• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

would you buy a used mesa cab or a new one? why

gishlullmoon

would you buy a used or new mesa boogie cab???

i bought a marshall cab for $300 off of guitar cneter.com and i think some of the speakers dont work..... so im kind of cautious as to buying a used boogie rectifier triple cab.

i see ones that are $700 -800 which would be my highest price range......or i can save my money for a new one for $1,000.

what would you do? i dont know much about guitars amps etc but i know my marshall cab (the only one i have) is not very good :rotflmao

Promit

Mesa cabs in fantastic condition are stupidly common. I can't fathom why you'd buy a new one. $500 is about the right price for a Mesa 4x12 in great cosmetic condition and perfect working condition.

Siggy14

Take an ohm meter with you and make sure it measures correct, if a speaker is blown the ohms will not be right, should read a just little under 8 Ohms or 8 Ohms, if it is to high or to low then something is not right. I always take off the handles and look inside to make sure the speakers were not swapped.

Used. It's a cab. They get beat up a little, regardless. Used is cheaper, hopefully someone broke the speakers in for you already, and you don't have to be the one to put the first scuff in the tolex.

Take an ohm meter with you and make sure it measures correct, if a speaker is blown the ohms will not be right, should read a just little under 8 Ohms or 8 Ohms, if it is to high or to low then something is not right. I always take off the handles and look inside to make sure the speakers were not swapped.
This.

rockon1

Platinum Supporting Member
Well sort of. It will read 6-7 ohms resistance with a meter if its 8 ohms. A meter can't read impedance only resistance. Also a speaker could have VC rub and still read correctly...soooo... The only way to know for sure is to play it. Bob

gishlullmoon

i feel better talking to you guys, i think ill go with one around 500-550

can't wait to finally hear my triple sound like an actual mesa instead of using my marshall cab!

:rotflmao

Heady Jam Fan

I agree that I'd go with a used one.

Mesa cabs are awesome, but pricey.

They are durable as all get-out, so, as mentioned, that are tons for sale in great condition.

Robbgnarly

i feel better talking to you guys, i think ill go with one around 500-550

can't wait to finally hear my triple sound like an actual mesa instead of using my marshall cab!

:rotflmao
A Marshall MF280 sound pretty close, but yeah you'll tell a big difference especially if it has G12T75's.

Be careful you don't get a Mesa Recto Cab loaded with Black Shadows, they are not super common, but they are out there.

sled

I suppose used Mesa cabs since I have four used Mesa cabs.

One 4x12 V30 loaded.

Three 2x12 purchased unloaded.

Right now the three 2x12 are:
Pair of M75
Pair of BM75
Not sure (Converted to front loaded)

I move speakers around often.

JacieFB

Definitely would, and have, purchased used Mesa cabs. I've purchased new ones, too. And got hosed on re-sale. I currently have a used 2x12 recto cab that I wired stereo to compliment my Road King 2x12 stereo cab. I'm in scale-able rig heaven.

BTW, perhaps THE best Triple Rectifier tone I've ever heard was delivered through a Marshall 100watt vintage reissue checker grill cloth cab. FWIW.

jcopello

used is the only way to go for cabs, especially Mesa since they are so popular. usually fractions of the retail price and most of the time in good shape. There's a 4x12 recto fs locally for $300. Just test it to make sure all the speakers are good and you're good to go.

gishlullmoon

Definitely would, and have, purchased used Mesa cabs. I've purchased new ones, too. And got hosed on re-sale. I currently have a used 2x12 recto cab that I wired stereo to compliment my Road King 2x12 stereo cab. I'm in scale-able rig heaven.

BTW, perhaps THE best Triple Rectifier tone I've ever heard was delivered through a Marshall 100watt vintage reissue checker grill cloth cab. FWIW.

do you think it had v30s in it or g1275, my jcm 800 has g1275s:huh

Longer

Silver Supporting Member
I got a new 2x12 Recto when GC was blowing Mesa out.
But my next will be used, cause I want an old metal grill half back in a bad bad way.

ungarn

Mesa cabs are typically always on craigslist, as nobody wants to ship 'em.
Can't recommend them enough...have had 1x12 3/4 back, horizontal 2x12, and now recto 4x12.
As long as you can live with scratches and dings you'll get a cab for 1/2 new price and broken in speakers.
What is not to like?

JacieFB

do you think it had v30s in it or g1275, my jcm 800 has g1275s:huh
I believe it had 25 watt greenbacks in it. It's been a while. I know it would have been whatever was stock in mid-2004.

This was the guitarist in my band at the time. (I was playing bass.) funny you should mention the jcm800 cab. I have the same cab in my guitar rig. Dual recto guitarist actually borrowed my 800 cab to be able to expand a little for larger venues. It was on my side of the stage, and I always liked the tone. Not as well as his cab, but the 800 did the trick, too.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom