Would you mind giving me a pick and string suggestion?

M

Member 1762

I've never really looked into the handmade pick and string stuff before. On my electrics I just use Elixir 10s, can't remember if it was Nanoweb or Polyweb though. Usually just grab whatever they have. For picks I just use Dunlop Gator Grip 2.0s.

Considering that is what I like, are there upgrade pick and strings I should check out? Thanks in advance.

Sizeofanocean

I've been experimenting with picks and strings for years. I think I'll keep doing that with picks 'cause I just like collecting picks, but for strings I have settled on Elixirs, it's even come so far that I always wonder why people play anything else, they sound and feel fantastic, and keep sounding and feeling fantastic for a much longer time than anything else I've tried, what's not to like? I've tried D'addario's, several kinds of DR's, Dean Markley, and probably some others. As I said, I really don't see why anyone would use them above Elixirs, except when you want flatwounds or a darker sounding string, but even then, I've got the same Nanoweb 12's with a wound G on my archtop for more than 3 months of really heavy playing, and they're just starting to sound warmer, but nowhere near dead.

For picks I had settled on a Dunlop Jazz III Ultex, but this friday I got a V-pick small pointed, and it's probably becoming my favorite, a lot of clarity, very deep sounding, and even faster-playing than the Jazz III for me. I also have a cow-horn pick which I love, very natural sounding. Ultimately though I just keep collecting them, even though I almost never change my main choice, the V-pick is probably staying as the main one for a long time, but different occasions call for different picks IMO.

Picks and strings are a relatively cheap way to change your sound and feel, so they're perfect for experimenting

89strat

This will turn into a "Favorite Pick and Strings" thread, so let me be the first. Let me start by saying that I've tried EVERYTHING!!!!!

Pick = Dunlop Ultex 1.0
String = D'Addario XL110

Why? Ultex last longer, has a nice bright attack which I like, real easy to pull of pinch harmonics and can be found just about anywhere. They have a nice stiffness that you would get out of a heavier pick with it feeling too thick.

D'addario, last long enough tonewise, are easily available, and I can trade the boxes in for shirts. My entire wardrobe is D'Addario, hats, shirts, etc... They're a local company (local to me, at least) and make a really good product. I don't like elixers, my fingers slide off the coating when I bend the strings, and think their tone dies off too quickly.

charmboy

V-Picks are great... Quickly becoming my favorites. The Fab Four Pack is a good place to start if you've never tried them, but the Snake is just awesome!

funkycam

Silver Supporting Member
This is me too.
ultex 1.14 & d'addario 11's

But I would say go & buy a bunch of picks. That's what i did

This will turn into a "Favorite Pick and Strings" thread, so let me be the first. Let me start by saying that I've tried EVERYTHING!!!!!

Pick = Dunlop Ultex 1.0
String = D'Addario XL110

Why? Ultex last longer, has a nice bright attack which I like, real easy to pull of pinch harmonics and can be found just about anywhere. They have a nice stiffness that you would get out of a heavier pick with it feeling too thick.

D'addario, last long enough tonewise, are easily available, and I can trade the boxes in for shirts. My entire wardrobe is D'Addario, hats, shirts, etc... They're a local company (local to me, at least) and make a really good product. I don't like elixers, my fingers slide off the coating when I bend the strings, and think their tone dies off too quickly.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom