Would you ever commit to a pedal trade and back out of it?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by analogjunkie, Jun 20, 2006.

1. analogjunkie

analogjunkie Member

A fellow forumite seems to think this is good forum ethic.

I dont want to be the bad guy here and expose him... but i think this is a little messed up.

i wont :horse but I just want to know what everyone thinks?

2. mild

mild Member

the same thing that you do mate...

its bad form, unless the circumstance is beleivably warrantable. (Eg, house burned down, wife left him, mauled by a bear-cat, etc...)

but this isn't really the place to vent mate. I beleive the mods handle this sort of thing, if you beleive that you got shafted?

jono.

3. Ganderson

Ganderson Member

It took all of 10 seconds to figure out who and what deal you are talking about.

Definitely a lame thing to do but other than you being disappointed, no harm has really been done to anything other than his rep.

4. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

I think it stinks. If you give your word, keep it. If you commit to something, follow through. But what are you gonna do? You aren't likely to get any satisfaction by outing him.

Believe me, I know how you feel. Completley unrelated to TGP, I recently was looking at a particularly hard to find guitar at an online dealer. I sat on the fence too long, and someone bought it. When the guy who bought it put it up for sale shortly thereafter, he and I came to an agreement and I pulled the trigger not wanting it to get away again. Before any money was exchanged, he sold it to someone else.

I wanted to give him a peice of my mind. I didn't; realizing it wouldn't solve anything. It would just harm my own reputation.

I've been on the other end too. Started to change my mind about selling a peice of gear. I kept my end of the bargain. I certainly wish everyone would.

5. Gordon_Gecko

Gordon_Gecko Member

Dude, I was making a good deal with a forumite on a guitar. We e-mailed back and forth, and when I was ready to paypal, he didn't respond... set me up for a week of serious GAS pangs. Could be shotty e-mail, who knows?

Oh yeah to answer you question... that is pretty ******. :eek:

6. Gordon_Gecko

Gordon_Gecko Member

What is a bear-cat? LOL

7. pepperco

pepperco Member

ethics ?
    Its worse ethics to slag on someone. We really avoid that here,
    and we avoid starting topics that do rip on a person or a deal.

No one wants to hear all of the facts. My advice would be to just
    drop it. So a guy backed out on a trade.....big deal. Maybe he
    realized it was a bad deal....for him, and came to his senses.
    And you would consider exposing him for what ? Not making a
    bad deal ?

8. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

I;ve had two deals on the same pedal go sour due to people not coming thru... I think the pedal is cursed =)

9. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

hahahahahhahaha

10. pepperco

pepperco Member

Why is this post not in the PUB?

Right now there is someone with a LEGITIMATE pedal
    question, that just got their topic bumped to the second
    or third page.......the PUB folks the PUB......

:horse

11. cubba65

cubba65 Member

It's unfortunate as you were psyched to get the pedal, but sometimes people change their mind, happens all the time, no big deal.
    You didn't pay any money, it's a trade, the guy had a change of heart.
    I'd say get over it and move onto finding that deal somewhere else.

12. mild

mild Member

Behold - the mighty Bear-Cat!! It will MAUL YOU!!!

[​IMG]

(Alright, alright... the chinese translation of Panda, literally means, in english, "Bear Cat". There you go... you learn something new everyday...)

13. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

A forumite ripped me off. What should I do? First, please re-read the Emporium Rules.

What you should do
    • If you have proof of deceit that would hold up in small claims court, notify the administrators and they can take action on the forum. We can’t and won’t get involved in issues without solid proof.
    • Share your experience with other forumites via private channels such as PM or email.
    What you should NOT do
    • Publicly air your grievance. Accusing another forumite of ripping you off without solid proof is not tolerated. If you have enough proof to keep your claim from getting you suspended for personal attacks, it's enough to get the seller banned. If you don't have evidence that satisfies the administrator's burden of proof, you will likely end up sanctioned before the person who you claim ripped you off.

14. dosmun

dosmun Member

What he said. It sounds like he just changed his mind and didn't rip anyone off. Who knows maybe you will find a better deal.

15. Gordon_Gecko

Gordon_Gecko Member

No one ripped on a person or a deal in specifics... I have no idea which forumite is involved. Post on, BRUTHA. Pay know mind to the Thought Police....:dude

16. analogjunkie

analogjunkie Member

It just erks me that for a day and a half we were planning on doing the deal, I package the thing up and thank god i checked my email before i sent it out... he emails me and tells me his B/S story about how he thought the deal was great at first, was exactly what he was looking for.. but after doing 'ebay research'(come on.. everyone knows ebay is an unrelyable source for pricing gear.. fluxuates ever week) because he THINKS hes losing 20-50$ on the deal (which isnt true at all- he would be making that much not losing it) he doesnt want to do it now. why dont you just do you research BEFORE you commit to doing a deal?? thats all im saying. :BITCH

17. gregovertone

gregovertone Member

a few months ago, a forumite offered me a CJOD for my murf and $.

i sent out the murf and paypal'd $500.

the day after i sent everything out....he changed his mind.

said it wasn't the best move to make during tax season.

i'm not gonna name names, but *******, i was pissed off.

he refunded my $$, but it took long enough because it had to clear on his end, and then clear on mine.

poor transaction skills.

18. Gordon_Gecko

Gordon_Gecko Member

AJ... after hearing that story, I'd be a little pissed, but the GregGT story... Damn I'd be on fire :FM :FM :Devil ... that's ******. What comes around....
    :BEER

19. Noah

Noah Supporting Member

Well, it looks like I was ripped off by this guy analogjunkie. I should have went with my initial impressions. All the guys who said I was in bad form should understand that this analogjunkie guy was a brand new member, and seemed very shady right from the start. Strange how many guys here bashed me without taking into account that I may have had good reason to back out. Now the guy has since been banned from thegearpage, and possible harmony central.

After feeling guilty about everything, I went ahead and apologized for backing out, and agreed to the trade. I sent my pedal by priority mail over one month ago now, and still have never recieved the Murf.... looks like the guy was a crook. He was trying to sell my Red Llama just days after recieving it.

20. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

Hey Noah,

That really sucks, man. And, to anyone reading this, I can and will vouch for Noah. I've bought from him before, and he's been nothing but a first-class guy to deal with. So sorry to hear you got hosed, dude.

Best,

Doc