Would you trade a great Epi LP standard for an american standard Fender Strat?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jayjacque, Feb 13, 2015.

1. jayjacque

jayjacque Member

The reason I ask is I had put an Epi standard LP modded with Dimarzio super distortion and PAF pickups and a few other upgrades, recently set-up, and with a HSC, up for sale locally (just to feel it out how much I could get for it) and a guy contacted me trying to trade his strat. The strat is technically more valuable by maybe 3 hundred dollars, but I've never had a guitar with pickups that sounded so good as on that Epi. I had already changed my mind about selling it when this guy contacted me.

2. navin johnson

navin johnson Member

i'd do it in a heartbeat. but i like strats. i have a les paul too, but i play the strat more. i play better on the strat as well. it's a far better guitar than the epi, will hold it's value better, is way more resealable too. if you're not a single coil guy, then you have a reason to do some mods and add a hummer at the bridge. you'll get more tones that you'd ever get from the epi, and it's probably lighter too

3. bonchie123

bonchie123 Supporting Member

Do you actually like Strats? If you love PAF humbuckers, you are going to hate having only single coils to play with.

4. OiRogers

OiRogers Member

Seems like you answered your own question if you changed your mind on selling it prior to getting the trade offer.

If the Epi makes you happy, keep it.

5. indyrunner03

indyrunner03 Member

:agree

If you're happy with what you have why change it up for an unknown quantity? Strats are fairly easy to come by but a guitar that makes you happy can be difficult to find/replace.

6. moosewayne

moosewayne Member

Personally, I'd break speed laws driving to the guy's house.
    But I'm a strat guy.

If the Epi makes you happy, then why sell it?
    If you're jonesing for new sounds, feels and flavors, save your pennies and buy a new guitar. Good used stats can be found 24/7.
    Even when you put a humbucker in a Strat, you never really nail or replicate the sound of a humbucker in a mahogany, maple topped set neck guitar.

7. Dunzie

Dunzie Member

I'd be more than a little suspicious about someone wanting to trade an American Strat straight up for an Epiphone LP Standard unless he intended you to add some cash to even the deal. Make sure you look at that Strat carefully and don't be pressured into a deal without feeling good about it.

Having said that, only you can say whether the Strat is for you. I sure wouldn't hesitate for a second if the Strat is legit... but I'm definitely a fan of Strats.

8. Mr. Crow

Mr. Crow Member

I agree, look the Strat over carefully. Might have ground away or pitted frets or other such issues. Something smells a touch fishy.

9. Dale

Dale Member

I am on the look closely page as well. Things like truss rods and other aspects that may be something to consider but not obvious. Subtle neck twists. This said if you love the sounds, and the guitar feels good to play why trade it?

10. ken374

ken374 Member

Strat will always be worth around 700 and the EPi 350 or so!

11. jayjacque

jayjacque Member

Yeah thanks for those last comments. Well, thanks for everybody's, but especially the part about being suspicious. I was already feeling that way, so I'm leaning toward just passing on the whole deal. I used to have an HSS lone star strat that I miss, so somewhere down the line maybe again, but no great reason right now. I've got a great Tele that I can get single coil sounds from.

12. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I play both, but there's no question the strat is worth more. I'd check it out if it were me, I could always sell the strat and buy another Epi with a few bucks to spare!

13. TaDaMz

TaDaMz Member

No brainer, in a heartbeat

14. hudpucker

hudpucker Supporting Member

The Epi is "great"?

Then keep it; selling off "great" guitars is usually unwise.

15. dezb1

dezb1 Member

16. nchesher

nchesher Member

I did that exact trade with a guy online like 8 years ago and it was the best gear deal I've ever done. Love the strat to death and has been my #1 ever since.

17. axe4me

axe4me Member

For the right Am Std Strat.......yes.

18. jayjacque

jayjacque Member

Got an update. This thing was for real, in very nice shape, played perfect. He just wanted a nice Les Paul with humbuckers without getting into the thousand plus a Gibson might've cost him. Basically he didn't care which name was on the headstock. Monetarily I couldn't resist. Did a straight trade and we're both happy. I'll try and throw pictures up in a couple days.

19. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Congrats!

and just to be THAT guy:

:worthless