Would you consider a Trainwreck Express a High Gain, or a High Distortion amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by midnightlaundry, Feb 17, 2012.

1. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

2. stratpaulguy86

stratpaulguy86 Member

High Distortion, as in 100% real power tube distortion. When I think High Gain amps there's this massive headroom 100w monster that gets most of its gain from cascading preamp tubes/diode sections in the preamp. The Trainwreck Express is one of my favorite amp circuits ever!

3. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

Yeah man. I haven't owned an amp where the sound came from total power clip.

Now that I have a Wreck, I totally hear the power clip on classic era recordings. Those guys played so loud back then.

4. FourThirtyTwo

FourThirtyTwo Member

Yep, and it's STILL all about playing loud if it sounds good!

5. Onioner

Onioner Member

Sure. What's there to discuss?

6. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

i think it is both. the express starts to break up at around 9 oclock on the volume. the fact that the V1 is so sensitive tells me that it is also relying on input from the preamp. i think that the express slams its preamp into its power amp simultaneously , so you get both an overdriven pre amp into a power amp.
    I believe that ken called the express a "high gain " amp . I dont think you can call a power amp section "high gain". I could be wrong here, but i think an express is closer to an amp like a fender deluxe than a high gain amp like a S.L.O. From my experience the express responds more to input than output meaning that a tele will offer way more headroom and control than a les paul.
    the amp also runs around 100 volts on the plates less than the average EL-34 based amp if that means anything.