Would you have a 14" straight through Radius Fretboard on a Strat?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bigwebb, Feb 22, 2012.

1. bigwebb

bigwebb Member

So I'm at a point with one of my strats where I think I want to replace the neck. I have a warmoth neck on another strat and REALLY dig the quality. The current neck started out as a 7.25" radius I THINK. Through the years, setups, refretting etc it has been flattened/compounded and I like the flatter radius much better for my style of playing. I don't, however, know how flat it is.

I was just looking on the warmoth site and specing one out and figured I'd look through their in stock stuff. I came across one that matches what I want to every detail EXCEPT the radius. It's 14" straight through. As I said, I like a flatter fingerboard radius but I'm not sure if I would dig the 14". Or maybe it would be just right? At any rate it's a great deal on the neck considering it's everything I want. So can someone talk me into or out of this purchase?

2. bazooka47

bazooka47 Member

For me, that is too flat a radius for a Fender type neck. I have tried some of those flat radius necks and did not care for them. I prefer 9.5- 10" radius with 6105 frets on a Strat or Tele.

3. 335guy

335guy Member

Depends on what you like and are accustomed to. I like a flatter radius as I play Gibsons as well ( a 12" radius guitar usually ). Pretty much all Fenders up until the early 70's were 7.25" radius necks. That requires a little higher action, but some players have no problems with those. To see if a 14" raduis neck suits you, you could go play an Ibanez, which usually have a 16" radius neck. If that works for you, you should have no problems with a 14" neck.

4. partsocaster

partsocaster Member

I had a strat with a Warmoth that had their compound radius (10-16), it was pretty nice but was a little too flat at 16. On my single cut, I have a 14 inch radius straight through and love it, actually, my favorite radius to date.

5. Sidmore

Sidmore no talent hack Silver Supporting Member

I recently just did the opposite and it's a big jump so you might wanna play something with a similar radius first...

I went from playing a 17" radius for 20+ years to a 7.25" Tele and it felt really foreign for a while; strings felt crowded and bends were... weird. I then picked up a 335 semi-hollow clone with a 12" radius and it now gets the most playing time.

6. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

*I* would certainly prefer a 14" radius.

7. codyj84

codyj84 Member

My main strat and tele are both 14" with Gibson nut widths... I do alot of lead playing, so its better for me... I have a 7.25 strat that I prefer if Im playing rhythm... Alot of lower chords on a 14 gets tiresome.

8. b3john

b3john Member

I really, really, really like the 9.5"-14" compound radius necks they are putting on the AmDlx Strats. :D

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  9. shane88

shane88 Member

pv wolfgangs have a very fenderesque neck + a 15" radius

anywhere betwen 12" & 16" works for me

10. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

I think my '91 Strat Plus might be a 14in...... Not sure but it is flat and I like it!

11. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

I don't want her, you can have her, she's too flat for me. HEY!

12. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

I have a strat with a 10"-16" compound radius with a 1 11/16 nut width. My high e string does not line up over the polepeice on the bridge pickup ( I was using a Fralin SP43 in the bridge). I tried a 9.5" radius neck with 1 11/16 nut width from another guitar on it and it lined up fine. The guitar plays fine and the string spacing is good. I solved my issue with a hot rail in the bridge slot, which I happen to enjoy for its versatility. I'm not 100% that the radius is causing this, but I wanted to share my experience.

13. otaypanky

otaypanky Gold Supporting Member

I have a Warmoth Vintage Modern 10"-16", one piece goncalo alves and stainless frets and it's awesome

14. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I'll venture a 100% NOT likely, mate!

15. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

I have a straight 14" radius on a Carvin Bolt and with the Jescar .047/ .104 Medium Jumbos, for me it's great for bending, wide stretches, and 5 and six fret wide chords.

The compound Radius 12"-16" don't feel much different to me IF they have the same frets than the straight 14" I have now, they feel very similar.

I am a technical player with small hands, so I should notice a big difference, but I don't- however this stuff is very subjective- you've got to check for yourself.

I've seen guys ( famous guys like Hendrix when I was a kid ) ( and not famous but excellent) bend and have great Vibrato on 7.5 " Radius Strats and Teles but when I tried it-

It was "strictly rhythm- and I COULDN"T make it cry or sing" -but that's just my limitations.

Play an EJ Strat which is a straight 12 " and picture just a little flatter, (which I do feel a difference between a straight 12 and 14 ) and easier bending- that's it.

So the answer IMO to your question "Absofrekin-lutely Yes."

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
    GosseB likes this.