Would you be concerned about this damage?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mikewashmo, Feb 21, 2012.

1. mikewashmo

mikewashmo Member

Looking at at 93 LP studio that has been "dropped". Would this damage concern you and what things should I look for concerning this type of damage?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

looks just cosmetic to me, but I guess you should make sure there was no headstock crack as well with a drop that bad.

3. xroads

xroads Member

concerned in terms of what?
    value of the guitar?
    mechanical stability?

I would check if the areas where you need mechanical stability have suffered damage or are loose:
    - neck/body joint
    - bridge
    - tuners/headstock
    Also, does the guitar stay in tune or needs setup after having been dropped? That would point to some structural damage

4. in_sherman

in_sherman Member

grab it firmly with both hands on the neck one near the headstock and one near the neck joint. then ram it into a wall 5-6 times if it breaks apart nah if it's good buy it

5. vibrasonic

vibrasonic Member

That would not concern me at all. Cracks, bad frets, those would. Just a little mojo
    there.

The price should reflect the condition. If it plays nice, sounds good, fair price, then go for it.

6. mikewashmo

mikewashmo Member

Not worried about cosmetics. Just not experienced with damage and wanting to see what I should check to make sure it is just cosmetic. I will definitely check the neck joint and look for any sign of cracking between the cap and body. Will make sure it sounds right and plays good and stays in tune. Anything else I should be looking for??
    thanks

7. SFW

SFW Member

Nope. Doesn't bother me at all.

8. halorealm7

halorealm7 Member

You better watch those early to mid 90's Studios. They have a tendency to be very good guitars. Cosmetics don't phase me one bit.

9. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

I would add the rear strap button to the list of things to check. Otherwise I wouldn't be overly concerned.

10. Gitarman

Gitarman Member

:aok

'93
    [​IMG]

11. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

Your checking the wrong end imho....

12. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

Check the headstock, the tuners, the nut and the neck and fretboard. Check the heel area. Look at it close from top to bottom.

13. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

:eek: ooh, yikes that looks kinda scary.:worried

I'd pass on it. That thing looks like it took a seriously hard fall. When a LP drops that hard I would strongly suspect more damage elsewhere on the guitar. Inspect the neck & headstock VERY closely. I would expect to find a cracked/broken/chipped headstock at the very least, even if it's miniscule.

14. Arewenotmen?

Arewenotmen? Member

Yeah, provided there's no neck crack, then buy that thing! The more dings, the cheaper the guitar should be, the easier it is to afford!
    Plus you don't have to worry about dinging it yourself as it has been dinged for you. It never fails -- I always manage to accidentally knock my guitars against something the first month of owning them. One time I literally hit one on the store's door as I left. I'd had the guitar less than two minutes!