• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Would you mind giving me a pick and string suggestion?

Jarrett

I've never really looked into the handmade pick and string stuff before. On my electrics I just use Elixir 10s, can't remember if it was Nanoweb or Polyweb though. Usually just grab whatever they have. For picks I just use Dunlop Gator Grip 2.0s.

Considering that is what I like, are there upgrade pick and strings I should check out? Thanks in advance.

Sizeofanocean

I've been experimenting with picks and strings for years. I think I'll keep doing that with picks 'cause I just like collecting picks, but for strings I have settled on Elixirs, it's even come so far that I always wonder why people play anything else, they sound and feel fantastic, and keep sounding and feeling fantastic for a much longer time than anything else I've tried, what's not to like? I've tried D'addario's, several kinds of DR's, Dean Markley, and probably some others. As I said, I really don't see why anyone would use them above Elixirs, except when you want flatwounds or a darker sounding string, but even then, I've got the same Nanoweb 12's with a wound G on my archtop for more than 3 months of really heavy playing, and they're just starting to sound warmer, but nowhere near dead.

For picks I had settled on a Dunlop Jazz III Ultex, but this friday I got a V-pick small pointed, and it's probably becoming my favorite, a lot of clarity, very deep sounding, and even faster-playing than the Jazz III for me. I also have a cow-horn pick which I love, very natural sounding. Ultimately though I just keep collecting them, even though I almost never change my main choice, the V-pick is probably staying as the main one for a long time, but different occasions call for different picks IMO.

Picks and strings are a relatively cheap way to change your sound and feel, so they're perfect for experimenting

89strat

This will turn into a "Favorite Pick and Strings" thread, so let me be the first. Let me start by saying that I've tried EVERYTHING!!!!!

Pick = Dunlop Ultex 1.0
String = D'Addario XL110

Why? Ultex last longer, has a nice bright attack which I like, real easy to pull of pinch harmonics and can be found just about anywhere. They have a nice stiffness that you would get out of a heavier pick with it feeling too thick.

D'addario, last long enough tonewise, are easily available, and I can trade the boxes in for shirts. My entire wardrobe is D'Addario, hats, shirts, etc... They're a local company (local to me, at least) and make a really good product. I don't like elixers, my fingers slide off the coating when I bend the strings, and think their tone dies off too quickly.

charmboy

V-Picks are great... Quickly becoming my favorites. The Fab Four Pack is a good place to start if you've never tried them, but the Snake is just awesome!

funkycam

This is me too.
ultex 1.14 & d'addario 11's

But I would say go & buy a bunch of picks. That's what i did

This will turn into a "Favorite Pick and Strings" thread, so let me be the first. Let me start by saying that I've tried EVERYTHING!!!!!

Pick = Dunlop Ultex 1.0
String = D'Addario XL110

Why? Ultex last longer, has a nice bright attack which I like, real easy to pull of pinch harmonics and can be found just about anywhere. They have a nice stiffness that you would get out of a heavier pick with it feeling too thick.

D'addario, last long enough tonewise, are easily available, and I can trade the boxes in for shirts. My entire wardrobe is D'Addario, hats, shirts, etc... They're a local company (local to me, at least) and make a really good product. I don't like elixers, my fingers slide off the coating when I bend the strings, and think their tone dies off too quickly.

Trending Topics