Would you finance an amp through guitar center?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tampitump, May 31, 2015.

1. Tampitump

Tampitump Member

I REALLY REEEEAAAALLLLLYYYY want a Friedman BE100! But I'm too poor to afford one. I was considering financing one, but it's questionable if I can even afford that. I'll need the cab too. If I were to finance just the head it would be around $152/month. My rent is relatively low, but at this stage in my life who knows what new bills will find their way into my life? Is it good to finance through companies like Guitar Center, Musicians Friend, or Sweetwater?

Also, I was wondering if there are other amps out there that are not boutique that could compete with the BE100? I'm chasing a Nuno Bettenourt/80s metal type tone. I'm open to all suggestions. I just need a good solid amp that does a good sounding heavy rock tone. I appreciate all help!

2. pbmw

pbmw Member

If you have no credit and want to establish it, then it may be a good idea. You need to look at the cost of borrowing those dollars.
    Not for me. I'd much rather save up and buy it outright.

Metatron_X likes this.
  3. winterblu

winterblu Supporting Member

I wouldn't do it unless I was making a living with the amp.. If I don't have the $$ for something I want I save and sell off other gear then buy it when I have the dough to pay for
    it in full. Keep a look out, maybe you can pick up a used one for a lot less. I try to buy used whenever possible, if you're patient it usually works out.

Metatron_X and tone? like this.
  4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

No. It's a bad deal interest rate wise alone not to mention going into debt for a hobby pursuit is a bad idea and gets many people deep into financial trouble, be they guitarists, golfers or model train enthusiasts.

If this is a business expense, ie you're in a band that's making money and you have a career to pursue in it, then a good loan might make OK, but not great, financial sense. But I gather this probably isn't your situation right now.

If you must borrow, try getting a smaller loan for just part of the cost from a credit union and pay as much cash into the deal as you can. This would help you establish credit at a much more reasonable interest rate and probably have more personalized service as well.

Metatron_X and LensOfMadness like this.
  5. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

I would grab a used 5150 unless I was going to make decent income by playing the amp and write off gear costs as business expenses.

6. Tampitump

Tampitump Member

Well, those who have followed/remember my posts know that I'm an apiring original artist. No, I don't currently belong to a money-making working band. I'm just trying to get my music thing off the ground and I'm starting to look at investing in professional equipment. I'm also looking to get "my sound" together as I'm definitely more into the original thing verses doing covers and needing equipment for versatility purposes. I have a pretty clear idea of what I want my guitars/amps to sound like. I'm just poor and cannot afford pretty much anything.

It's funny you mention the 5150 lostpoet2, I had a 6505+ but had to sell it to pay the bills. Lol

7. Richeray

Richeray Supporting Member

Most of the places you mention usually offer an interest free period. Either 6 or 12 months. If you have a steady source of income, and feel confident you could pay the whole thing off within the no interest period, I would say go for it. But, as you mention that its "questionable" about covering the payments, my advice is to wait until you're absolutely sure its something you can afford.

8. Tampitump

Tampitump Member

I checked with guitar center and I believe it's 18 months no interest. The only reason I say it's questionable is because I'm not certain I will stay at my current job. I'm considering other amps too but I seem to keep going back to the BE100 because from the reviews and videos I've seen it seems to do everything I need and has the sound I'm looking for over other amps on the market.

9. JDutch

JDutch Member

No, unless circumstances are dire, in terms of borrowing for consumer spending, borrowing money should be limited to education; practical, daily-driver cars; and home ownership, and obviously, it's better not to have to borrow to pay for those things, if possible.

My advice: start saving for it. If you're like me, within a few months, you'll probably want something else even more.

Tommy Biggs, rowla and LensOfMadness like this.
  10. sixrails

sixrails Supporting Member

I use the Guitar Center and Sweetwater cards for financing all the time because of their 18 month no interest deals. I just make sure to repay the balance before the 18 months expires so that I don't have to pay any interest because the interest rates on those card are ridiculously high. Of course if you don't think you will be able to pay the balance off before the 18 months then I wouldn't recommend financing the purchase.

jpage likes this.
  11. boyce89976

boyce89976 Supporting Member

And don't skip a payment, or the interest is added to the full balance (likely). Read the fine print. If you're not sure you'll stay at your job, and money is already tight, I wouldn't do it. Save up for it like others have said.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  12. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

I see a couple of red flags here. You have already said that you are unsure if you could even afford it. Secondly, you are saying that you are unsure that you will stay at your current job. Needless to say, try and get something much cheaper and used. Don't go into debt unless you can pay it off within the 0 interest timeline. That is a big debt to have if you aren't working or if your rent changes, etc. You can always get one when you are more settled.

