Would you phone the guy?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by drbob1, Jul 4, 2017.

1. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Over the 2 1/2 decades that I've bought and sold musical instruments on the web, I've only been really fleeced a couple of times: once a trade to Dave Yp of Dialtone Effects where he was going to build me a couple of pedals in trade for other pedals I sent him (nothing came back the second time), and the other in a cash buy of tubes and an amp chassis from a John Pappas in Enterprise, AL. That one was actually worth $1k in the late 90s so it was a lot of money. But there was no way at the time to track the guy and I eventually let it go.

That said, for some reason I just googled and there's still a John Pappas in Enterprise. I've still got some of the emails and the letters I sent him. Is it worth trying to contact him again, given that he's probably done his best to forget I even exist? What would you do?

2. 7thString

7thString Member

I would call for sure, but is there any way of being certain its the same John Pappas?

3. misa

misa Silver Supporting Member

What good would a phone call do? Just help you get something off your chest? Probably past statute of limitations by this point.

4. ellsworthman

ellsworthman The Geezer of Gear Silver Supporting Member

And I thought the Toneczar wait list was long...

la noise and Auditory Driving like this.
  5. sitedrifter

sitedrifter Gold Supporting Member

Wow OP, I feel bad for you as this must have been eating at you for 20+ years to bring it up and search for this guy. And you can bet that thieves do not remember their past thefts and even if he did, could care less if you called or emailed him now. Let it go man.

KnowTalent likes this.
  6. InkblotNebula

InkblotNebula Member

Yes, the very first website on the World Wide Web opened Dec 20, 1990. AOL for DOS came out Feb. 1991.

There was also Usenet before that which surely someone somewhere exchanged some gear over.

7. Muzik4Machines

Muzik4Machines Member

Yes, 25 years ago is 1995, got my first dialup modem in 1993 or so

8. HHKeegan

HHKeegan Member

Damn man that really sucks.

I guess it depends on what your motivation is ... Revenge? Self-actualization? Making the dude feel like a jerk? Getting the money back somehow?

The answer to that question greatly influences how I'd recommend you approach the situation. Also it's sort of a common-ish name so be careful that you're not going off halfcocked on some random stranger.

Auditory Driving likes this.
  9. john lan

john lan Member

just have in mind that john papas is probably john papadopoulos originally and papadopoulos Παπαδόπουλος is on of the most common Greek surnames if not the most common and john Γιάννης is very common also

but I would try to she if it is the same person without reviling that your true intention is to steel his car and his money

chrismellotron likes this.
  10. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I got cheated by a guy here who is generally regarded as a brilliant designer and super nice guy and whenever I see him mentioned, I'm reminded of the deal that didn't happen, so I get the emotional response. Hell, I even bought a pedal from him afterward. I don't have an answer for you but I can tell you that you're not alone. I think the sting from that one bad deal will always linger until it gets resolved. Unless you can just let it go.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  11. InkblotNebula

InkblotNebula Member

Anyone remember Bobby D taking down Jbrazz?

Neon Soul likes this.
  12. chrismellotron

chrismellotron Member

Wasn't 1992 25 years ago? Lol

pomfret and Jeremie Legault like this.
  13. TerryTed

TerryTed Member

Pappy?!?

14. Muzik4Machines

Muzik4Machines Member

in my head 1992 is 35 years ago ( i miss a lot of the 90's in my memory lol)

15. chrismellotron

chrismellotron Member

Hearin ya! My brains are scrambled from those years too. Lol

Feels like 35 years ago.

16. Dave Fox

Dave Fox Senior Pedalmaker

I say what the hell, call him.

Back in 1991 I built a Univibe clone for a local guy. He wanted to have it modified, I forget what he wanted.. but one day he dropped it off on my door step. I brought it in, put it on the shelf and forgot about it. I never heard from the guy again. I tried to contact him but he was gone. I've searched the internet but never found him. It's a shame, he was good guy. An amp guru. I went to his house one time and checked out his workshop. If you know an amp guy named Tony Nicolo who lived in NJ in the early 90's, have him contact me.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  17. KnowTalent

KnowTalent Just SAY NO to "Creamy" Distortion

Confront him on Facebook...and Share

If you know his address you could mail him flowers and a butt plug

Pay it forward

Let it be

18. Muzik4Machines

Muzik4Machines Member

https://shipyourenemiesglitter.com/

HHKeegan and KnowTalent like this.
  19. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for that link!

Hmm, do I carry a grudge? I really don't feel emotional about all this, but it'd be fun to only have 2 internet rip-offs left on my history.

And yes, in 1992 I bought and sold quite a lot of gear over the internet-using mailing lists like the Bargain Finder in LA. A lot of very confused sellers when I asked them (by phone at the time) if they'd ship to Wisconsin! Those were the days, when only the insane or adventurous knew or cared about a used BC Rich or Kendrick amp in some back-water of the country.

Squatch57 and Auditory Driving like this.
  20. scott58

scott58 Member

Lol I remember it very well got the modem in 91. Got AOL and the very first phone bill was over $700. It was another year before we got local dialup.

Auditory Driving likes this.