Would you do this trade?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by amdowell, Aug 7, 2019.

1. DrewH

DrewH Member

It all depends on if your CE and the other stuff is just collecting dust. If it is and you can trade for something you'll play the hell out of, then it doesn't matter if the deal is a bit financially lopsided. You win in other ways.

FLYING V 83 likes this.
  2. m@2

m@2 Member

As other shave stated, it's a deal where you are giving up a bit more stuff (value) for the LP. You could likely sell your stuff, and find a LP of that level for sale for less and still have cash, but selling stuff is PITA so if it's stuff you are not using, trade that stuff for stuff you will use.

p.s. stuff

3. amdowell

amdowell Supporting Member

The guy is pretty aggressive also. Kind of unreasonable, so I think I’m going to back out.

I don’t need the Les Paul. Just wanted one. But like some of you have said, I was willing to do the PRS and the El Cap, but the dude wanted more so I was considering it.

DCross, Da Geezer, Json and 3 others like this.
  4. Ghast

Ghast Member

Good call. I never hesitate to back out if I get a bad vibe or don't like the person. Any time I've given them the benefit of the doubt, it's caused me more trouble than it's been worth

5. Fitzer

Fitzer Supporting Member

The PRS side seems to be giving too much up for a pretty run of the mill Les Paul. I’d maybe try to do just the PRS and Breedlove together, but then I’m a negotiator and more interested in coming out ahead in deals like this for pretty basic, not particularly rare or high-end gear.

6. amdowell

I know it’s kind of a dumb thread, but I do appreciate the feedback. I was still going back and forth with this guy until about 10 minutes ago when I just shut it down. I felt like he either overvalued his LP or he was just trying to take advantage of me.

Jabberwocky and sedawkgrep like this.
  7. sedawkgrep

sedawkgrep Silver Supporting Member

IMO you made the right choice. That deal seemed heavily favored for the other guy.

Jabberwocky, amdowell and NamaEnsou like this.
  8. JosephZdyrski

JosephZdyrski Member

Not unless I could play the GT first and see if it’s really worth it.

No guarantee the more expensive guitar is the better guitar and your tradings a lot more than one guitar. So unless you hate all that gear make sure you like the Les Paul...Do NOT make assumptions!!

Jabberwocky and amdowell like this.
  9. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

If it were me and I could raise $2,500ish, I’d buy a used R7. That’s what I paid for my 2014 R7 a few months ago.

Jabberwocky, amdowell and Bankston like this.
  10. fishlog

fishlog Supporting Member

I'm glad some people outlined the cost differences for you... as someone on Reverb a lot I thought you were giving away a lot.

11. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Member

For an intact good Custom Shop R7, yeah, sure. For a Gibson USA Trad, no way, you're getting the short end. Throw in an aggressive trader and I won't even look back to renegotiate the trade. That guy is being unreasonable. At least, trade with someone who is pleasant and fair. I feel that he is trying to take advantage of you.

Better off selling off the pieces yourself. And then shop.

Tone Meister and amdowell like this.
  12. JohnF

JohnF Member

You still wanna play Gibson after that play authentic b***s**t? I will never play Gibson after it.

amdowell likes this.
  13. amdowell

It’s funny actually, I went and played a couple Les Pauls over the weekend and then played my CE22. Really didn’t miss anything about the LP.

I think people associate the CE guitars with lesser quality because of the bolt-on necks.

For a brief update, the guy has texted me every morning since I declined to trade asking if I’m ready to trade yet. Obviously the dude is aggressive and kind of an a-hole, so I’m feeling really good about my decision to keep my PRS.

DCross and Jabberwocky like this.
  14. Tone Meister

Tone Meister Supporting Member

You saved yourself a wad by declining that trade. The way I see it, the trade would been about $800 or more in his favor. Unless his LP is one that's special you already have a better guitar in the CE.

Time to tell him to pump the brakes.

15. Mark Ray

Mark Ray The RockTrain Gold Supporting Member

If the CE is loaded with Dragon 1's, it's a no brainer for me!

amdowell likes this.
  16. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

Lopsided - the PRS side sounds awfully heavy & overloaded. I'd say pull either the Strymon or the PRS out of the deal, or both, and offer a little cash with the remaining stock in place of those two items. I don't know that any non-vintage LP is worth giving up multiple guitars, much less a CE22. At the barest minimum, pull the Strymon.

amdowell likes this.
  17. amdowell

Yup, has the original Dragons.

18. amdowell

I’ve stopped communication with him. Thanks for the support. Feeling a bit silly now that I considered the deal at all.

19. Auriemma

Auriemma Member

I would NEVER trade my '07 CE22. Great sound and feel. Highly underrated and undervalued.
    If you want an LP GT, save up and buy one, but play it first. Not all guitars are created equal.

amdowell likes this.
  20. Bob T.

Bob T. Member

[​IMG]

amdowell likes this.