Would you feel "right" buying a guitar from this factory?

grunge782

Not trying to get all preachy...but these questions have been on my mind a lot lately. What do you guys think?

icr

Am I missing something? The video looks like a regular guitar factory? Is it really a front for an illicit drug and gambling operation?

Greg_L

I wouldn't because the guitars are ugly. Not because of some silly social commentary.

ixnay

What in that video would make me not feel 'right' about it? Other than the fact that they are making guitars in which I have no interest...

grunge782

Am I missing something? The video looks like a regular guitar factory? Is it really a front for an illicit drug and gambling operation?
I'll be honest, I don't know that much about guitar factories, but it is in Indonesia which is why I posted this here. I guess I was thinking more in terms of wages and what not, but if this looks standard then that is nice to hear.
I wouldn't because the guitars are ugly. Not because of some silly social commentary.
haha...:bonk

Alton

Well, I didn't see anyone chained to their machine. Didn't see any kind of overlord with whip in hand. Granted the machining was not CNC but, tried and true manufacturing processes were being used. Saw little evidence of quality control being exercised but if these guitars are a fail you can bet the market will reject them soon enough.

All in all, probably well worth a test drive.

grunge782

Well, I didn't see anyone chained to their machine. Didn't see any kind of overlord with whip in hand. Granted the machining was not CNC but, tried and true manufacturing processes were being used. Saw little evidence of quality control being exercised but if these guitars are a fail you can bet the market will reject them soon enough.

All in all, probably well worth a test drive.
Thanks, well that helps. I'm just trying to learn what is considered "standard" safety when it comes to guitar building. Also considering that so much manufacturing occurs in Asia I wanted to see the board's opinion about manufacturing practices there.

tamader74

Well, I think if you were 'into' these guitars...I guess I would have to look at it like I was walking into a Wal-Mart, and they were doing a 'Clinic' in an area in the store,...You know, just like when they set-up those little taste testing stands for certain cheese or whatever.

I've already WASTED WAY to much of my life trying to teach my own Children NOT to by into going to every damn Dollar Store, or Wal-Mart type stores out there. I gave up, and you know I find it quite nice to have my BIG FAT Pension, and I get to spend it on everything being a lot cheaper than things were 'Back in the Day',...

...I gave up on 'Saving the US Economy and Jobs', as apparently America don't want to be saved, and I got tired of having a sore throat from Preaching,...I used to firmly believe in 'Buy American',...NOW, I simply SAY 'Buy Away'. Tom

...BTW, Just asking...Can you even earn a Pension in this Country anymore?...Just wondering, I sure don't hear much about 'em anymore, umm,...Wonder why?

Flash6969

Thanks, well that helps. I'm just trying to learn what is considered "standard" safety when it comes to guitar building. Also considering that so much manufacturing occurs in Asia I wanted to see the board's opinion about manufacturing practices there.
There's no such thing as 'standard' health & safety for any profession around the world - what's considered unsafe in your country may be fine in another country for various reasons.
You can't expect the Indonesians to be following US safety laws.

Mandrax

There's no such thing as 'standard' health & safety for any profession around the world - what's considered unsafe in your country may be fine in another country for various reasons.
You can't expect the Indonesians to be following US safety laws.
Exactly. Now I don't know what it's like in the USA in terms of Health and Safety laws, but in the UK they are out of control. You can't even fart without putting in a dozen forms and putting your building on full lockdown....

...an exaggeration of course, but you get my point I hope.

Scott Auld

Administrator
Staff member
The people in that video are making a wage AND learning a skill. I am happy for them. I am happy for the Washburn corporation if they are executing on a business plan that is successful. I am also happy for anyone who gets a Washburn NGD and is happy with their purchase.

Life is so hard, no need to make it harder.

jimmybcool

While the style of guitar holds no interest to me I see no reason they can't build decent guitars in that factory. Sure, there may be slight differences between one and the next like the old days before CNC but who cares?

As to any social commentary or is it a factory operating with safe conditions I have no qualms. They are issued face covers for the dust and I didn't see large bandsaws uncovered they could fall into. Likely safer than their own standards.

I recall watching as my condo in Thailand was built. Builder wanted me to see the progress on mine on the 7th floor. The stairs weren't 100% complete and there was no external wall yet so it was a sheer drop 3 feet from where we went up. As I am coming down workers hand carrying 40 pound bags of cement up the stairs in flip flops are going around me one step from oblivion. Including small women. That made me nervous as hell and I didn't look at condo progress again until the walls around the stairs were completed.

Luke

Does anyone think the much loved vintage Fenders of Leo's era were built any differently? Back then there were less safety regulations and no dusk masks.

Jimi D

Watching that video makes me want to try a guitar from that factory. :)

You know, when I was a young man, working in a place like that would have been a dream come true... Can you imagine that smell of sawdust and power tools? Heaven... Of course, back in my youth I was topping pines and assembling free standing scaffolding and soft skin structures, usually without the benefit of any more safety equipment than work boots, a hard hat, and a "safety belt" that invariably wasn't actually attached to anything...

GermanCDN

Actually, I kind of liked that video. Reminds me of the video Wayne Charvel used to have up on the Waynesguitars website about him building everything with a bandsaw, drillpress and a couple of pin-jack router setups. Pretty slick (and yes, this is the way Fender used to make guitars).

As far as the safety standards go, I've done a lot of manufacturing in Eastern Asia, and that place is a far safer setup than most I've seen.

Tele71

Platinum Supporting Member
Actually a pretty good looking shop. Organized and productive. Did anyone notice the machine they were using to contour the bodies? No CNC in here. This is how it's done these days or you could buy a partscaster put together in someones garage from parts manufactured in this shop. Ha!!!

Best
Paul

Trending Topics