Would you keep this guitar??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Sludgefeast_84, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Sludgefeast_84

Sludgefeast_84 Member

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum and am having trouble figuring out how attach a photo to this thread. If anyone can help me with that, I'd appreciate it.

Anyway, here's the issue I'm dealing with. I Iust picked up a used G&L Tribute Legacy from my local Guitar Center that I had shipped there. The picture of it on the website looked great, but it was just one picture of the front of the guitar. When I got it home and unpacked it, I noticed a huge gouge taken out of the finish on the back down to the wood. I'm upset about this because I feel like I was mislead. There were no pics of it, nothing in the item description and it was listed as being in great condition. I paid $379 with tax and shipping, so it wasn't peanuts (not for me anyway).

Besides that, I really like the look, sound,and feel of the guitar. I just don't know if I can get past that nasty gouge and feeling mislead. So what do you guys think...keep it, or return it?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  2. budglo58

budglo58 Member

3. The_Bell

The_Bell Member

If you aren't happy, I think you have your answer already.

Welcome to the forum.

4. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

Or get them to knock $100 off...

5. Steadfastly

Steadfastly Member

This and maybe get a $25.00 gift card for future purchases.

6. arctic

arctic Member

Yeah, return it. Before I buy anything used from GC, or any store for that matter, I call them and have them look it over. They’ll usually even send you pics if you ask. ;)

derekd, budglo58 and Sludgefeast_84 like this.
  7. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Pic isn't showing.

8. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

Yeah, return it or try and get at least a 20% scratch and dent discount. Their own definitions of Great' condition is: This product shows little signs of use and all controls are completely functional. It may have minor surface scratches. That certainly doesn't include gouges!

If you return it, I'd also argue for getting your shipping refunded since this was clearly not as advertised (not just that you didn't like it).

Sludgefeast_84 likes this.
  9. Sludgefeast_84

Sludgefeast_84 Member

Ugh...I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I read how to do it on this page through imgur, so I got the app and uploaded it there. Then I clicked on the image icon and pasted the link...what am I missing here??

10. RRfireblade

RRfireblade Member

Get them to discount it and since it's on the back, have the gouge/finish repaired. Done.

Calfee Jones likes this.
  11. Sludgefeast_84

Sludgefeast_84 Member

How much do you think that would cost?

12. RRfireblade

RRfireblade Member

Hard to say without a picture, but a basic fill in touch up should be under a hundred bucks. Could be under 50.

13. guitararmy

guitararmy Member

Considering a new one from MusiciansFriend is $499 with free shipping I would return it. MF also puts them on sale as a Stupid Deal from time to time (the ASAT model goes on sale more often)

ckfoxtrot and Sludgefeast_84 like this.
  14. Synex7254

Synex7254 Member

Return it and ALWAYS open the box @ GC before leaving the store...if damaged you can save yourself some time but doing the return right there and then.

15. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

The guitar and its playability are to your liking? Yes, then, $100 off is fair. One problem, you sound a bit anal,(take no offense). But if you are, a gash/gouge on the back of your guitar could twist your nerves. That is not worth having the guitar if you can not get past the gouge. And there is no way in the world it is worth repairing.

16. Vanilla Latte

Vanilla Latte Member

Load it into Imgur. Then click the picture to view it in Imgur. Then on the right click the "copy" button next to "Direct Link". Then on this forum click image (next to emotes) and paste in the URL.

17. monty

monty Member

A "huge gouge" that was undisclosed? No question, send her back.

18. jvin248

jvin248 Member

Use a little matching stain on the wood at the base of the scratch then build up with CA 'Thick' adhesive from Hobby Lobby, scrape and polish.

Calfee Jones and Sludgefeast_84 like this.
  19. dcbc

dcbc Member

From Guitar Center's Website:

Condition

Excellent
    This product is in "like new" condition and shows little to no signs of use. Free from blemishes, scratches, and user wear. All controls are completely functional.
    Great
    This product shows little signs of use and all controls are completely functional. It may have minor surface scratches.
    Good
    This product is completely functional and shows some signs of use. It may have surface scratches and/or dings and dents.
    Fair
    This product is functional but shows signs of heavy use that could include, but not limited to; scratches, dings, dent, chips, and worn parts/controls.
    Poor
    This product shows significant cosmetic and functional wear. It may need repair and/or part(s) replaced.

With that being said, when it comes to used guitars from GC, I always call. They will get someone on the phone at the store for a hands on assessment. What's more, they will cut you a discount on used gear based on that assessment. I think I got $650 knocked off a floor model (64 AV Telecaster) doing just this. It definitely had some dings, but with the discount, I was actually pleased to have this "new" guitar with some character marks on it. Plays like a dream t'boot.

But, as with anything GC, if you're bothered by it, return it. It's about as easy of a return as you'll find in the guitar business.

20. sunking101

sunking101 Member

Large undisclosed gouge on a secondhand guitar that's only $100 cheaper than a new one? It would already be on its way back to them if it was mine.