Would you buy these? Squier and Fender content

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by g335, Feb 21, 2009.

1. g335

g335 Member

Hello

I am looking at a getting a med to low priced tele and strat.

I am looking at the: Standard Tele and Strat
    Squier Classic Vibe Tele or Strat
    Black and Chrome Tele or Strat
    Vintage Modified Tele or Strat.

Which series would be a good buy?
    If only Squier, would series would be a good buy?

Help

2. bynt

bynt Member

I've actually played a couple of the Classic Vibe Strat and thought they were better than the last couple of Standards as far as craftsmanship and feel but they needed new electronics. They've got a gloppy coat of poly on the neck that I actually like!!!

That said, the last couple of standard strats that I played are not representitive of the norm. They've gotten to be pretty decent and the pickups aren't bad by any stretch of the means. Same goes for the Standard Tele. I get to pick guitars off the floor at the store where I give lessons if I don't bring one and I was grabbing a Standard Tele there over the Highway 1 for a while.

In the end, I would say PLAY THEM BEFORE YOU BUY IF YOU CAN. I know that sometimes that's not the issue but those are really commone guitars. I'd suggest going to the store with a couple of hours to kill and some money in your pocket!!!!

3. rockstarjay

rockstarjay Member

I only know from the strats but I've hot rodded dozens of these things for students.

The best is the crafted in china affinity. The indonesian ones in the strat packs are not as good. Its thinner but its ALDER.

The Standard is agathis which blows. I love two point trems but for cheap pot metal bridges the vintage design sounds better. Tuners are perfectly functional on all, but one did break on my standard.

Classic vibes are cool but cost twice as much as the affinitys. if you bought real pickups with that money, the affinity would own it.

I got a black and chrome one as a gift recently, It looks cool at first, but look at it for a couple of months and the look gets old REAL fast.

For any of these models a 250k volume pot will improve the tone dramatically over the 500k.

4. g335

g335 Member

So you are saying that a Squier Standard or Affinity is better than the Black and Chrome Squiers? But above those are the Classic Vibe Squiers?
    How about the Vintage Modified Squiers? Everyone with experiences with these?

5. rockstarjay

rockstarjay Member

The Black and chrome is a standard Squier with a plastic mirror pickguard and a black finished headstock.

You really can't work around the wrong wood. The affinity's and Classic vibes are both alder and have the 6 screw bridge (better on cheapies). So either one would be superior to a standard, bullet, or vintage modified.

The Chinese affinities are of noticeably better construction (they are on the WALL in GC., then they sell you the pack with the crappier Indo one inside.) than the Indonesian ones.

I like the lightweight of the affinity because to me its a backup.

So all things being equal, the decision is this: for the $320-$350 you'll spend on the Classic vibe will it outperform the $160 Affinity with Duncan SSL-1's or Fender custom shop pickups? I don't think it will.

6. Blingdogg

Blingdogg Member

I have a 2008 Squier Standard Tele that I like to play just as much as the Fender MIM Std. Tele I used to have. Stock pickups are much nicer IMO, neck is just as comfortable so it has good playability, tuners are decent, and overall build quality is comparable to the Fender. It's made of agathis, but does that really matter? There's no bad wood when it comes to tone, they only sound different. Don't let the wood stop you from getting one; I find the Squier Std. Tele sounds better than the Fender MIM Std.

Only major fault I find with my Squier Tele compared to the MIM Tele I used to have is the fret ends need to be filed. That's it.

7. joeburke

joeburke Member

The Vibes that i've played have all been pretty nice for $299. However, I played a Standard Strat at Guitar Center the other night for $199 that was, to me, better than the MIM Fender standards, and was much better than the '98 MIM standard that I owned. If I was in the market for another Strat, I wouldn't hesitate.

8. rockstarjay

rockstarjay Member

Once again, no idea on the teles. On the Strats its a big deal. I just swapped the body of my standard for an old affinity body I had laying around and it was noticably better.

On my standard the pickups were neck 4.3k, bridge 4.3k (although the bridge had different color wire it was the same as the neck), middle 5.7k.

The 5.7k one was pretty good, the other two pretty useless.

9. g335

g335 Member

What range is good for a pickup to have? Lower or higher?

10. es125tcd

es125tcd Member

Bought my daughter a Squier affinity series butterscotch blonde/ black guard strat about 2 yrs ago from MF- I believe it was 149.00, and bought her a tweed hardshell case for a little extra- had somewhere around 2 bills in it total- Nice tele twang, ( I'm a single coil guy- ) decent bang for the buck, swapping out the pups for some lollars would be a good upgrade, but am really pleased with the fit and finish , and grain of the body- appears to be a 2 piece ,nice grain matching, although if it were " mine" , I would strip the poly on the neck, shoot some reranch vintage amber tint on it, and about 10 coats of tru oil to make her butter smooth, with the vintage amber vibe to the neck !!! - btw,, while she's away at college, I'm going to " clone " the body ( make a template ) and build an esquire with a lollar broadcaster pup in it- probably gonna experiment and build the body from red elm - found some with grain to die for !!!

11. strat1946

strat1946 Member

I have owned the Squier Standard Telecaster and the Affinity Telecaster. Both are fairly nice, but disappointing for various reasons. They are also not the bargain they once were.

I presently own the Squier Vintage Modified SH Telecaster, and the Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster. I love these two guitars, because they look killer, have a fairly chunky 21-fret neck, which is my preference.

I would not trade my Vintage Modified or my Classic Vibe for a MIM Standard. YMMV

12. rockstarjay

rockstarjay Member

The vintage pickups ranged from about 5.7k to occasionally as high as 6.5.

4.3 is way low.