Would YOU have done the Gibson/Agnesi "Play Authentic" video?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by nixpix, Jun 24, 2019.

If you were Gibson's Director of Brand Experience would you have done the Play Authentic video?

1. Yes

81 vote(s)
    19.9%
  2. No

327 vote(s)
    80.1%
  1. Sampler

Sampler Silver Supporting Member

It’s an interesting point, but I honestly believe guitar buying consumers already view Gibson as such and have for a while, even though they were a privately held company. One of the unfortunate outcomes of having a firm like KKR take control during bankruptcy is that the long-term strategies are foregone for short term strategies.....and investment in brand building takes the back seat to cost cutting, product line optimization and in this case lawsuits. I’ve worked in CPG marketing for a while now, and have worked in a company that was under an LBO....for a marketing person it’s like a slow painful death and every decision is scrutinized to the nth degree with an eye towards ROI. Everyone needs to weigh in before anything gets done. I truly believe that colossal failure in content is a result of not just bad marketing decisions, but the influence of a group of people who are looking for short-term gain. The whole thing reeks of a marketing idea that 12 executives weighed in on and what was left is a tone deaf piece of content that can do nothing but leave brand fans scratching their head and saying “Is that my brand”? WTF?

Hoth and rizla like this.
  2. sub rosa

sub rosa Member

Agnesi should have done it as Les Grossman:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  3. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

I would not have. I feel Gibson made a huge mistake here. Not just whether they should have released the message or how they should have done it. that's one issue. My feelings are a company should inspire publicly and sue privately. Protecting your intellectual property etc..is just part of business. I've never seen it go well when you make a public spectacle of yourself. People don't want to see it.

I went and looked at Agnesi's videos and although I don't prefer his delivery style, he's really one of us. A very knowledgeable guitar geek. Which is probably why Gibson hired him.

Here's the biggest mistake as I see it. You don't take your brand ambassador , The feel good guy who is supposed to help you endear your brand to the public and have him deliver the hard hitting ultimatum message. That needs to be done by the CEO. They have now tainted their brand ambassadors relationship with the public. Mark has one simple public message to deliver "We listened and delivered on what you asked us to do. What else do you want to see?"

4. soma

soma Supporting Member

Yes I would have done the job I was paid to do.

It's not like he was being asked to punch babies.

5. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

Another bingo. The CEO served up one of his lieutenants for public slaughter. Is it too late to bring Henry back?

lp_bruce and nixpix like this.
  6. Sampler

Sampler Silver Supporting Member

100%.

Thumpalumpacus and wetordry like this.
  7. blueworm

blueworm Member

I found it entertaining ...

Started a bit like:
    [​IMG]

... and ended like:

[​IMG]

8. Okra

Okra Member

Wow, that poorly-produced vid captures the unhinged!

They need Earnest T Bass for spokesperson:

“Buy our guitars or we’ll burn your house down”

VooDooClown and rizla like this.
  9. Schafrocks

Schafrocks Supporting Member

And what would you prefer he wear? The whole, he’s wearing a leather jacket and Chuck’s so he thinks he’s a badass is well, I don’t know how to describe it. It’s just kind of dumb. I just find it strange that people would be so offended by it. He’s a musician. They’ve been known to wear leather jackets and Chuck Taylor’s. My father wore a leather motorcycle jacket until the day he died. He was 74. He didn’t look the least bit out of place. Not does Mark. It’s one thing to criticize the dude for his actions, but I just sounds like sour grapes by attacking him for wearing a leather jacket and God forbid, Chuck Taylor’s. Hell, I’m 56 and still wear Vans.

Oh well, I’ve contributed plenty to the thread. It has garnered way more attention than it deserves. People are losing their minds over it. Who wants to bet on another 20 pages of beating the horse??

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  10. Kizanski

Kizanski Supporting Member

I'm actually quite fond of those.
    In fact, I submit that is what was sadly lacking in the video.
    And this thread, honestly.

Emigre and Jim85IROC like this.
  11. mikendzel

mikendzel Member

I wouldn't have made the video. The internet, particularly social media is busting at the seems with people who have never created wealth, products, services, or run a business, but all are more than ready and willing to give their "advice" on how others should handle their respective business/business decisions/politics/etc....

It is complete idiocy to expect the internet to do anything but revert to mob-justice, let alone understand a lawsuit trying to protect your copyrights. Now if they had added the words "common sense" to their message, the internet would fall all over itself trying to make sure that everyone knew they supported a message that was common sense!! "Look how smart I am!"

Heinz57Pep likes this.
  12. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

Look at that f*cking trophy wife:

[​IMG]

And I know the Ramones wore Chucks and Pantera wore shorts and white ankle socks, but in what universe are any of those things befitting of a badass? Hell, even "badass" has become the word equivalent of Chuck Taylors and white ankle socks.

13. uab9253

uab9253 Member

And yet, from all of these posts and threads, it appears that Mark did just that, lol.

14. Imerkat

Imerkat Supporting Member

Would YOU have done the Gibson/Agnesi "Play Authentic" video?

ME:
    [​IMG]

27sauce likes this.
  15. Telebluze

Telebluze Gold Supporting Member

That's the first time I've seen that...….what a joke!!

16. gonzoknife

gonzoknife Member

Yes. I’d argue against it and do my best to at least improve it but if I recently uprooted my family, moved them to a new state, bought a house, etc... reality is I’d have done it to keep my job if management demanded it. It’s nice to think people can up and quit when they disagree with management but the truth is many people don’t have that financial flexibility, especially if their the main wage earner for the family.

It’s easy to judge from a distance but sometimes you don’t have a choice. It’s not like he had to kill baby seals. It was just a stupid video. Let’s have some perspective and get on with life.

noley, Thumpalumpacus and Schafrocks like this.
  17. edgewound

edgewound Gold Supporting Member

He clearly....nor did anyone else at Gibson, for that matter...think it through.

I would not have released that video, no matter who was delivering THAT message.

Gibson should hire Mike Rowe as their spokesperson...to convey the message that we make these guitars in America, by skilled American craftspeople, and we will uphold the values of an iconic American brand by delivering unequaled quality and value at every pricepoint.

Thumpalumpacus and lp_bruce like this.
  18. GreatSatan

GreatSatan Member

gibson seem to thrive on bad PR, are they jusy going to be the trolling guitar company now?
    the guitar manufactoring equivalent or morrissey?

19. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

Does anybody know exactly what Gibsons corporate structure is? I think there are Inc., have they ever issued public stock? And, having been recently bailed out, did the company that bailed them out actually buy into the company or did they just rewrite or write a note, and if so is that company a public stock corporation?
    Either way, I would think that holding on to some public image of being a small producer of botique instruments would be of some value and importance to them.
    It seems they have tried not to be lumped in with all the rest of the mass producers.

20. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

It has seemed to me that they have tried to avoid the appearance of being another in a field of many instrument mass producers, and instead seem to have held onto a similar image as for example Martin, which to this day Martin has an image that makes the unique from other companies, including other high priced acoustic making companies.
    I've never really had the impression that they have been victims of corporate raiders or anything similar. The thought never occurred to me.
    And I doubt it is the case. I think it is just more a situation of a company that has made some bad decisions and not kept up with competition.

For example, if I am not mistaken they bought a majority share in TEAC, which doesn't make sense to me, buying into a company that makes recording gear at a time when DAWs and other home recording devices are falling out of favor being as anyone with a computer can buy some software and call it a "studio".

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019