Would you sell a really nice guitar to buy an amp unheard?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gasp100, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I'm guitar heavy and in amp wanderlust right now. I have a GREAT looking, sounding, playing, feeling G&L Legacy (S style, 3 bolt, sounds and plays amazing, my best "feeling" and looking guitar). It's my last strat, but I just do not play it like I play my Tele(s). I guess I'm slowly moving away from strats but I do believe I could pick up another one down the road for a similar price (maybe not a 3 bolt that looks like this one though).
    Anyway, I'm gassing for a THIRD amp and I've seen some prospects that might be taylor made for what I'm looking for (Vox/Marshall type). Also, I personally don't feel that S style guitars sound as good as Tele's through this type of amp (don't hang me please!). But a nice Tele style would be sick (in my mind anyway). Also, I have a guitar on the block that means a lot to me (a lot of history, etc...) that can get close to strat like quality that I really don't want to sell, but it's up there anyway. I could take it down and just move this one instead.
    What would you do?

2. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

I traded my legacy for a Deluxe reverb(not unheard)and have never looked back.

3. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

Sure, why not. It's just gear. It's a journey.

4. Gasp100

Now there are 2 versions of the amp for sale :drool
    This is why I need to STOP waking up and going to bed with TGP....
    :RoCkIn

5. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

Thanks for your random unspecific thoughts.

6. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

Not for an amp you've never heard.

7. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

I just read the title of your thread and shot back NO. Definitely no.

If you really like the guitar, keep it. One thing I read here over and over is people lamenting about some piece of gear they sold off.

Hold onto that guitar. If you don't really need it or you are on the fence about it, perhaps another story. But if you like the guitar, I wouldn't let it go.

As far as getting an amp you haven't heard, that's a tough one. Wouldn't be my choice. But I realize a lot of folks get hooked on some far off amp and can only hear it buy buying it. If you do go for it, perhaps good to have a plan on how you will unload it if it's not quite your thing.

I had some great amps but only one really good guitar. Then I got a really nice Nocaster and it was like getting a whole bunch of cool new amps. So I'm thinking hold onto the good guitars you have.

8. Gasp100

You're welcome... :messedup

9. scottlr

scottlr Member

I might be inclined to sell or trade one of my Gretsches to get a 1971 Marshall 50 watt head like I had back in the day. Of course then I'd have to sell something else to buy a matching slant back cab for it :)

10. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

So now I read your post, which I should have done first, but wanted to answer your basic question.

So here goes. Tonight I helped a neighor spread some much. Brought down my "pitchfork" and shovel and we moved mulch. I noticed she had a pitchfork. Wow. This thing was old. It was broken in. The teeth weren't even. But it had been used a lot. It was an old soul of a pitchfork. My pitchfork is new. Perfectly good. But her pitchfork was the real deal. I would have rather had one of those pitchforks than five of the kind I had. No big deal. My pitchfork will work just fine. If I hadn't seen her's I never would have known I could do better. If any of your guitars are like that -- and really fit well into your hand and are good, I would hold onto them. If there's no real good feeling there, then maybe not such a big deal to let them go. I have on old Martin 12 string. A beautiful maple guitar. Twenty years old and just hitting it's stride in terms of the wood getting good. I don't play it very often and have often thought of selling it. But once in awhile I do play it. And I am always glad I have held onto it......

You still there?

11. Gasp100

Well, it all comes back to the fact that the really GOOD gear is just not around me at all... I don't even have a Guitar Center to check out new stuff. I guess I've just gotten sucked up into the "semi-boutique" market (well, at this point let's call it boutique). I mean, clips are one thing but hearing the amp in person is quite different (obviously). But that's why TGP is great because you can glean a good deal of information (mostly honest opinions) from people who have owned or currently own the gear you are looking at. I'm looking at Winfield, Hayseed, Top Hat, etc... (I'm on the list for the AxeFx as well; I might just hang tight and wait until my name is called). It's all a crap shoot and it's a journey, I agree with that wholeheartedly. But, overall I think I've lucked out on some great gear that I would have never had a chance to play without taking a chance. I should pick up the guitar and play it tonight before I make a decision...
    :BEER

12. TheOneOff

TheOneOff Silver Supporting Member

Good, way to look at it.

And OP, I noticed that you have (2) G&L's right now...so I say GO FOR IT!

13. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

It would depend on how much I liked the guitar and how bad I wanted the amp.

14. OrangeAD30TC

OrangeAD30TC The venerable H.W.

I would sell any of my guitars if the money they fetched got me a dumble. Then I would ebay the dumble and use a fake account to drive up the bids in a bidding war with John mayer. Then with the Gazillion dollays i get I would buy my guitar back and maybe another one just for fun. and a few amps. Probabaly finish my home. Buy a new car. and retire. By the way I am 21, but with these dumble prices who needs a job.

15. swimrunner

swimrunner Member

Sounds like a plan.

16. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Amps are fine to buy used. Especially if it's from TGP.

17. Caretaker

Caretaker Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

If you are willing to part with the guitar, it is time to move on to something new. IMO, an instrument is a keeper or it isn`t.

18. JSeth

JSeth Member

Corvallis, Oregon... "Heart of the Valley"...
    NO - not if I loved the guitar...

19. Custom50

Custom50 Member

I wouldn't. You really like the guitar and haven't heard the amp. You'd be taking a risk and may end up disappointed. Wait until you can try the amp you want and then sell the guitar.

20. chrisrob

chrisrob Member

I get antsy sometimes and trade stuff that I later wish I had. I generally go with the "will I be able to pick one of these up later" mentality. There are four outcomes of that question:
    1. Yes, I will. (Sell)
    2. Yes or no, but I'm not sure the situation where I would need to. (Sell)
    3. Yes, but it wouldn't have the sentimental value of this guitar. I could buy another G&L but I can't replace THIS guitar. (Keep)
    4. No. (Keep)

This is what the rest of the world doesn't understand about me.