Would you sell your rare, but rarely used, pedals?

guitarmania

Would you sell your rare pedals knowing that they will be hard to find later, even if you do use them very rarely, if at all?

Consider that you invested much research time before acquiring them and that you may change your mind about using them at some point.

Would you do it for the sake of simplicity and concentrate on, and be imaginative and experiment with, what you do use?

After all, lots of options out there nowadays.

Curious to hear opinions!

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
Totally dependent. The likelihood of the item being useful in the future should determine the sale.
Do you need the money?
Is there a capable modern option if needed in the future?

My example is I am getting a new Snouse Black Box 2. It might replace my 90's Rat which I could easily sell for about the same value. And if I eventually need an authentic Rat tone after selling, the ARC Soothsayer is readily available (small wait maybe).

Not much gear is sentimental to me.

Overdriver18

I don't see any point in selling anything other than super cheap stuff because I like to collect things. Like I've got a used Boss PH-2 that I rarely use but its a fun effect. I bought it from a guy who kept it in fantastic condition. I bring it out for like an hour every few months at that's it.

But i don't see any value in selling it. I'm not hurting for money so why sell? I've got a shelf with all of the cool stuff I'm not using and I still like seeing them.

kowalski440

Silver Supporting Member
Unless I'm using them, "rare" pedals are dead weight and usually get sold.
My cast-offs could be someone else's gold mine and I'm ok with that.
Plus, rare pedals tend to bring in a little extra cash that can go to other pedals, guitar improvements or even another amp.
It all works out in the end.

Kev O)))

I have a Sustain Punch Creamy Dreamer that falls into this category.

Had one, sold out it, regretted it, & had a &@$? of a time finding another one.

So even though I don't use it much anymore, I can't let it go 'cause I know it will be impossible or too expensive o replace again.

Ugly Bunny

I have no intentions on ever selling pedals again. They're small enough that I have no issues hanging onto them. I hate to think there're pedals out there I sold but wish I didn't. I like having a sort of "tonal library" that I can choose from anytime.

Catch

Analog>Digital Converter
Platinum Supporting Member
No, because I switch things out all the time. I rarely sell things unless my focus has so totally changed that I know gear is surplus (this applies more to amps though...).

71strat

No. They would cost to much to replace. And considering they've been paid for, for decades, IMHO its not worth it.

Nebakanezer

World’s Okayest Guitar Player
Silver Supporting Member
I thought about getting rid of a few to go toward a guitar purchase, but I'll probably hold off and just save gig money to get one. I did watch a Reinhardt Willard go on eBay for $289 not to long ago and that is what got me thinking about it. I don't think I could really sell my Willard though because it does sound great! Although I don't half a need for most of the stuff I have, I do like making noise on a Friday/Saturday night after everyone else goes to bed, if I'm not out and about!

bobbyatomic

Theoretically, yes, if I'm not using them it's pointless keeping hold of them, free up the cash and buy something useful.
Practically, I have boxes under my bed with about 50 pedals in them that I haven't used in years.

Steve Hotra

Silver Supporting Member
No.
I have a Boss CE-1 that was my first pedal ever purchased.
I've sold off a few guitars ( 1975 Telecaster Custom) that I've regretted to this day.

tremolo3

Unless I can't get the same sound of that pedal, I wouldn't.
There is a reason I still keep my Goatkeeper 3, even though I haven't used it in like a year.

mrpinter

Platinum Supporting Member
I've sold quite a few rare and very collectible pedals, and so far I haven't regretted it - well, maybe a bit for a couple of those. Like people said above, it frees up money for stuff that I'm going to use more, and also in my case, I'm kind of an incorrigible packrat; once in a while I decide enough is enough and I mercilessly go through and select items I haven't used for a while and get rid of them. It's like therapy. But I've unloaded some things I may have trouble justifying another purchase of with rising prices: things like a Dimension C, a few PN-2s and PQ-4s and an original Tube Rotosphere. Oh well.

Kylote

I don't have any of those... but I would be cautious about selling anything that may not be easily re-acquired

Trending Topics

Top Bottom