• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Would you buy an SG or a Firebird?

COYS

just go play them both. I love my SG i really don't even play my other guitars but you might hate it. I don't like FB, they feel weird but johnny winter loved it
Sadly, Firebirds to touch and feel locally are rarer than hens' teeth.

cosmic_rust

Silver Supporting Member
They're both fantastic and the two easiest guitars I own to play lead on with their tremendous fret access and sleek feel. Both are awesome, but if i had to pick one, it'd be the SG, even though I think i dig my Firebird more. The reason? Staying in tune. For me, a Firebird needs banjo tuners, and their kind of a notorious beast. I've had to fight every Bird I've played to stay in tune, and if it's an outdoor gig with witchy weather... yikes. When it's stable and happy, it shreds. But the SG is more tonally versatile (though Bird pickups are a distinct and raucous grind in their own right), but also reliable and always on point. YMMV. Still, two great axes!

TheCount0212

Assume you are tall and lean and in good health, so the size and weight of the guitars are not an issue.

Which one is it for you?
I owned a '73 SG about 20 years ago. Loved the sound, but the neck was so narrow at the nut that it was nearly impossible to play. (High E string would fall off the fretboard when bent, neck dive problems, etc.) Traded it for two new 2010 LP Jrs. and some cash back to me.

I currently have two Epiphone Firebird I's, the Bonamossa signature models. Absolutely wonderful feeling, fat D neck, no dive issues. Upgrades to the bridge and the pickup are all that's "required." I know some diss the banjo tuners, but I love them. They stay in tune remarkably well.. wouldn't dream of changing them.

Plus, like Les Paul himself.. never been a fan of the "devil horns."

I vote Firebird.

Karl Beach

I'm a push-over for the "ugly children" of major guitar brands...not that either the FB or SG are bad to look at, just overshadowed by the LP and ES335. If Gibson or Epi were to make a 3/4 (or even 7/8) Firebird, I'd buy it because it was a really innovative Gibson, what with the through-body neck and all (the mini humbuckers, not so much). As it is, I'll vote for the SG, but I expect this decision will wind up in the Supreme Court.

jawajt

YES! Especially with the P90s!
It’s funny, because I wanted a Pelham Blue Firebird VII for years. But when I happened upon the Tikibird in my local store, I immediately dug it. I got the SG a few months ago. It does look great in Pelham Blue. I also really like the 50th anniversary Pete Townsend SG, which is white with P90s.

jamez

I have Gibson and Epi SG's with P90s and HBs and probably always will. I'd had Epi Firebird and Explorer in the past and had been thinking about getting a Gibson version of either, but nothing suitable showed up used and didn't want to shell out the coin for new. However, I ended up trying one of the new Epi Firebird versions with the neck through construction and took it home. This thing is awesome with a nice chunky neck and is a way better guitar than my old set neck version. Could end up being a keeper. I like the 'extended neck' feel of these guitars (Sg's and offsets) in comparison with LPs. I use a decent quality leather strap and have no issue with neck dive. GAS sorted for now, but, you know.......

Mel897

I've owned 2 SGs, a mid sixties SG Standard and a '71 Custom. Loved them both but found the tuning a bit unstable... with the Standard, the vibrola was the issue and with the Custom it was the neck/truss rod which would move as the neck was warmed up as you played it. You might want to try a Nighthawk. I sold my Nighthawk Custom and have always regretted it. I've never had an easier to play guitar. Light, great access to frets and more versatile tone.

WILD BILL 212

Assume you are tall and lean and in good health, so the size and weight of the guitars are not an issue.

Which one is it for you?
The SG Standard is my favorite guitar of all time, I've only owned 3 but in a jail cell with access to only 1 guitar and amp, it would be the 2017 or 1964 Gibson SG Standard.......
I have a 2018 FIREBIRD T (Standard) and a 2017 SG Standard as well as 2019 SG Standard w/Maestro and the SG's blow the FIREBIRD away. The '57 Classic pickups in the SG are probably the biggest difference in the way the guitars sound, the Mini-Hummers in the FIREBIRD are high-out put and can really growl but the SG's just float my boat that certain way...So, SG ? FIREBIRD ? both are awesome guitars..and PITW, if its a GIBSON Standard, I will gladly beat the $#!T out of it !!!

WILD BILL 212

Would you buy an SG or a Firebird?
Yes, absolutely! How much are you asking? :p

If you mean which would I buy if I could only choose one of those two, then it would definitely be an SG — which would then become the second one I own.

I have always loved the body shape/design of the SG, even awkwardly doodling them in school notebooks back when I was a kid, and it was because I just like their looks; NOT because any particular musician played one. Yet, for some reason, I did not set out to buy one. It just so happened that when I was checking out potential candidates to replace a Dan Armstrong clear plexiglass guitar, I tried about 5 different guitar models before picking up my current SG and instantly felt like it was saying, "Where have you been? I was waiting for you!" That was in 1975, and it's still my main axe.
I know what you mean, when you find "THAT" Guitar ! My 'THAT' is, surprisingly enough, a 2017 SG Standard (Blows the doors off my '79 SG Standard too !). I put a Duesenberg LT-II Tremolo on it and it is just sooo BAD-A$$...I miss it when I am not playing it !

Gclef

No go on firebirds. Too long for me.

I'd go sg first.

And I am tall and lean.

But rather than an sg, I'd go for a yamaha revstar first.

Noel Holden

Been jonesing for a Firebird for YEARS, but never did anything about it. It's definitely a leftover affect from my teen years listening to Johnny Winter and Allen Collins.
I also saw those pics of Clapton playing one at the outdoor Bind Faith show that's now on YouTube. And on Live Cream, I think he's playing one on "Sitting on top of the World". Could be wrong, that what is sounds like to me. And now there are beefy-sounding minis. Hmmm, Firebird with a Rio Grande Babybucker is sounding really good in head right now...

Glass Onion

Toneful truth seeker.
Platinum Supporting Member
I have an SG and it took me a while to find one I loved. A 61 reissue and it spoke to me. Learned it’s date of birth so to speak and it turned out to be the same day my dad was born. Of course different year but it has become special to me. So I would buy a firebird. But if I didn’t have either I would play as many of each and find one that made me feel I had to have it. I don’t often buy guitars. Only have one Strat. Long special story about its worth to me. Again involving dad. A tele made from 100 year old pine from my grand dads barn. A 79 Les Paul custom found at a pen shop for 1200 bucks. It’s a second just like Sykes and Billy Duffy. Amazing guitar. Every guitar I have is a piece of perfection to me. And every one I know plays them and says that’s the best I have ever played if that model. Take time to find a gem. It’s worth it.

Trending Topics