Would you pay for your favorite band's Axe FX presets? (Failure content)

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Bradmeister, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Bradmeister

Bradmeister Member

Just a question for you AxeFX users......

One of my favorite bands is Failure. They reformed last year to tour and are currently working on a new album. They are crowdsourcing the funds through PledgeMusic, and they have a lot of cool things to purchase, including pedals they have used on the current/past albums, lithographs, vinyl, FLACs, etc.

One of the things they are offering are the patches they use for guitar and bass (10 in all) for $300 in support. If I had an AxeFX, I think I'd do it. I love Ken's guitar and bass sounds, and they used AxeFX exclusively for their last tour. In fact, based on their usage, I'm seriously considering one myself, but I haven't quite justified the cost in my mind just yet. Still, $300 seems a little pricey, even for a fanboi like me.

So, would you give up $300 to support your favorite band and get their new album and 10 AxeFX patches in return? (Or, maybe you'd just like that old Boss Flanger instead?)

See the other cool things they are offering here. I think they have some really cool options......

2. wcfields

wcfields Member

Failure is one of my favorite bands also, and Ken gets some amazing guitar/bass tones from his Axe-Fx. That said, $300 is too steep for me. With a bit of time and some tone matching, I don't think it would be too hard to dial in some of his sounds.....

It also depends what firmware he is on. Likely an older version, as they have been in the studio recording for quite awhile. So buying those presets may not translate properly, depending on that.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  3. dayn

dayn Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

U2 Edge's real patches for all songs (if he has created them all), yes.

4. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

No...
    ...but I would pay for IR captures done by famous artist's Cabs.

There are Holy Grail speakers out there that few have ever hear. Since speakers are about 80% of the final tone, getting GOOD IR captures of Holy Grail speakers owned by artists would be gold.

5. Lain

Lain Member

300$? No way. :rotflmao
    Not even for 10$. The thing about patches is that whoever made them used different guitars, different monitoring, etc. etc.
    It is much more rewarding if you learn how to make good patches yourself, in my opinion.
    There is also the factor of sharing when it comes to patches. No one paid to make them and if someone asked me for my preset i would feel pretty bad charging them money.

6. wcfields

wcfields Member

The pledge music thing is a great idea, especially for a band like Failure, but most of the stuff on there is way too expensive unfortunately. All I could afford is the FLAC version of the album..

7. partytrain

partytrain Member

The tone on that tour was just unreal. Really made me a believer in Axefx direct. But $300 is probably too much, unless you really want to support them. I also considered picking up one of the EQD pedal packages they had going but again, too expensive.

Can't wait for the new album.

8. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

It's a pledge. Of course what you get isn't worth how much you pay, that's the whole point. Like donating $75 to PBS and getting a concert DVD or something. Anyway, having said that, I'd never pay a dime for any preset regardless of the unit because I've very rarely use a preset that sounded anything close to good without major tweaking. There's something about my setup that doesn't play well with presets of others :D
    -
    Austin

9. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

No, I wouldn't pay for presets... but in the OP's example it might be cool to help the band do a record, so its more of a "good cause" type purchase.

10. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

NO. The only way I would ever pay for patches is if it's something with realy ethereal or interesting sound scape type stuff that I just cannot figure out. There is a guy on FAS (Simon?) that has done some amazing things with the II and I simply don't have the time or energy to learn how to program. I'd probably pay for some Skype instruction on how to set up patches like that on my system with my gear. Definitely not $300 though...
    I don't know how I feel about crowd funding for music projects in general.

11. olejason

olejason Supporting Member

I wouldn't pay for any preset. Learning the software and figuring out how to tweak everything is a big part of the fun for me.

12. Tybalt

Tybalt Member

I think crowd-funding is kinda weak. Often strikes me as just asking for hand-outs.

13. wcfields

wcfields Member

Not really. I'm not really handing out anything. I purchased the album in advance, which in turn helps them to make it. Without crowd funding, I doubt they could make the album.

14. Tybalt

Tybalt Member

Shrug, it still strikes me as asking for a hand-out - asking $300 for some patches is far too disproportionate in terms of value to cost ratio to take seriously imo. It's crossing over into exploiting-fanboi territory.

15. Digital Igloo

Digital Igloo Member

One of my favorite bands, but yeah, that's Ken for ya'. They charged $100 for a signed Fantastic Planet print from Maynard's birthday show at the Greek.

This thread is perfect timing. Had a nightmare a few hours ago that I was listening to the new Failure record. It was horrible. Cannot wait for the awake version!

16. jrh_67

jrh_67 Member

I wouldn't pay for anyone's presets because unless you are running through the same gear they are useless!

17. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

I think you missed the point... its not about getting something in return, its just an incentive to give money to the band. Usually they just give you a "shout out" in the liner notes or a personal message... basically something with no "real" value. Also, dont see how its exploiting anyone, you dont have to buy it, and its not linked with a concert ticket, access to the web site, etc. In most cases they have different levels you can spend too.

18. wcfields

wcfields Member

It's about helping the band AND getting something in return. That's the whole idea.

19. Tybalt

Tybalt Member

Nah, I'm not missing the point, you called it out with "it's just an incentive to give money to the band" - an incentive versus giving something of tangible (i.e. "real") value back in return - to me that's asking for a handout. Not saying that anyone is forced to do it, just saying what it is.

But whatever, if fanbois want to pay the band $500 for a boss pedal that's their prerogative.

20. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

Technically a hand out is to ask for money with nothing in return... so its a quasi hand out :huh