Would you consider Mick Jagger to be a great singer?

Singer or great front man

• Great singer

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Great front man

Votes: 106 56.1%
  • Both

Votes: 78 41.3%

• Total voters

nightchef

He’s either the world’s best bad singer or the world’s worst great singer.

He’s such a mess, technically, and a large proportion of the time it sounds like he can’t be bothered. But those other times? You get this:

and this:

(Which, incidentally, is an example of the “technical mess” as well as the greatness; there are ghastly misfires of pitch and support in there, but they hardly seem to matter, the expressive focus and nuance is so breathtakingly good.)

Five Horizons

Silver Supporting Member
Jagger rocks, period!

Some singers aren’t textbook “great”, but deliver. I’d include other greats like Tom Petty, Geddy Lee and Neil Young in that list.

Joe Robinson

Platinum Supporting Member
“Singing” is a lot more objective than “voice” is. Is he on pitch? Is he off pitch? In his day, he had great pitch, ergo, good singing. These days, there are some clams.

On the other hand he’s not simply a good songwriter or lyricist, he’s amongst the very best. C’mon. Is there a better lyrical hook than “I met a gin soaked barroom queen in Memphis” ? Ok, maybe but that’s “Please allow me to introduce myself”

And no one deserves the “lifetime commitment with high energy award more than Mick”

george4908

Silver Supporting Member
He’s either the world’s best bad singer or the world’s worst great singer.

He’s such a mess, technically, and a large proportion of the time it sounds like he can’t be bothered. But those other times? You get this:

and this:

(Which, incidentally, is an example of the “technical mess” as well as the greatness; there are ghastly misfires of pitch and support in there, but they hardly seem to matter, the expressive focus and nuance is so breathtakingly good.)

Agree with all of the above, good and bad. Will add only that when he affects a southern accent, it's cringeworthy.

Wow
It's about the song
Dylan
Jagger
Roth
Ect...
Not exactly crooners but take them out of the mix no bueno.
Lest we forget
Waits
Prine
Townes van Sant
On and on...

nsureit

Old Guy...but not too old
Silver Supporting Member
They both did this video spur of the moment after the 9 hour recording session for Live Aid.

"When YouTube prankesters created a "silent" version of the Dancing In The Street video that removed all the music and vocals and just left in some fake squaks, shuffles and the odd grunt apparently coming from the performers, one of the clip's biggest fans was none other than David Bowie himself. Guitarist Ben Monder, who played on Bowie's final album, Blackstar, recalled: "He thought that was hilarious and would just have us watch the whole thing."

Jake E. Lynch

I think an easier way to pick this one apart; look how many people have tried to mimic Mick’s vocal style and how many have stolen his stage moves.

From Scott Weiland to Maroon 5, his stage moves are certainly celebrated far more than his vocal capabilities.
Mick is one of the greatest ROCK singers of all time. I can't imagine so many incredible songs The Stones put out with someone else singing. Plus Mick is by far one the greatest front men ever. He is Mick FREAKING Jagger.

BADHAK

The Stones 68 -73 are probably my all time fave band and Jaggers voice and lyrics are a big part of that. He is not a great singer in the technical sense (thank gawd)but he was perfect for what they were doing then. I also like the Brian Jones era but at some point in the mid-late 70's his voice changed (listen to Ya Ya's then Love You Live)and he started enunciating every word to the point I've found him unlistenable for decades.

Top Bottom