain-boy

plain-boy Member

I received a guitar that was packed by UPS. They did a better job than 90% of the guitars and other things I have gotten via ebay or the gear page.

7. dmczern

dmczern Member

Ah.......some dissent :)

Thanks for the posts everyone.

8. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

of course! 2 words: bubble wrap...Im not sure why UPS has to box it up though that parts weird...You know you can get a case for about $50,

9. johnboho

johnboho Member

purchased one guitar without case ups it came 800 miles and it was broken had to send back a lot of issues there if you have a problem
    ups really throws these things around
    the problem is if someone puts the peanut packing in and dosent fill it up it will move around it has to be very secured then packed solid
    a double box would work for me

10. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

[​IMG]
    " are you on drugs? "

11. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

I've shipped and received lots of guitars in gig bags, no trouble. Most recently, I shipped a Les Paul bass (34" scale, angled headstock, pretty much a worst case scenario). The only broken guitars I ever got through the mail were in hard cases.

1st trick - as suggested many times already, wrap the bagged instrument completely in bubble wrap

2nd trick - obviously use a box big enough for clearance and padding on all sides, top and bottom. Uline sells good ones for a reasonable price. After padding the bottom (bubble wrap is best), center the bagged insturment in the box and fill with padding all around about halfway up, to where the bag gets narrow for the neck. I like foam peanuts for this because they fill in the lower nooks and crannies. I then make a quick and dirty divider using heavy scrap cardboard and a kitchen knife. Cut a rectangle a little bigger than the box cross-section, bend up the sides and edges to fit snugly into the box (you need to make cuts in the corner to do this easily) and cut out a hole in the center about the size of the neck part of the bag. Slide it down to where you stopped padding. This holds the instrument nicely centered in the box, and has the added side benefit of keeping the messy peanuts down below. Fill the upper half of the box with your favorite padding - I like bubble wrap and crumbled newspaper. The instrument is well supported, well padded, and packed cheaply.

/rick

12. Adwex

Adwex Member

If UPS packs it, and ships it, and it's insured, it's their liability if anything happens.

13. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

I just had this guitar shipped to me via UPS by our own hodad.

[​IMG]

He chose to have it packed and shipped by UPS. What he does is to take pictures of the guitar with the UPS person holding it. Then he has them pack it and ship it. How can they possibly deny a claim if they packed and shipped it and you have photographic evidence of the condition of the guitar prior to being packed/shipped by UPS?

Anyway the guitar arrived safe and sound and I have to say it was absolutley the finest packing job I have seen in having recieved dozens of guitars. It was in its case, wrapped in bubble wrap. They used some sort of stretchy tape to secure the bubble wrap that when you found the end unraveled easliy, yet held the bubble wrap securely to the case. Very nice. Then it was placed in a box with a massive amount of packing peanuts all the way around - I would guess at least 3" on all sides, probably more. The box itself arrived in very very good condition and showed minimul shippind damage, really none. My guess is that if they pack it, it might get flagged and they treat it with extra care. As I said it was without a doubt the finest packing job I have seen.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  14. ugacrow

ugacrow Member

Depends on the kind of guitar and quality of the gig bag as to whether I would even allow a guitar to be packed by the seller without a hardshell case.

I bought a Tele on eBay a coupla months ago that was packed in a pretty standard Fender gig bag. It was placed in a larger box and filled to the brim with bubble wrap. It arrived perfectly safe and in tune.

Could I have counted on a UPS employee to do that? I highly doubt it. Would I have gone this route with an ES-335 or a Country Gentleman? No way.

15. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

Look at my post above yours. A UPS employee did the absolute finiest packing job I have scene anywhere.

16. 8Painting

8Painting Member

Its true folks.

Pack the guitars right.

When I see a guitar at work, even if its a cheapie, I treat it nice. But I can't say that all of my other contemporaries are the same way I am when I'm loading the UPS trucks. So make sure you do it right.

17. albuht813

albuht813 Member

This sounds like your best bet. Beware. UPS gets rough with their packages.

18. yakyak

yakyak Member

I Have shipped guitars and received guitars in cases, gig bags , and bare guitar. Never a problem. I pack them well and use bubble wrap (but I don't mummify them) and crumpled newspaper and double boxed. I hate to get one encased in peanuts.
    Obviously more packing is better in all cases and I am not poking fun at anybody but I get a kick out of this type of post. Responses range from no way I would ship one without a case to using 100' of bubble wrap. I worked in music stores for years and never had a guitar arrive from a manufacturer like that! Their packing is always secure but minimal. A lot of the responders to the OP would be amazed.
    Bottom line is that I would trust most GP'ers to do it right. Actually I would PREFER the seller to pack it himself. Yes, it is true that it is covered insurance wise as long as the Pack N Ship does it. I have received guitars that were "professionally" packed by folks that obviously did not know what they were doing. I would much rather have the guitar than the insurance money. Just my .02 worth.

19. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

I'd allow the people in a UPS Store to pack it that way if the customer insisted, but I won't on my own, because they charge way too much for packing and supplies. I do it myself and no problems yet.

20. fatharmonix

fatharmonix Member

HELL NO!! i had an amp ordered (vc60 50 lbs) and they woke me up with a big CRASH on my porch. the guy just dolyed it up to the step and just tipped it. did i mention it was a tube amp?