LensOfMadness likes this.
  13. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Financing at 0% is a really good plan. Seriously. Unless you're "too poor to afford one" or even if "it's questionable if (you) can even afford that." Another strike would be if you're uncertain about "what new bills will find their way into (your) life". Strike three would be if you're "not certain (you) will stay at (your) current job."

Frankly, I have a hard time believing that a $3700 amp is even remotely necessary for someone that is "poor." I'm sure it's a great amp, but isn't it just a hot-rodded Marshall? You can buy modern Marshall RIs all day long, slam it with a pedal, and call it a day. And you want to buy an amp that costs as much as a few months rent? :messedup

rowla likes this.
  14. DiPa

DiPa Silver Supporting Member

This is very good advice.
    Assuming you are okay financially, and not getting yourself roped in, then I would say that the GC financial deal works for many folks, it allows you to purchase a nice amp at 18 months no interest. You establish credit and you build up your gear.

15. BeardoCI

BeardoCI Member

What does the Friedman do for you that spending half the money on a Marshall or something else genuinely can't get you?

16. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

In your situation it's a bad idea. When you can make this work in your favor is when you have the money avaialable but want to not spend it. Now you can open an account, buy the item with no interest, then pay it off prior to the deadline.

Here's where people fail and get stuck with interest on the entire amount, they either fail to make a payment or fail to pay it off in full prior to the deadline. You do either and not only will you have to pay the cost, but you will also have to pay the interest for the entire item. Many believe that since they missed just the last payment (an example) that the interst is based upon the outstanding amount, it is based upon the total amount and this is where they get killed.

The reason this type of financing still takes place is there are enough people out there who cannot complete simple financial tasks and pretty much allow others to take advantage of it. I know it sounds pretty brutal, but it's actually very simple, just plan and follow through.

17. jamme61

jamme61 Supporting Member

18 months interest free ( don't miss a payment) is the way to go I would also suggest a kemper better for originals more tones and effect for you

18. Thedude99

Thedude99 Member

Save for it and buy it when you can afford it. Taking out that much credit, even at 0% is crazy when you financial situation is in question.

Sound like you are trying to all yourself into something you can't afford. And as others have mentioned - it's not like you need that amp. Getting your music off the ground is going to depend on having talent, not having a really expensive amp.

19. VESmedic

VESmedic Member

This question has nothing to do with guitar equipment... Are you mature enough to manage a credit card and the responsibilities that come with it? That's really the question here... 12 or 18 months no interest like GC offers ain't a bad gig, as long as once again you are mature enough to not just make the minimum payment.

20. Promit

Promit Member

Live within your means. A Friedman is a nice amp. It is certainly not an amp worth creating financial distress to have.

And since it seems like you're new to this... credit card interest rates are extremely, extremely high. This makes credit card companies a lot of money. Store credit card rates are even higher than that. Those deals that give you no interest or no payments for a year? They're designed to make you forget about the payment entirely because guess what happens when that year ends? The entire year of accrued interest is tacked onto the balance all at once.

Looking at credit as a way to own things you don't have the means to own has ruined a lot of lives.

Ok, lecture out of the way. As for Nuno Bettencourt tones? Don't think Friedman, think Soldano (or JCM800). A few years ago Soldano briefly joined a company called Jet City, and licensed a couple amp designs to be produced overseas for cheap. The popular one is the Jet City JCA22h, which is a two channel design with an effects loop, and it sounds fantastic with a good set of tubes in there. One of these is currently retailed at $430, but used can be had for more like $250.

Don't be stupid - buy a Jet City for less than two months of those Friedman payments. A decent V30 cab can be found for 300-400 on top of that.

Last edited: May 31, 2015