Would you sell half your gear to buy the best guitar you ever played?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jujo, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

Peeps,

I think I have found the best guitar I've ever played. I've played the guitar twice, each time was about 2 months apart. Both times I played it, I thought it was the best guitar I ever played and it hit me right away.

I'm not going to say what the guitar is because that really doesn't matter..only the concept matters.

Would you 2/3rds of your gear- (2 really great frickin' guitars, some pedals, and speakers) to buy the best guitar you ever played? Even if it cost more than you ever thought you'd spend on a guitar?

I'd be left with 2 guitars (including the new one), 1 amp, and a 4 pedals. Really that's all that's needed to make music, but I want to see if anyone else has been in this spot.

Opinions?

2. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

I had the same experience as you. Played a guitar that I immediately bonded with, bought it and then sold almost everything else to buy another. I've never regretted doing it because I now have 2 of my favorite guitars and don't miss the ones I've sold.

3. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

4. hogy

hogy Member

Yes, in a heartbeat. The longer you're at this the more you'll realize that finding the perfect guitar doesn't happen very often.

5. Andre357

Andre357 Member

Go for it man....

I did a similar thing to buy the greatest sounding and feeling guitar I ever encountered.....

But I don't regret it one bit and I dont miss the guitars I sold at all ( pedals can always be replaced later ! )

I think all you need is a main guitar and a decent backup anyway....

I haven't thought about another guitar since....and I dont get the urge to go into music stores as much either !

Finding a guitar that really suits you is a cool feeling........

6. English Jim

English Jim Member

Around 10 or 12 years ago I played a 52/59 Les Paul conversion done by a very well known luthier with all original '59 parts. It was stunning! The 'bro' price at the time was $10k (he is/was a good freind). I hummed and ha'd. I would have had to sell virtually all my gtrs to pay for it. I finally said no. He sold for around $14k a while later. That gtr sold about a year ago for $55k. So not only would I have had a great gtr (maybe the best I've ever played - including several 'real' bursts) but I would have had a great investment also. Where are the '70's Strat, '80's Les Paul Custom and various other 'classics' I would have had to sell to make the deal? Who knows and who cares - but I still think about that conversion.

If you really like the gtr go for it. You may well live to regret it if you don't.

7. wreckfan

wreckfan Member

In a heartbeat !! You can really only play 1 guitar at a time - why not have exactly what you want. I don't think you would ever regret doing it - but you might regret it if you don't !!

8. m@2

m@2 Member

Yep, I think I would (although I have never had that kind of immediate bond with a guitar. seems to take some time for me)

9. devinb

devinb Member

I only have 3 guitars and two amps, and 3 pedals, so I'm not sure my answer would mean much compared to a lot of you guys...

I play almost exclusively acoustic these days, and have thought about selling both amps to buy another guitar, ironically another electric for recording with, figuring that the studios' amp rooms will be able to meet most of my needs, if not all...

10. AlexF

AlexF Member

you should go for it - provided you're sure its the one
    Al

11. frisco kid

frisco kid Member

I'm facing the same situation, kinda...i jsut got guitar that does it for me...now i want another one of the same build.
    I'm tapped so I'd have to sell two guitars that are awesome in their own right to order another one. A guy has offered me a price for both guitars but I'd be taking a $500 hit for the quick sale...would you take much of a hit on what you paid for your gear to sell quickly?

12. ~el gringo loco

~el gringo loco Member

I once sold an '87 PRS Custom 24, a Collings OM2-H and a couple of others to get a wicked '61 strat. It was an easy deal -- I played the strat for 5 minutes and it was like, yeah, sure, whatever I have to sell to get to $5k is what I'll have to sell . . . it was that easy.

Worked out great, too . . . I played the guitar for 5 years and doubled my money when I wanted to take a mid-career sabbatical. I only realized later that it was the best appreciating asset I had, but hey, the time I took off work was sweet, too . . .

Only word of caution I'd add is that sometimes the magic comes and goes; when I got that strat I routinely played over my head with it -- it was magic. By the time I sold it it was still a great guitar but it didn't mean the same thing to me anymore.

So yeah, if it's the one, get it, and if it ever stops being the one, well, I'm sure you'll figure something out . . . :)

~j

13. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Member

DO IT!
    I have recently changed my entire rig based around the "Quality over Quantity" argument. Could not be happier so far.

14. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Played? Through your rig, with your band or gig situation, full repertoire of songs, assessed its mechanical condition, standing, sitting your string choice, etc? All you have is a contender, IMO, 'best' takes as long time.
    How many bests of the month get flipped around here?

15. james russell

james russell Silver Supporting Member

The pain will be short lived, the joy of having a guitar you love will eclipse it in a moment. From your description, the guitars you will be giving up are good, but not in the same league.

I had to sell a very good boutique amp to get another amp that just puts a stupid grin on my face every time I fire it up. I hesitated and agonized about it, but am so glad I let the old go for something really magical.

I'd say yes to your question, I would do it, in a heartbeat!

James

16. prsflame

prsflame Member

Go for it! To find the instrument that works for you, and have the endless "chase" subside is priceless.

17. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

yes. I did this many years ago to help fund my grosh. I also parted with much of my CD and tape (yes, tapes) collection and haven't looked back.
    I sold 1 amp and 6 guitars and it's all good...

18. James

James Member

Yes, I would much rather have one REALLY EXCEPTIONAL guitar than 4-5 mediocre (or unsatisfactory in some way) guitars. I've done somewhat similar "upgrades" several years ago. Sold several guitars to fund a much nicer instrument.

:RoCkIn

Wouldn't hesitate to do that again.

19. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

Thanks for the big response guys. My instincts have not steered me wrong yet. I've never regretted anything I've sold. However, this one is tougher because the guitars I'd be selling this time are really most excellent. My current guitars are more than satisfactory, they are inspiring to play. This other guitar that I want isn't any better in quality. Its just a better sound and dynamic with my hands. Unfortunately, it happens to be really expensive- for my blood anyways...

There's no tricks involved when I've played this other guitar. I've played straight up clean into 2 separate amps and cabs on 2 separate occasions. No overdrive, delay, pedals, or any of that stuff. Just straight up clean tone at low and moderate volumes. The guitar stunned me. I did tried it with OD pedals but that was only after playing it dry for a while.

Also I don't have a big gear collection. I currently have 3 guitars, 1 amp, and about 8 pedals. I don't have a harem, so a change like this would be pretty drastic for me.

20. Ares

Ares Member

Do it!But before proceeding be sure that it is really the best guitar you ve played:
    1.Sometimes the mojo of vintage instruments can fool you.
    2.If you played a 10000 $ guitar of a friend made by a xyz luthier and rocked your world,dont be so sure that the one thats gonna be made for you will do so.I ve spend many days wondering why my friends guitar sounds like heaven,and mine (having the same specs) so poor in comparison)
    Would you mind telling us which guitar stole your heart?