Would YOU have done the Gibson/Agnesi "Play Authentic" video?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by nixpix, Jun 24, 2019.

If you were Gibson's Director of Brand Experience would you have done the Play Authentic video?

1. Yes

81 vote(s)
    19.9%
  2. No

326 vote(s)
    80.1%
  1. nixpix

nixpix Member

The majority of players' responses to Gibson's "Play Authentic" video have been negative. Mark Agnesi has come up quite a bit in the discussions. Some people are disgusted by his role in the video (since he used to sell and even promote "knockoff" Gibsons for his previous employer, among other reasons) while others view him as just doing his job for his new boss, him being a 'victim' himself.

If you were in his position, considering where he came from and his experience, would you have agreed to make the video, as-is, when approached by the Gibson bosses or would you have refused no matter what the consequences?

2. Dashface

Dashface Member

I think he probably didn’t have much choice.

He’s in an especially hard place because his replacement at Norm’s is great and the people like him a lot - so it’s not like he can just go and risk his new job.

I think Mark got a job at Gibson that could be a dream come true for a nerd like us, but he really truly got off to a bad start that he may not be able to recover from. Making one of his first releases an uncomfortable weird defensively tow the company line piece was a real mistake by his managers, too - after all, Mark could have been Gibson’s bridge to the people.

3. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

I think the message could have been worded differently and delivered differently to be more positive.

For me a big part of the problem with that video is his personality. I just don’t care for his delivery, even in the Norm videos.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  4. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Silver Supporting Member

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!
    I'd rather direct the next Godzilla movie

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    aeiou (why?), Rod, flysky578 and 12 others like this.
  5. Theorist

Theorist Supporting Member

6. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I get what he was trying to say, but he said it way wrong, and the Internet ain’t having it.

The core of his message is reasonable, but he (nor Gibson) is scaring no one.

7. Lung plunger

Lung plunger Member

Nawl.

Being a player, knowing players... should've known this was gonna be the result. Anyone in social media knows that Gibson's struggles are out there in the wide open, always have been. With a reputation of lousy quality control and high prices, I would've said "this is a bad move, and trust me...you'll regret it".

otter5555, guitrr and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  8. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

A bankrupt company with no direction is not really in a position to dictate to others.

9. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Right. He was the perfect choice for THAT video. The cockiness, arrogance, too cool...the right face for the message.

I wouldn’t expect anything less.

10. Halsey

Halsey Member

He did just move across the country and buy what looks to be a rather nice house. So... goodness. I don’t see how that wouldn’t factor into decision making and perhaps doing something uncomfortable.

But also I can see him not caring and embracing the tough guy man jewelry leather jacket persona and being like “yeah, I’m the man! We bad dudes, big business, hot shiite and I fit in with denim dude JC who’s a super cool cat.”

11. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

He looked out of place and totally uncomfortable IMO. I thought his facial expressions and his body language clearly showed he was not convicted of the message he was asked to deliver.

Or I’m totally misreading him.

Regardless of whether you agree or disagree with Gibson, I think we all agree the way the message as delivered was not well executed. I wouldn’t have done it.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  12. bigfoamfinger

bigfoamfinger Supporting Member

They should have gone after the international knock offs. I think we would have all supported an aggressive stance on that

Mad-kiwi, Matt Rain, scott944 and 8 others like this.
  13. wetordry

wetordry Member

Possible it was edited poorly from a bunch of scripted topics.
    Maybe he thinks he's trying to have a place in Gibson's history or thinks his reputation is on the line.
    Personally, I would like to think that i'd suggest legal matters should be left out of "brand experience" videos, but insular corporate echo chambers...that's some rarified air.

Washburnmemphis and enharmonic like this.
  14. Laservampire

Laservampire Member

Still waiting for Fender to sue PRS over the John Mayer model ;)

15. nixpix

nixpix Member

As interesting as many of the Guitar of the Day episodes were, I was never fond of Mark - he's too arrogant for me. Despite that, I sensed that he had a genuine passion for guitars and the history behind them, and I respected him for that.

Personally, if I had been in his position at Gibson, I would've stood my ground and have refused to appear in the video (assuming that it wasn't Mark's idea or script). And what if the worse case scenario happened and Gibson let him go? I'd imagine that his connections in the guitar industry would get him situated real fast - maybe even with a rival (and more successful) manufacturer. Shouldn't the loyalty be to the guitar community in general rather than to a particular company?

16. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

Wait, he used to sell “knockoff” stuff? So basically he will just say what he’s paid to say by his boss?

On the one hand plenty of folks do it. Change employers and suddenly the person is 100% loyalty. But you know that they are just mouthing words.

On the other hand there are folks who don’t just tow the party line, but stand by what they believe.

Who knows, maybe he was being fake at his previous employers, and is very happy now to say things on Gibson’s behalf. Or maybe he was honest at the other place and is now being a ventriloquist dummy for the new employer.

17. AA864

AA864 Member

I think he was just doing what he was told to do. Sure, it could have been done better or different, but it is what it is. Blame the Senior management that wanted to file the lawsuit, not the messenger. I don't hear a big outcry against James Curleigh, and he's the one that prob signed off on the lawsuit.

18. OldHootOwl

OldHootOwl Member

I'm not sure I understand the "he just works there, he was just doing as he was told" argument. That would be the case if he was an entry level wage employee or a temp or something but he's a Director of Brand Experience. As a Director, he's the guy making these decisions? Right? I feel like the entire ad and the tone was probably created by him because he's the head of the department who handles PR, correct? (I'm just guessing based on his title, I might be wrong about their structure). People say he looks like he's a hostage in the video but that's just because anyone would feel awkward saying what he's saying, it's an embarrassingly bad video with a terrible script. That doesn't mean he doesn't mean what he's saying or it wasn't his idea.

19. nixpix

nixpix Member

Well, I personally wouldn't consider them knockoffs, but I was referring to the Ibanez "lawsuit era" Flying V that was featured in one of the Guitar of the Day episodes. Mark was promoting it as a great guitar while at Norm's but now that he's under Gibson's tutelage he threatens to go after guitar makers that are doing the same thing (to some extent) that Ibanez was.

20. Sampler

Sampler Silver Supporting Member

It’s funny....very early in my marketing career the GM of the division said...”at some point this company will ask you to do something you don’t agree with, and how you react at that time will define your leadership ability and career trajectory”. These things happen all the time in corporate America ...unfortunately for Mark I don’t think he was in a position to do anything but read the script, and it’s clear to me from watching the video he is in way over his head as the face of a consumer brand. I can’t imagine he has a clue how to operate in a corporate environment and manage through the political BS required to change key stakeholder opinions...especially if it was JCs idea. Remember, JC was president at Levi’s during the incredible turnaround of that brand and has a long resume regarding brand strategy, consumer communications and media....this video was not Marks idea, that’s clear.

In his shoes, yes I would do the video but only under the premise that they gain consumer input before posting......”let’s test it and make sure we’ve got the message and tone right, I have concerns it may impact the brand negatively”. This is easy to do quickly, but again Mark has no juice in that environment....I actually think Gibson hiring him was more symbolic than anything else. I still don’t know what value the role provides from a brand building perspective.....to me so far he’s just a (somewhat polarizing) person in videos.