Would you rather have a Taylor 310 or a martin 00015m?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by still.ill, Jan 26, 2014.

1. still.ill

still.ill Member

Right now my two acoustics are a Taylor 110 and a Taylor 310.....

I was originally going to make a oo015m my 2nd acoustic guitar (after selling a 214) but when i played a couple of other guitars in the price range the 310 with its medium elixers won out at that time. I also liked the wider string spacing at the time as wwell

However now with both D'add PB 12-56's on both Taylors I feel like the 110 has about 90% of the tone of the 310. Also the 310's wider nut makes my hand feel uncomfortable with thumb on the bass note chords, although fingerpicking is much easier. However after going back between the 310 and the 110, I now feel that the 1 11/16 nut suits me better because
    I feel like one can get used to fingerpicking on 1 11/16, but adapting to the wider neck for big chords is harder. ---Easier to improve finger precision than hand size
    Also I like the fact that the most prevalent nut width is 1 11 1/16, and usually once I can play something in that nut width, its easier to pick up a guitar that has 1 3/4 width and play, rather than the other way around.

How does the Guitar Center 30 day return policy work if I already restrung the guitar with different strings?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  2. hendrik7

hendrik7 Member

I think the 15m is easier to play for sure. Pretty different sounding instruments though, I think both sound great although sometimes I feel Taylors lack in the bass apartment.

I'm probably one of the few who actually thinks Taylors 2xx series sounds better than the 3xx series.

3. teletalkin

teletalkin Silver Supporting Member

I have a 000-15 and played a lot of Taylors prior to deciding on this model Martin. I do like some Taylor models, but getting the Martin was the best choice I've made musically in years. Good Luck!

4. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Guitar center won't notice the strings... As long as you didn't put bootprints on the guitar when you were pulling the bridge pins! :aok

I'm really not a fan of the 15 series. I'd go 310 all day long, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

5. Curt

Curt Member

Funny, I've always thought Martins lacked in the treble department.

6. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

Being mostly an electric lead guitarist I find the Taylors to play really well for an acoustic but always wished them to sound more like a Martin or Gibson

7. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

I own a Martin 00015M, and it's one of the best guitar purchases I've ever made. No problem on the 30-day return, new strings or not -- I've done it.

I personally wouldn't choose a guitar for its nut width, but a lot of people are more sensitive to it than I am, apparently. I've got 1 11/16", 1 3/4", and 1.725" nuts on various guitars, and I switch between them without even noticing or thinking about the difference.

8. crambone

crambone Member

Taylor, for sure. Then again, I love Taylors and hate Martins to take that for what it's worth!

9. Irving Pye

Irving Pye Member

10. hubberjub

hubberjub Member

Very different guitars. Get the one that suits your style better.

11. AlanMay

AlanMay Member

Martin, I love bluegrass! That and my tech says he repairs 10 times more Taylors than Martins.

12. Silentoctave

Silentoctave Supporting Member

Martin

I love my 00-15m. I've had it 2 years now and don't see it going anywhere. I've played everything else under the sun but nothing (to me) feels/sounds as good as my 00.

13. pjblues

pjblues Member

I may be the other one who thinks that. Agree 100%.

14. Cream

Cream Member

Taylors are for electric guitar players who want to be seen with an acoustic from time to time.

OK, a little harsh, but go Martin.

15. TheoDog

TheoDog Member

An acoustic player really needs more than one, and different sizes for sure.

16. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

By "harsh" you mean "utterly ludicrous," of course.