• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Would you pay good money for a used guitar that needed a fret dress or perhaps even a refret?

gkoelling

New frets and a plek cost around $500 here. Plus there is the hassle, and assumption of risk.

The price would have to be reduced, accordingly
The cost here is the same. I'd have to really want the guitar and the price would have to be dirt cheap.

bdm

Silver Supporting Member
I'm just curious how many people would buy a guitar they otherwise like that needs a fret dress and crown etc, possibly even a full refret, and would you pay decent money for it? Would you subtract just the amount needed to get the fretwork done, or would you want a massive reduction on the selling price?
Almost every guitar I currently own fell into this category. I know enough about guitars to be able to see past bad frets to know if it’s a good one. I love putting new frets in a used guitar! It’s like giving myself a new customized guitar. If the guitar is priced appropriately then it’s a non-issue.

Guitarwiz007

Gold Supporting Member
If you're factoring a stainless refret into the price then that's a considerable upgrade over part-worn nickel frets. Why should the seller cover that?
Yes, I agree. Worn frets are to be expected on a used guitar. Depending on how badly, if it's just a redress, I can do that myself. I might ask for $50 or so off. If it definitely needs a refret, a more active negotiation would go down. Depending on certain factors such as binding, etc., I would negotiate at least a partial cost of refret with nickel. Of course these days, I will only use SS but I would not make the seller cough up for that money.

jackaroo

Sure

if it sounds good with crappy frets...it’s going to be a winner once the playability comes up to par

I always compare the "mint" price vs "good but needs refret" vs "new".

If it's a rare/old guitar that is no longer made and I really want it, then a refret is a no-brainer. I'm fortunate to have a great re-fret shop very close to where I live. :aok

Silent Sound

I'd consider buying one that needed new frets. But that's a pretty big minus. It's gonna need a whole lot of plusses to balance out that equation.

And the only reason I'd even consider it is because I don't buy guitars online. I only buy them in-person, that way you know what you're getting into. If I was willing to buy a guitar online, then there would be too many options. It would be too easy to find another guitar I liked just as much that didn't need new frets. No reason to deal with the headache in that case.

Billyzoom1

Gold Supporting Member
I'm just curious how many people would buy a guitar they otherwise like that needs a fret dress and crown etc, possibly even a full refret, and would you pay decent money for it? Would you subtract just the amount needed to get the fretwork done, or would you want a massive reduction on the selling price?
I did...bought this USA Hamer Special for $350. I could have gotten by with the frets, but I decided to go with gold fretwire to match the rest of the hardware. Had it Pleked and new pickups put in. It was fine the way it was, but I figured for a $350 investment I could do the upgrades I wanted and still have a good deal. And I was super familiar with USA Hamers, so I knew the bones were great. So for me it worked out, but if it was even $100 more I'd have passed on the deal because of the fret wear.

Here she is.

Silvertree

Gold Supporting Member
It wouldn’t bother me a bit. If I like the guitar I like the guitar. I had a luthier really trusted up until I moved. Now I live within driving distance of another with a great reputation.

cap10kirk

Sure, I'd buy a guitar that needs some fret work. But I do my own fret work, so it's not a big deal...for around $30 and some of my time, I'll have brand new stainless frets on it.

aleclee

TGP Tech Wrangler
Staff member
IMO, buying an instrument in need of a fret level is kind of a no-brainer. If it's seen meaningful use and the frets aren't stainless, it's pretty optimistic to think that the frets won't need some attention.

If a guitar needs more significant fretwork, I'd look for some price relief, something in the neighborhood of 1/2 the price of a refret. I'm willing to eat some of that cost because to me, a freshly refretted neck is pretty much like a new guitar, especially if it's stainless and I know that my setups for the next several years are going to be limited to truss rod tweaks because there isn't going to be any significant fret wear.

Exodus5

Silver Supporting Member
I bought a 90's Telecaster that could probably use a dress because it plays and sounds so good AND it is Caribbean Mist, which is a color I love.

Aaron Mayo

If you’re talking a little work that’s one thing. If the guitar needs a refret I don’t know how I could tell if I’d like it or not by playing it. It would likely not play very well so I wouldn’t want it.

BluesBUSTER

Silver Supporting Member
I just did.

I don't know if many around here would call it "good money", but I always wanted an older Hamer and bought this 1980 Sunburst on Sunday night. The guitar is in great shape other than the frets being shot.

It has a style that I like, nice neck, weighs under 8 pounds, nice hot pickups. With a refret, it's still cost me less than almost any Les Paul that has binding on it.

That's a great guitar, that sustain-block makes a lot of difference. Seems to be in pretty good shape for it's age and having been played until the frets died. Congrats on a great find.

Bassopotamus

I’m probably a no. There are plenty of good guitars out there and you aren’t going to get an accurate sense of how it plays before you buy

Trending Topics