Would you need a Gibson ES-335 if you have a ES-137?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Dylan61, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Dylan61

Dylan61 Member

Would you need a Gibson ES-335 if you have a ES-137?

Never had the chance to compare the two, so I was wondering if they are about the 'same' guitars.

Playing mostly, all the time, on a regular base, Blues.

2. Dotneck

Dotneck Member

no. nobody needs a 335.

you may want one though.

3. Dylan61

Dylan61 Member

Excuses for my English, gess I asked it a bit odd I gess, sorry.

4. Bob V

Bob V Member

Love is never having to explain why you "need" another guitar.

5. TommyStrat

TommyStrat Member

I have not played a 137 much. It has been quite a time so I do not remember the neck access. The 335 dot neck is my favorite guitar though and I play it 60% off the time with my strat reserved for whammy stuff. The Les Paul gets rotated in with the 335 when we do more Allman stuff. I would not enjoy playing as much without the 335. Try one and you will see why. I have some tips for hiding guitars from your wife as well if you want to PM me. HA!!!

6. sharbono

sharbono Supporting Member

I prefer my 335. I too use my 335 the majority of the time.

7. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

When I was looking for a semi-hollow body I played a lot of 335s and several 137s (they are harder to find). I ended up with the 137 classic, but I would like to have both. They are not the same. I would compare the 137 more to the Les Paul Florentine.

8. AllenL

AllenL Member

In the most general sense, you would not need a 335 if you already have an ES137. Assuming you're playing through something like a Fender Deluxe Reverb. They both will provide a semi-acoustic electric type tone. Playing clean, with the neck pup, the tone is full and has a nice woody presence. Overdriven tones are not as in your face as say a Les Paul. It has a somethat softer attack with less bottom and lower mids than a LP. However, the OD can still be quite intense.

Even with two 335s side by side, there will be some slight subtle differences in sound, but they will be in the same ballpark. With a 137 and 335, you will also notice some differences, but the basic characteristics of a semi-hollow will be there. Different amp EQ settings, strings, pickups and amps will allow you to dial in the sound you're looking for.

I am mainly a 335 player, although I have other types of semi-hollows. A 137 will be much closer to a 335 than a PRS hollowbody or Baker. These latter, although capable of a nice woody vibe have their own sound signature. Hope this helps.

9. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I've had had/played about every kind of Les Paul made today and my ES is my #1. It doesn't matter if I play it through a Marshall or Fender...clean or overdriven....it's just one of the best sounding guitars I've ever played period. Not to say 335's arent' great...but I'm just in love with my 137. I regularly get compliments on it from other guitarists to drummers.

10. BigPapiFan

BigPapiFan Member

If you are asking whether or not there is considerable overlap between the sound spectra of the ES-137 and the ES-335, the answer is "yes, there is." If you are satisfied with the sounds of your 137, a 335 might not necessarily extend your tonal palette enough to warrant the additional expense. However, as pointed out by the other posters, both tone and "need" are pretty subjective. Sometimes "want" trumps all.

11. jda

jda Member

Everyone needs a 335.

12. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

I would say you don't need both. I have a 137 and love it. There would be a lot of overlap between the 335 and 137. I'd say one or the other unless you really want the subtle differences. If you're looking for a second guitar why not a strat or something tonally different but still in the realm of blues?

13. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I'm in the opposite dilema. I have a 335 but have a good deal out there on a 137 classic. The 335 is my all time favorite guitar period. I have a vsb that is awesome. At the same time, for the money you can't beat a 137. If you allready have the 137, go get the 335. You will never regret it.

14. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

it's TGP, so:
    yes. you need both.

not want. need.

15. GTRICH

GTRICH Member

You are all crazy... you NEED an older ES135 dot neck with F-holes, not the ES137!!!

:)

16. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I was most curious about the ES-135. Tried several, liked one a lot, but could not justify it with a sweet old 335 at home. Very hard to generalize about any of these models. I've played heavy and rather stiff ES-335 examples. Mine isn't like that. So far it's been lighter feeling and livelier than any of the 135s and 137s I've tried. Though the 137 I last tried with Fralin P-90s had a HUGE sound. Very nice.

17. Strat-O

Strat-O Member

The 137 has a mahogany center block like the 135 right? And the 335 has a maple center block?

18. brain21

brain21 Member

My understanding is that tonally the 137 is part 335, part Les Paul. So the 335 might give you some brighter sounds that you are looking for, if that's what you are after. This is al based on guesswork since I have a 335 but not a 137.

You can also try a 135 as someone else suggested, which is essentially (if I understand correctly) a 137 w/ P-90 or P-100 pickups in it. That will give a brighter tone than the 137 as well. Later 135s had humbuckers put in them and the trapeze tailpiece removed. At that point I really don't know what the difference was between the 135 and the 137. Someone enlighten me. The 135s were only made for a few years. I think 1991-2002 according to the Wiki entry.

So if you are craving some brighter tones but don't want a p-90 LP type or a Fender I would really do the following:

Take your guitar with you to a store that sells used guitars. Try a 335, a 135, and maybe a 330 for the hell of it. COmpare them to your guitar. I say take yours with you because (for example) comparing a 335 through a Fender Twin n a store vs your memory of a 137 through a JC-120 at home, is not a real valid or accurate comparison. :)

19. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

SSSSSSShhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
    if he finds out.. then everyone will find out.. then prices will rise!! :Spank

20. stormin1155

stormin1155 Member

I don't understand the question.... what does need have anything to do with the decision to acquire another guitar??